Sreensaver - Please Test

BlitzMax Forums/BlitzMax Programming/Sreensaver - Please Test

MGE(Posted 2008) [#1]
I've been tweaking the posted Windows screensaver shell code and I think I have it working stable now.

One of the things I had to overcome was the preview window. Some very strange timing issues are going on that I could not find an answer for, so I coded support for a static image that gets displayed instead. Other screensavers do this so I don't see that as a problem.

Please download the test screensaver, place it in your Windows folder and see how it works on your end. It's a generic saver, but I'm mainly interested if the preview, config, screensaver modes are working correctly.

I have no idea if it will work under Vista, so that would be great if someone could try it under that OS. ;)

Speaking of Vista, I wonder if the config files for the screensaver could be placed in the Windows folder?

http://jgoware.com/temp/BlitzMaxScreenSaverTest.scr

Once it seems to be working ok, I'll post the source.

DREAM(Posted 2008) [#2]
the preview image works on mine comes up pretty quick too, but you must be changing sreen res to one i do not have, i got this stupid monitor that wont do 800,600 and a few other more common ones, it just goes to a blank screen.....I think I have worked around the timing issues of screensavers still testing at this stage but my next issue will be the setup to allow access to an external config file....you know much about setting up paths for the screensaver to access a txt.config file while we are here.

I'll post a working preview version of what i have shortly...

DREAM(Posted 2008) [#3]
oh one other thing i have xp not vista just realised....and when you drag the property box around the blitzmax logo is delayed slightly......

while your at it test this one to...i have slowed the preview down , now its too slow....but better than before where it was racing a million miles away...

http://www.filecrunch.com/fileDownload.php?sub=23e51a16458b45f20b15f39a2ae3c131&fileId=139435

MGE(Posted 2008) [#4]
Hi Dream:

err..I'm forcing 800x600 for test purposes to see how it would react to a resolution change, sorry.

Yah, I'm running the preview loop very slowly to give back resources, I'm running it at 20fps, peeps aren't going to drag that box around too often so the update delay doesn't bother me.

Your test worked well, except in config mode, black boxes instead of text letters. Strange how these weird errors pop up! !@#$%

I know nothing about setting up access folders for config files, etc. I may end up using GA's framework to read/write to the appropriate folder. Would be great to have a stand alone solution for the screensaver.

DREAM(Posted 2008) [#5]
i believe as long as all resources are in the system drawer it should be ok....otherwise you have to set up paths and i am not sure how that is done...

MGE(Posted 2008) [#6]
hmm... An install program running on Vista is unlikely to give access to the Windows/system folder. We'll have to research that one. ;)