compiled executable not working

BlitzMax Forums/BlitzMax Programming/compiled executable not working

EnigmaticGames(Posted 2008) [#1]
Hey All,

I am having a issue with BlitzMax. When I compile my program, the compiled version works fine on the system in which it was compiled on (windows vista), but when I try this program on any other windows computer it loads a black screen then exits.

Any Ideas?

GfK(Posted 2008) [#2]
Missing sounds/graphics/other external files would be the obvious response.

N(Posted 2008) [#3]
That's about the only general cause there is for these sorts of things.

Czar Flavius(Posted 2008) [#4]
Missing sounds/graphics/other external files would be the obvious response.
You'd be suprised how easy it is to forget these. Had me stumped for hours why it was not working, cos I'd forgot a file. Make sure your code becomes annoying if it cannot find a required file

EnigmaticGames(Posted 2008) [#5]
Hey All,

At first I thought i had solved it. I thought all graphics were using incbin, but they were not -- so I distributed the entire graphics folder with the program. It now works on other computers I have blitzmax installed on, but has not worked on the computer I do not have blitzmax installed on (I have no other PC to test).

EnigmaticGames(Posted 2008) [#6]
if anyone wants to try it: http://www.jbclark.org/gemheroes.zip

report back if it works or not -- that is the executable and any and or all graphics and or files it could be using.

GaryV(Posted 2008) [#7]
It sounds like somebody is a sloppy coder and not using error checking, or he would have known instantly the problem ;c)

It takes a little more time to add error checking, but it saves a LOT of time when it comes to tracking down bugs.

EnigmaticGames(Posted 2008) [#8]
i'll have to let my programmer know he needs to use better error checking. I know he already has quite a bit of error checking in the code, but it is all for runtime debugging -- nothing for "oops, this file is not there!".

Azathoth(Posted 2008) [#9]
Works fine here

Gabriel(Posted 2008) [#10]
You're paying a programmer who can't make his programs run on other machines? Are you sure you picked the right programmer? :)

Digital Anime(Posted 2008) [#11]
Maybe other files like dll's are used that might be missing on other computers?

A friend of mine made a mistake once that he used a dll in his BlitzMax program and placed it in the win32 dir because he thought it only works from there.

I explained to him that he can best put the needed dll in the same dir/subdir as where his program is, so he won't forget including all needed files.

Edit : Tried overhere, doesn't work at all

GaryV(Posted 2008) [#12]
You're paying a programmer who can't make his programs run on other machines?
Maybe that wasn't specified in the contract, LOL.

Kurator(Posted 2008) [#13]
int works here, but initally with broken graphicx

tonyg(Posted 2008) [#14]
Tried on my T61 laptop and nothing happens.
Is it DX or OGL driver being used?

Helios(Posted 2008) [#15]
Works fine here.

EnigmaticGames(Posted 2008) [#16]
Thanks for testing it everyone. I tried several machines and it worked on most, yet it did fail on a few. The few it failed on I downloaded the demo copy of max real quick and tried to compile and it did not compile throwing an error on an iGlass module

The error was thrown on this:
	Local p:Byte Ptr= GlobalAlloc( GMEM_FIXED , Len(txt)+1 )

in this function
Function IGL_ClipboardAllocString:Byte Ptr( txt:String )
	?Win32
	Local p:Byte Ptr= GlobalAlloc( GMEM_FIXED , Len(txt)+1 )

For Local i:Int=0 Until Len(txt)
		p[i]=txt[i]
	Next

p[Len(txt)+1]=0

Return p
	?
EndFunction

I do not see GMEM_FIXED referenced anywhere else.

plash(Posted 2008) [#17]
Uhhu.. GMEM_FIXED is possibly internal, what was the error? (unless ofcourse it was that GMEM_FIXED was not found...)

GaryV(Posted 2008) [#18]
The few it failed on I downloaded the demo copy of max real quick and tried to compile and it did not compile throwing an error on an iGlass module
Are you using the correct version of iGlass for the correct version of BMax?

tonyg(Posted 2008) [#19]
Do you have IGlass? It would be odd to have it but need to download the demo of Bmax. Anyway, demo is 1.12 (I think) and last IGlass I have was changed for 1.20.
Anyway, is the program using DX or GL drivers?