BLIde 0.9.50 update available

BlitzMax Forums/BlitzMax Programming/BLIde 0.9.50 update available

ziggy(Posted 2008) [#1]
VERSION QW 00.09.50 a (FULL VERSION) available
this is NOT A BETA version! hurraaaaaaay! It is out!!!!

For newcomers, BLIde is a powerful IDE for BlitzMax for Windows. Fore more info ( http://www.blide.org )

NOTE: If you're updating from a previous version, it is highly recommended to read all the documentation regarding Solutions, if you want to take full advantage of this new BLIde version.

This is a little change-log of this update:

NOTE: If you're updating from a previous version, it is highly recommended to read all the documentation regarding Solutions, if you want to take full advantage of this new BLIde version.

This is the change-log of this update:

# New Solutions project management, much more powerful and based on VS solution management **
# Built-in support for the MY abstract class on Solutions
# Improved the creation of compilation clusters for Solutions
# Preview of 3D files (b3d, x and 3DS files) *
# Faster load
# Integration of a new (beta) SVN service that assist the BLIde user to update the core BlitzMax engine, and integrates the rebuilding of modules and documentaion after an update is performed *
# Improvement on intellipromt for extended types, now overloading is assisted
# Fixed some issues with the documentation engine
# Integration of documentation engine for third party modules
# Multiple document search engine on the documentation engine
# Detection of missing documentation files at start up
# Better handling of intelliprompt
# Lots of small fixes and improvements
# Users can now save their own layouts and restore them at a later time*
# New organization of the toolbars
# Built.-in toolbars layout serialization
# Improved the built-in code analizer
# New BLIde Skin called Dark circle
# Preview of graphics and sound files *
# Improved Windows Vista compatibility for computers with UAC activated (Still UAC enabled is not recommended)
# Built-in support for embeded media files on Solutions
# Updated documentation

( * - BLIde Plus requiered for this feature)
( ** - Feature limited to 30 files per project on BLIde Free Edition)

This is maybe one of the biggest BLIde updates in the last year, so please provide feedback.

Armitage 1982(Posted 2008) [#2]
Wonderful :)

I see we cannot save the interface layout in this new free version... Well, maybe if i have a commercial project one day i will consider the blitz plus license.

But 29€ is quite expensive to add upx/ico/theme manifest (which i already use) or since i don't use them : Hilight for foreign language and Font machine.
Even if i must admit it's a large amount of effort. So it will really depend on how much i use BlitzMax and of course BLIde ^^

Why not donating now (let say 10€) and if i'm still using BLIde in a year donating (+19€) till the full License price (and get a 29€ License obviously ^^) what do you think about that idea ?

What do you exactly mean by "Full intellisense on non open source modules" ?

Thanks again for the BLIde free version, i wouldn't program in BlitzMax without it ! Really !

Damien Sturdy(Posted 2008) [#3]
29€ is not for those features, it is for the whole deal. It's for Manel's efforts. So for that, although indeed right now I don't actually have my BlidePlus license installed, I have still paid for it, because I think Manel has done a lot of good work. :-)

SebHoll(Posted 2008) [#4]
29€ is not for those features, it is for the whole deal. It's for Manel's efforts. So for that, although indeed right now I don't actually have my BlidePlus license installed, I have still paid for it, because I think Manel has done a lot of good work. :-)

Ditto - I seem to be using MaxIDE more at the moment because I'm not working on any BlitzMax projects - just editing one or two files. However, I still bought a license to encourage development for when I do use it as it really does help for large-scale developing.

I think 29 euros (approx. £20) is well worth it. Thanks Manel!

SebHoll(Posted 2008) [#5]
Sniff, sniff: Debugger controls and variable trees are still experiencing the usability glitches mentioned in the other thread.

plash(Posted 2008) [#6]
Can you turn off autocompletion in this version? (In the last version you could uncheck it but nothing would change) I ask because it's somewhat slow showing that huge list - and I can just as easy type it out myself (actually easier, since there wouldn't be any lag).

ziggy(Posted 2008) [#7]
@Plash: Yes, you have to uncheck the option 'Enable Autolist' on the preferences dialog of BLIde.

@SebHoll: It is on my todo list, surely for the first update of this new version, but not 'yet' there.

