Internet GNet Connection

BlitzMax Forums/BlitzMax Programming/Internet GNet Connection

Rimmsy(Posted 2008) [#1]
Ok, I'm starting to feel the pangs of intense frustration setting in. I've successully been testing my game using Gnet by connecting to 127.0.0.1 but when I attempt to connect to someone else on the internet I don't get any kind of connection. I've also tried connecting to myself using my non-local ip address which doesn't work.

I'm using mark's gnetchat.bmx as a base to attempt this but everything I do leads me to the inexorable conclusion that it doesn't work.

I've tried shutting off my windows firewall - doesn't work
I've tried opening a port in the firewall - doesn't work
I've tried allowing firewall exception access to the gnetchat.debug.exe file - doesn't work
I've tried opening the port on my router - doesn't work
I've tried setting my router to DMZ - doesn't work

Am I missing something? Has anyone got this working successully? Is it my setup? Am I protecting my pc so much that I might make it impossible to handle multiplayer games?

* run the chat and listen
* run another chat and connect to the remote IP it states.
* no connection

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

See below for Mark's code:

Matt

Dreamora(Posted 2008) [#2]
the one that is hosting the server must have portforwarding enabled, it helps nothing if you set the stuff at your end and connect to him as his router / firewall will just drop you.

InvisibleKid(Posted 2008) [#3]
works fine for me, are you using your real ip or the one your router gives you?

goto http://www.whatismyip.com/ to get your ip, it atleast worked for me using the ip it gives me. hope that helps

EDIT:
just reread your post and it sounds like you've already done that. for me and my game that i'm working on my friend can connect to me using the ip that that website gives me.

heres some test code i typed up its not much and its not perfect, but it works.

Rimmsy(Posted 2008) [#4]
This is where it gets frustrating. I have forwarded the port on the router and can't think of anything that might help fix this problem. Even *disabling* firewalls doesn't work!

What firewall are you using King? The windows firewall and he router firewall?

InvisibleKid(Posted 2008) [#5]
im using both windows firewall and sygate, sometimes i disable them and sometimes i don't for testing. when i tested your code i didn't disable anything the usual "blah trying blah connect blah...." warnings came up, i allowed and it woked fine. on my router i've tested changing the dmz and not changing before and either way seems to work for me.

EDIT:
i've gotta addmit though, i don't know/understand much about networking and routers ( port forwarding and all that). i just try things and they either work or don't, if they don't i keep trying untill i find a working solution.

Rimmsy(Posted 2008) [#6]
Well thanks for your help, King. I'm about to give up. I've tried for two days and I've had no luck.

Volker(Posted 2008) [#7]
Can you ping the IP you want to connect to?
This would be a low level test.

Rimmsy(Posted 2008) [#8]
Yeah, I can ping it and it returns within one hop and under 1ms. I can also ping my local IP, 192.168.1.4 and it also returns within one hop.

The port is open.
the firewall is off
the server is listening on the assigned port
but I can't connect to the IP.

It's really quite, quite annoying.

Foolish(Posted 2008) [#9]
I see a lot of demo apps, especially with chat. But has anybody built a multiplayer game / example App with GNet or RakNet they would be willing to share?

Drackbolt(Posted 2009) [#10]
I'm not sure about connecting to anyone else, but to connect to yourself through your router, you probably need to turn off loopback-protection on your router. On my WRT54G it's a checkbox called "filter internet NAT redirection" and I need to keep it disabled. It's meant to stop people from soaking up massive bandwidth when reaching local servers by going through the external connection when they should be using local access.