Hardpoints

BlitzMax Forums/BlitzMax Programming/Hardpoints

Cruis.In(Posted 2008) [#1]
Asbtract of course.

Thinking about it, how would one put in a hardpoint on your virtual ship.

What I did was create the coordinates which the projectile originates from originally.

So I have two missiles flying out from two different parts.

and created the start point of each by going.

hardpoint1= ship.x -15
hardpoint2= ship.y -15
hardpoint3= ship.x + 15
hardpoint4= ship.x -15

missile1.x= hardpoint1
missile1.y= hardpoint2
missile2.x= hardpoint3
missile2.y= hardpoint4

so according to the ship graphic, while its flying straight from bottom to top and facing that orientation it comes out. But If i rotate the ship, obviously the missiles fire from another area of the ship graphic. Because theres nothing making it remain on the area of the ship I wanted the weapons to originate from.

how would one going about getting a physical hardpoint on the area of the ship, or can it still be done abstract like what I was trying.

Vilu(Posted 2008) [#2]
Here's a little code from my project, which I believe does exactly what you're after:

shot._x = _x + yOff * Cos(_rotation) + xOff * Sin(_rotation)
shot._y = _y + yOff * Sin(_rotation) - xOff * Cos(_rotation)

The code gives the shot initial x/y coordinates.

_x and _y and _rotation are the ship's coordinates and rotation, and yOff and xOff describe the hardpoint offset from the center of the ship.

Hope this helps.

Cruis.In(Posted 2008) [#3]
where the yOff variable is getting a value from what calculation?

and I assume the rotation is from a field in your ship type if I read you correctly.

Cruis.In(Posted 2008) [#4]
rofl

for some reason this works

Local Torpedo1HP=ship.x + 15 * Cos(ship.angle) + 15 * Sin(ship.angle)
Local torpedo2HP=ship.y + 15 * Sin(ship.angle) - 15 * Cos(ship.angle)
Local Torpedo3HP=ship.x - 15 * Cos(ship.angle) + 15 * Sin(ship.angle)
Local torpedo4HP=ship.y - 15 * Sin(ship.angle) - 15 * Cos(ship.angle)

hp1&2 are for the first torpedo object
3&4 are for the second.

my offset is 15 so i didnt feel i needed to create a variable for it. if i need to later because of different ships fine, but right now, 15 15, gets it off to the areas I want.

Will(Posted 2008) [#5]
I did the same thing by storing everything as an angle and a distance. Then x = shipX + cos(shipRot + offAngle) * offDistance

Czar Flavius(Posted 2008) [#6]
I know this isn't exactly do to with your problem, but shouldn't you be putting those hardpoints in an array :P

dmaz(Posted 2008) [#7]
or IMO a list

Czar Flavius(Posted 2008) [#8]
Maybe, but I'm assuming the number of hardpoints isn't going to change, at least not very often, so I think an array would be better.