@Armitage_1982:
What do you exactly mean by "Full intellisense on non open source modules" ?
That means if you have a compiled module installed that doesn't include the source code, BLIde Free Edition won't be able to produce any intelliprompt on this module's commands and types. BLIde Plus will have full intelliprompt on this modules, getting the module classes, functions, globals and the like from the compiled assembly interface.

plash(Posted 2008) [#8]
Yes, you have to uncheck the option 'Enable Autolist' on the preferences dialog of BLIde.
Ah whoops.. I was unchecking "code completion".

ziggy(Posted 2008) [#9]
code completion is when you type, as instance Function xxx it adds the End Function counterpart. It is explained in the documentation :D

plash(Posted 2008) [#10]
It isn't possible to change the selected text background/foreground color, is it?

ziggy(Posted 2008) [#11]
@Plash: No it is not customizable. It uses the standard windows color scheme for that. Should this be changed? I can easily add this.

plash(Posted 2008) [#12]
PLEASE YES, I am currently using the zune theme (from microsoft) and I changed around the text background on blide (because pure white really hurts the eyes on late coding sessions) but the background I changed it to is the exact same as the theme's selection background! However I could change the selection color in the theme, but that would make other things worse.

Tachyon(Posted 2008) [#13]
Debugger broken.

I had an "Attempt to index array beyond array length" stop and the debugger didn't take me to the problem line (it just took me to the top of my MainLoop). The previous version worked flawlessly.

Is the previous version still available for download? I'd like to revert back until this is fixed...sorry, I cannot live without a working debugger.

Tachyon(Posted 2008) [#14]
Hmm...seems to work now. Not sure what the problem was. If it shows up again, I'll let you know.

Thanks for the great IDE, ziggy.

Armitage 1982(Posted 2008) [#15]
I was also trying to change this yellow selection line so yes this would be a good option !

Oh ok ! It's what i was guessing about the full intellisense. This is because every modules i use do have source code ^^

plash(Posted 2008) [#16]
Suggestion: Add more options to the "Enable/Disable Auto-lists". For example, I might remember all my types but not necessarily what fields or what methods/functions they contain, so an option to turn off auto lists for typing after ':', whilst keeping them on after typing a period at the end of a declared object would be great.

AlexO(Posted 2008) [#17]
Congrats on the release Manel! Haven't had much time to use the newest version for the past week due to work, but hopefully next week I'll be back at it :). Loving the new additions though (Especially the overloading assistance!).

Do you think you'd be able to extend the SVN integration from the core Blitzmax to user projects/solution files in a future release? So I wouldn't even have to leave the IDE to check-in/out, etc.

ziggy(Posted 2008) [#18]
@AlexO: That's planned for a future release! :D By the way, I would like to give a big THANK YOU to all the beta testers for this BLIde release. You've been incredibly helpful!

plash(Posted 2008) [#19]
BLIde doesn't seem to be saving my skin preference for dark circle, it keeps reverting to "blue jay way 2007".

ziggy(Posted 2008) [#20]
@Plash: this is a little serialization issue, fixed for next build. Also the focus issue on the debug floating window is fixed for next build.

plash(Posted 2008) [#21]
How do you parse modules? Just go through every .bmx file in a mod folder? I think I'm getting variables and functions highlighted from sample code that goes along with some modules out there (see minib3d, libxml, graphiz etc).

ziggy(Posted 2008) [#22]
Modules are parsed this way when you have the option 'Full modules hilighting enabled' so any declaration inside a mod folder is cosidered to be part of the module. You should disable this option as it is there just for compatibility reasons with earlier BLIde versions. Anyway I'll improve this for the next build.

plash(Posted 2008) [#23]
I turned it off but things were still getting capitalization.
Tried rebuilding module cache, did nothing.

ziggy(Posted 2008) [#24]
@Plash: Any source code in the docs folder is ignored by the parser, so you shouldn't get those files included on intellisense or the BLIde data base. There must be something more... any ideas?

plash(Posted 2008) [#25]
@ziggy: Yes, there are "examples" and "samples" folders in some. I would suggest building a list of files a module uses by reading the main one for import/includes, then just read those.

ziggy(Posted 2008) [#26]
That was how it was working at version 0.5 or the like, and the learning modules keywords could take about 3 minutes...
I'll take a look if this can be solved somehow

