Game Development Shopping List...

BlitzMax Forums/BlitzMax Programming/Game Development Shopping List...

Arowx(Posted 2008) [#1]
Hi I have been using BlitzMax for a while now but I was wondering if I want to quickly prototype or develope games I really need to work with a set of Frameworks/Modules that can be used together...

So I think that I would need the following for 2D games:
1. Tile Engine supporting Grid and Hex based tiles
2. Font system
3. Particle/Sprite system
4. GUI system
5. Physics system
6. Sound system
7. Input system
8. Event system

So what frameworks/modules have I missed?

OK now ideally I would like a nice WYSIWYG editor to quickly prototype the game! ;o)

In addition a nice version control system and data driven entity system would be cool!

So based on this 'Dreamed' up shopping list does BlitzMax have these frameworks/modules and can they be combined to create a working game?

In addition is there or would it be possible to create a game IDE/workshop that combines these modules and allows games to be created simply?

The reason that I am asking is that I keep thinking up great game ideas but I keep starting from scratch and then I get bogged down in the 'framework' code, e.g dialogues, text, menus!

Gabriel(Posted 2008) [#2]
Why don't you just buy GameMaker 7.0 and prototype your games in that. If you end up with something you want to polish up and finish, then port it to BlitzMax at that point, and it'll be much easier to do, because you'll know exactly what you need everything to do.

MGE(Posted 2008) [#3]
I agree with Gabriel. Tourque 2D or Gamemaker would give you more robust "solutions" for quick protos.

Arowx(Posted 2008) [#4]
Ok I will give them a look, but has anyone had a go at building a game maker using BlitzMax?

Ideally it would generate the code from templates and allow the user to graphically put together the game. ;oD

DREAM(Posted 2008) [#5]
Funny thing that, I am working on that very thing.....but didnt plan on selling it until a few years away yet.....working name Gmapper......for now you gonna have to build ya own......once you've built each of those components you have listed, if you build them right, you shouldn't have to re invent the wheel for each new proto game you wanna build........and try to always make it backwards compatible......all those things could be made as types rather than modules....just an idea....