AlexO(Posted 2008) [#27]

# New BLIde Skin called Dark circle

Where do I get this? I've installed the new blide and don't see it.

plash(Posted 2008) [#28]
From the menu bar, Windows->Skins->Dark circle.

ziggy(Posted 2008) [#29]
@Plash: I would like to send you a new Build for you to test if the issue with modules is properly fixed. It seems to be working ok now, using dependencies detection for every module (and it is fast!). Can I use the email in your profile?

plash(Posted 2008) [#30]
Sure thing :)

plash(Posted 2008) [#31]
I'm assuming this is a version which highlights by reading import/includes, and I think your paths are incorrect, as I keep getting messages similar to this "There was an error accesing the file C:\Program Files\BlitzMax\mod\klepto.mod\minib3d.mod\TPhysik.bmx. Unable to read data." on rebuilding module cache. That should be "minib3d.mod\inc\TPhysik.bmx", as the import is "inc/TPhysik.bmx".
It also only seems to be showing the error on modules that have nested includes.

ziggy(Posted 2008) [#32]
Thanks, please, can you send me the klepto version of the minib3d module, as it seems it is not working properly with this module?

plash(Posted 2008) [#33]
It's certainly not only klepto's module, I also got it on koriolis.bufferedstream, koriolis.zipstream, irrlicht.mod.core.mod, and alot of others. Eventually I got tired of pressing enter, so I just held down the enter key (which worked :).

Anyhoo, you can get klepto.minib3d here: http://www.minib3d.com/doku.php?id=start:downloads (the link is at the bottom, as it is the extended version).

ziggy(Posted 2008) [#34]
Ok, I think I've got it, I've send you another build. Tested to work with some modules, such as minib3d libxml and the like.

plash(Posted 2008) [#35]
Yay! that works perfectly, and no more samples identifiers are being highlighted/capitalized.

EDIT: Some more issues: If you make a single line of calling a function (this happens in other cases, this is just an example) if you add a comment to the end and modify the text on that line it will keep adding spaces right before the comment.

Instructions to reproduce: Add a character (doesn't matter which, and this doesn't have to be adding, you can remove characters aswell and it will still happen) inside the parentheses and then move your cursor out of the parenthesis. Repeat and you will see spaces being added before the comment.
test() 'comment

ie. the above could become
test(abcdefghijklmno)               'comment

NOTE: You have to add a newline to the end of the code, for moving the cursor off the function line.

ziggy(Posted 2008) [#36]
Great! I think I will have to update (officially) BLIde soon

EDIT: This is a formating cosmetic issue. It'll be fixed for next official build.

plash(Posted 2008) [#37]
See my edit above for another issue.

There is a formatting issue with array brackets aswell ( [] )
Local a:Int[] , value:Int 'everywhere a comma is used after [] a space is added

passarray(a, 0)

Function passarray(b:Int[] , c:Int = 2) 'ditto.
Function passarray2(b:Int[] ) 'notice how even if there is no comma, it will add a space afterwards aswell

You can remove the spaces after the last bracket ']', if you move off that line it will be placed again.

ziggy(Posted 2008) [#38]
Ok, also fixed for next build ;D

klepto2(Posted 2008) [#39]
Sorry, just a side note: Could you mention that this needs a previous installed Version of Blide. I had to uninstall Blide yesterday and today i have tried to install the new version and it complains about not finding a previous version to uninstall :)

[Edit]
After trying to install a previous Version now, it complains the same issue on any previous version :(

Hotshot2005(Posted 2008) [#40]
when I have install them and I got the error saying "The Application failed to initialize properly (0xc000135) click on ok to terminate the Application"

What I am doing wrong?

ziggy(Posted 2008) [#41]
@Hotshot2005: You have to install .net framework 2.0 or greater to run BLIde. Otherwise it won't start properly.

AlexO(Posted 2008) [#42]
just a minor note on the uninstallation process:
i was re-installing the latest version of blide and during the uninstall after i select to 'uninstall' the next screen asks me if i want to 'install blide' even though i know it's going to uninstall it. Just a bit confusing to users who might not know the quirks of the installer.

klepto2(Posted 2008) [#43]
Well, i was able to solve it. the windows Software uninstaller hasn't uninstalled Blide completely. After running another uninstaller I was able to install the new version.

How about a creating a shortcut to the desktop due the installation process? I miss this feature.

ziggy(Posted 2008) [#44]
It shuld have been uninstalled properly, that's very weird. Anyway I'll take a deeper lok to see if I can solve any possible issue there.

AlexO(Posted 2008) [#45]
Noticed the new drop down features in the right click menu for the solution explorer. Awesome additions. I'm liking the 'Type file' menu option as it's basically how I use Blide the majority of the time (1 type to a file).

One minor issue:
clicking 'cancel' on the type name dialog box still creates the type file.

also a suggestion:
would be nice to name the 'newfile.bmx' the same name as the type you type in the name dialog box so I don't have to rename it all the time.

ziggy(Posted 2008) [#46]
@Alexo: Thanks for the feedback! Yes, I'm improving this for the next build :D

AlexO(Posted 2008) [#47]
just some things I've come across on a bigger project in blide:

bugs/issues/usability:
1. There doesn't seem to be good intellisense support for multi-dimensional arrays. It had me confused for a bit because the intellisense tends to be really helpful in catching compile-time errors as you type. I didn't get any prompting/hints with multi-dimensional arrays so I thought I was declaring them wrong, when in fact I was doing them correctly.

2. this one was really tricky as I didn't catch it until I looked over the code a 3rd time. This would've been caught at compile time but still...

Method Collide() 
		_newContactList.Clear() 
		_Collide(Self.geometryA, Self.geometryB, _newContactList) 
		_mergedContactList.Clear() 

For Local contact:TContact = EachIn _newContactList
			Local index:Int = _newContactList.IndexOfSafe(contact) 
			If index > - 1 Then
				'continuation of collision

contact._normalImpulse = TContact(_contactList.AtIndex(index))._normalImpulse
				contact._tangentImpulse = TContact(_contactList.AtIndex(index))._tangentImpulse
				_mergedContactList.add(contact) 
			Else
				'first time collision
				_mergedContactList.add(contact) 
			End If
		Next
		contactList.Clear() 
	End Method

Method _Collide(geomerty1:TGeom, geometry2:TGeom, contactList:TContactList) 

End Method

notice at the end of the first Collide() method there is a contactList.clear(). Now when I typed 'contactList.' it gave me intellisense. Which is all good and gravy, except that contactList doesn't exist in the scope of that method! It is used in the second collision method '_Collide(...)' as a parameter. "contactList.clear()" came up on intellisense. but when i went to 'jump to definition' it brought me _Collide(...) which is the 2nd method below.

suggestions for future improvement:
- in the search/replace dialog it would be nice to get a pop up saying how many occurrences were replaced when you do a 'replace all'. It helps with refactoring to know you replaced around the right number of words instead of accidentally replacing 400 instances :).

- change the parenthesis highlighting to be a subtle background highlight rather than an outline block. After coding for hours it starts to become really hard to tell where the cursor is in relation to a parenthesis because of the big white box that is drawing on top of it.

MGE(Posted 2008) [#48]
I really want to use this, but everytime I think "now's the time" I read about another bug. errr..

ziggy(Posted 2008) [#49]
@AlexO:
here doesn't seem to be good intellisense support for multi-dimensional arrays.
What do you mean exacly? I never use multidimensional arrays so i'm not sure if I missed something. If you could provide a code sample for me to fix any possible issue, It would be great :D

to the intellisense-scope issue. BLIde is improving intellisense from one release to another, but its still not perfect. In particular, when it finds the user is requesting intellisense for a item that is not in the inmediate BLIde database, BLIde starts a fast item-matching algorithm that gives a (usually) perfect intellisense items list. This algorithm doesn't perform perfect scope matching, as it would be very very slow for complicated projects. I will be improving this in the future.
[EDIT:] I think I could implement a scope matcher at the AST level to narrow the scope-matching algorithm area and avoid false 'positives' on rare situations. Would you mind to beta test it for me AlexO?

in the search/replace dialog it would be nice to get a pop up saying how many occurrences were replaced when you do a 'replace all'

I will :D

change the parenthesis highlighting to be a subtle background highlight rather than an outline block.

You can do this in the preferences dialog, under the 'advanced' tab. Not exactly a subtle background, but a negative background. If you want something very subtle there's a 'make bold' option, or even a disable matching braces display option.

@JGOware: BLIde is in a stable status. I would suggest you to give it a try.

AlexO(Posted 2008) [#50]
@Ziggy:

What do you mean exacly? I never use multidimensional arrays so i'm not sure if I missed something. If you could provide a code sample for me to fix any possible issue, It would be great :D

you know what? I just tried it and it seems to work just like normal arrays. I must've been going crazy that night, sorry for the false alarm.

I think I could implement a scope matcher at the AST level to narrow the scope-matching algorithm area and avoid false 'positives' on rare situations. Would you mind to beta test it for me AlexO?

sure I can help test a build.

You can do this in the preferences dialog, under the 'advanced' tab. Not exactly a subtle background, but a negative background. If you want something very subtle there's a 'make bold' option, or even a disable matching braces display option.

don't I feel dumb, haha. I was looking in the wrong tab. I had went to file->settings->"define editor colors and looks" instead of preferences. I went with the bold option for now as the solid white background is still too much for me (using blitzmax color scheme). Would be nice to have a color picker for that background highlighting to suit the user's preference.

plash(Posted 2008) [#51]
REQUEST: You have an advanced module builder, how about an advanced documentation builder?

ziggy(Posted 2008) [#52]
I'm not sure makedocs accepts parameters. I can be done for third party mods, not sure for official brl mods. The documentation engine is different for them. I'll take a look, maybe I could add a selection in the advanced module builder to select the action: compile, document or both.

plash(Posted 2008) [#53]
I'm not sure makedocs accepts parameters.
It used to.

maybe I could add a selection in the advanced module builder to select the action: compile, document or both.
That would be magnificent.

ziggy(Posted 2008) [#54]
It was docmods, before max 1.26, makedocs is another application

plash(Posted 2008) [#55]
REQUEST: If there isn't already, add an option to tell the user that the build was successful (for code, not mods.. actually it would be nice on mod/doc building too tho) in the status bar instead of as a message.

EDIT: And the message is 'Everything has been build' instead of 'Everything has been built', simple typo :)

ziggy(Posted 2008) [#56]
@Plash: Next version will display the build process has ended in the console window, and in the status bar. makedocs doesn't accept parameters. It builds only the official documentation for the official modules. Third party modules can be properly documented using docmods, so I'm still thinking on how to put all this together.

@AlexO: Did you get the beta i sent you?

AlexO(Posted 2008) [#57]
Yes I did. I'll be looking at it tonight.

ziggy(Posted 2008) [#58]
@AlexO: Thanks! Please, Let me know any issue you may find.

Digital Anime(Posted 2008) [#59]
I think BLIde will make creating and viewing some stuff lot's easier. Bought me BLIde Plus just a few mins ago ;-)

Only need to wait for the password/key to arrive in my mailbox... :-p

plash(Posted 2008) [#60]
It would be nice if the build/compile toolbar below the menu was a completely independent toolbar.

ziggy(Posted 2008) [#61]
@Plash: Done for next release.
@Digital Anime: Welcome! I've sent you the activation information

SebHoll(Posted 2008) [#62]
Is it possible to be able to allow users to edit source code while your compiled program is running? I know why you've decided to disable the text-area (people may get confused about whether the code compiled and running is different to the source), but it's often quite useful to edit the code as you are observing the current behaviour. I really miss this feature that has always been possible in the official MaxIDE.

Maybe a new setting, and a small indicator that warns people that the code has changed since it was last compiled?

Also, if you'd like to send me a test-build to test those tweaks you made to the debugger, I'd be more than happy to help where possible.

Thanks

ziggy(Posted 2008) [#63]
@SebHoll:
Is it possible to be able to allow users to edit source code while your compiled program is running?

Really? I could add an option to do this, but not sure wich side effects it would have with the debugger. This would also force me to make a lot of changes to BLIde. I would implement this if there's enough demand, but it is not an easy implementation...

The test buid... I'll release a full BLIde update tomorrow (or the day after tomorrow). All the focus issues with the debuger have been fixed, but the debug tree has still some flickering when refreshing. I'm working on it ...

plash(Posted 2008) [#64]
not sure which side effects it would have with the debugger
Most certainly line position problems. Example: I run my program, add a few lines. The debugger finds an error after I edit the code and goes to the wrong line in the code because I changed the size of it.

SebHoll(Posted 2008) [#65]
Really? I could add an option to do this, but not sure wich side effects it would have with the debugger. This would also force me to make a lot of changes to BLIde. I would implement this if there's enough demand, but it is not an easy implementation...

Fair enough! Plash mentions an obvious problem, but I still like to tweak certain things all the same (knowing full well the debugger may choose the wrong line when editing source code). If you feel it is too much effort, it doesn't matter.

It's funny really - even though I'm a BLIde Plus license holder and really value BLIde's more advanced features when coding large projects, I do find myself admiring the sheer simplicity that is the official MaxIDE (warts and all). That's not to say that BLIde Plus hasn't paid for itself several times over - cheers Ziggy!

plash(Posted 2008) [#66]
Does MaxIDE have a system to show the correct line for the problem I mentioned?

It wouldn't actually be that hard, just probably not very memory friendly. Heres how I see it, when in debug BLide could keep track of the lines added/deleted, then when an error comes up you could check if the code above the line has been modified, then just add/remove the number of lines that were modified before showing where the error occurred.

plash(Posted 2008) [#67]
Found a bug: When doing Build (Ctrl + F5) on a module BLide does not save the code before compiling, you have to manually save before compiling.

AlexO(Posted 2008) [#68]
@Ziggy
I just tried the new build you sent and the intellisense issues seems fixed now! thanks!

While I'm in the middle of coding I just realized another thing that would help improve BLIde usage:
- make project files more SVN friendly (any type of version control for that matter). Whenever I do a save on a project without actually adding/removing files or editing a project settings it always alters the project file in some way. It looks like it re-generates the class names for 'My' and does something else in the blide solution (timestamps perhaps?). It's just a bit annoying to always have a nagging 'pending changes' on my SVN client at the root level when all I did was change some code in some folders below. Can anything be done about this? It's more of a 'nicety' I noticed from working with Visual Studio projects all day.

*EDIT*
BTW the compiling seems faster now. Awesome job!
And the auto-naming of files for creating Type classes! BLIde just keeps getting better and better!

AlexO(Posted 2008) [#69]
found a bug with arrays, this is probably what I originally had issues with but couldn't put my finger on it. Below is a simple example to replicate the issue

Type MyType
	Field _arr:Other[]

Method New()
		_arr = New Other[30]
	End Method

Method Update()
		_arr[0]. ' <---NO intellisense
	End Method
End Type

Type Other
	Field Position:Float

Method Do()

End Method
End Type

Local arr:Other[30]

arr[0].Do() ' <--- received Intellisense

when referencing arrays as fields inside a type intellisense doesn't respond. but when I reference outside in the main body of the file it works.

I am running "00.09.51 A"

*EDIT*

This seems to be a more generic problem with scoping. I am not getting a parameter list in the same situation. Below is another example showing intellisense won't show the parameter list for the 'Add' method when typed inside another type.
Global o:Other = New Other
o.Add(New MyType, 0) ' <-- WORKING intellisense
Type MyType

Method Do(num:Int)
		o.Add( '<-- NO intellisense
	End Method
End Type

Type Other

Method Add(m:MyType, num:Int)

End Method
End Type

plash(Posted 2008) [#70]
I noticed in the build toolbar there is a debug/release option, but none for 'quick build' (what does that mean exactly?).

ziggy(Posted 2008) [#71]
@Alexo, I will send you another build...

@Plash: Yes there's a debug/release option, but not a quickbuild option. Do you think it would have to be added there? Maybe as a checkbox or the like?

Koriolis(Posted 2008) [#72]
Ziggy, what about the BriskVM script supports you were talking about some time ago? Any ETA?

ziggy(Posted 2008) [#73]
@Koriolis: Still fixing some isues to the core parser. But it'll come soon. One question, can the BriskVM be used from within .net languages?

plash(Posted 2008) [#74]
Maybe as a checkbox or the like?
Precisely what I was thinking.

plash(Posted 2008) [#75]
Hey zippy, could you add a feature to save all the identifiers in the 'Local Shortcuts' window (for a particular file, not all that are currently loaded)?

That would be EXTREMELY useful for writing BriskVM codesets.

Digital Anime(Posted 2008) [#76]
@Digital Anime: Welcome! I've sent you the activation information

Received it the same day :-)
Late response, but I like it...
I missed linenumbers in BlitzMax so Blide is already helping me with that. I need to go all the advantages, but my first impression is : "Keep on the good work!"

Tachyon(Posted 2008) [#77]
Is there a way to "Block Outdent" in BLIde like there is with the standard IDE?

ziggy(Posted 2008) [#78]
@Tachyon: Yes, make a selection and press Shift + Tab

Koriolis(Posted 2008) [#79]
One question, can the BriskVM be used from within .net languages?
Not yet, but given that there seems to be some interest in the support of C# as the host language, this is most probably something I will add.

ziggy(Posted 2008) [#80]
@Koriolis: I'm fine tuning the BLIde SDK in a way it will allow the creation of parsers for virtually any language, I think a BriskVM parser included in BLIde with source code (as a SDK tutorial) would be great. It is being developed still. I've got a native compiler that generates .net assembler wich is then linked to BLIde and it seems to work great, but the exposed API to the SDK is still being designed as I want it to provide a very flexible instructions set. As long as I have the first SDK alpha, I'll get to you to see if you can lend me a hand creating the BriskVM parser.

Koriolis(Posted 2008) [#81]
Sounds cool.

Damien Sturdy(Posted 2008) [#82]
I am really, really missing that find+replace in all files feature right now. X-D

AlexO(Posted 2008) [#83]

I am really, really missing that find+replace in all files feature right now. X-D

used it last night. I don't think it's missing unless I'm missing something.

Damien Sturdy(Posted 2008) [#84]
Thats find in files, not find and replace in files.

plash(Posted 2008) [#85]
I don't think 'Empty workspace' when blide opens, is saving correctly. The help page keeps loading up :/

EDIT: This only occurs when double clicking a .bmx file.
Otherwise it will show nothing, as it should since I selected 'Empty workspace'.

ziggy(Posted 2008) [#86]
@Plash: Ok, I'll fix this for next release

@Cygnus: This could be done as a plugin. So next major update should have this option on it.

InvisibleKid(Posted 2008) [#87]
haven't read through the hole thread, so sorry if its already been stated.

when you or atleast when i goto use the recent project or solution menu item, it pops up to the left instead of the right and is virtually inaccessible except for enough to know its there (but can't see the listing).

ziggy(Posted 2008) [#88]
@KingNothing: That's very strange... Are you using a dual monitor set-up? That's very weird. Can you provide more info? I've never heard about this before, so it may be caused by something uncomon

plash(Posted 2008) [#89]
In Visual Studio you can scroll a whole page below existing code (into a section with no text at all), if this isn't already an option in BLIde it would be much appreciated.

InvisibleKid(Posted 2008) [#90]

single monitor, i've tested all skins and all layouts. results all the same.

ver. 00.09.50 A
free license

i'm not sure what other information i could give you.

i'm using xp home and maybe related but maybe not, from the start button, to games ( i have soooo many games installed, 3 columns) it should popup on the left, but it pops up on the right and i can only see 1 1/2 columns. i'm running at 1024 x 768.

EDIT:

very odd, i was screwing around with adding solutions and stuff. now it pops up on the right side.

ziggy(Posted 2008) [#91]
@Plash: I'm not sure if I could add the scrolling option to BLIde without updating the entire text renderer, wich is something I would like to avoid by now, as i'm in the middle of creating a faster renderer and I don't want to mix experimental code with new features unless everything is heavily tested. I will take a look to see if I can tweak the current text renderer class to allow this kind of scrolling, and if it is not possible, I will not implement this feature untill the new text renderer is fully in production status.

@KingNothing: That's very weird. Unless you have a right-to-left windows condifuration (arabic or the like) or you have the recent projects or solutions list empty, everything should be properly prompted at the correct side of the screen. This positioning is handled by windows itself so I'm not sure I can make anything to fix this. As you told, this is happening to you also on the start button menu, so I think it is a windows misconfiguration. Let me know if you can provide any additional detail abut your particular issue.

ziggy(Posted 2008) [#92]
@Plash:
Found a bug: When doing Build (Ctrl + F5) on a module BLide does not save the code before compiling, you have to manually save before compiling.

I can't reproduce this, do you have more information about this bug?

@Klepto2:
After running another uninstaller I was able to install the new version.

Wich uninstaller? I've changed the components registration in the set up to avoid this to happen in future versions, but as currently official version could have this issue to some users, I would like to know how you did solve it.

@AlexO and all beta-testers: New beta to come soon with a alpha version of the BLIde SDK. if anyone else is interested, send me an email.

plash(Posted 2008) [#93]
I can't reproduce this, do you have more information about this bug?
Open a file like 'brl.mod\brl.stream\stream.bmx', change something in the file, and hit compile. The lines to the left side (that show what changes have been saved and which haven't) should not turn green (saved).

AlexO(Posted 2008) [#94]
What are some of the scenarios/possibilities you are trying to enable with the BLIde SDK? And what is currently possible with the SDK tool kit for this build? Not too familar with this portion of Blide so just curious.

ziggy(Posted 2008) [#95]
Currently the SDK allows the addition of options to BLIde, that is, deal with the BLIde menus, create new items, get all opened documents, modify text in the documents, analize them, etc.

The final goal is to let the SDK create new parsers for BLIde, so BLIde can be used to edit virtually any kind of source code. But that's just an idea. the BLIde SDK compiler includes a implementation of most of the .net functionality (it covers the .net framework on version 2.0), including the GUI library, the GDI library and all kind of wonderful classes. BLIde itself could be created as a BLIde PlugIn...

Take in consideration that the sdk code is not interpreted, it is really JIT compiled to pure machine code, so it runs really *fast*.

You can see on my latest worklog the source code for a very small plugin, it is very easy to understand and it adds the possibility to convert text to uppercase, lowercase, etc.

here's the source code of this plugin. and that's only a brief demonstration of what can be done with the BLIde SDK.

http://www.blitzmax.com/logs/userlog.php?user=6809&log=1414

plash(Posted 2008) [#96]
Fantastical! Any guesstimation on the next version's release date?

ziggy(Posted 2008) [#97]
What is the default file extensions for BriskVM 2 source code and can somebody tell me wich is the definitions file format? I'm making some tests with the sdk... By the way I need as much BriskVM 2 source code as possible for testing purposes, so if any user can lend a hand It would be great.

plash(Posted 2008) [#98]
Definitions? you mean command set? thats bcs, a script is bsl.

My worklog has a load of command sets. You should look over on http://koriolis-fx.com/forum/ people post code there when they have problems.

If thats not enough I can send you some of the scripts I wrote.

AlexO(Posted 2008) [#99]
I looked at the examples in your worklog and it looks like plugins are written in VB.net. Is that correct? Is it easy to interop with the SDK in C# also?

ziggy(Posted 2008) [#100]
@AlexO: C# is not supported in the BLIde SDK. it may be supported in the future.

plash(Posted 2008) [#101]
C# would be nice.

ziggy(Posted 2008) [#102]
@Plash and AlexO: I know it would be nice to have also a C# compiler integrated on BLIde, but there's a lot of work involed on making BLIde compile a .net language without forcing the user to install any of the microsoft .net SDK. So untill the vb compiler is fully tested and integrated on BLIde, I will not start any of the other possible compilers, such as C# or J#. I've started with the VB one, becouse I think it is a language closer to Max than C# in syntax terms. CodeDom can not be directly used, as it links everything it compiles to the running assembly, wich is not very interesting in memory terms. I've done it in a way you get any existing compilation error in the Code Analizer (ala visual studio) and reintegrating all this again for another language is just a bit of a nightmare. Let's focus on the little SDK engine based on vb.net to develop all the API in a good flexible way, and once the API is mature, we could think on adding a C# compiler or even a J# compiler. I've read on the worklongs somebody is working on a Blitz to CIL compiler, who knows...

ziggy(Posted 2008) [#103]
New version available.
changelog:
# Some fixes to debugger controls
# It is now allowed to change the selection color background color and fore color
# Fixed skin selection serialization issue
# Improved start-up module parsing for intelliprompt
# Lots of fixes to the smart text formater
# Improved Type file creation on Solutions
# Some fixes to intelliprompt. Now it is even more precise
# New button to 'document' modules in the advanced module builder (plus requiered)
# BLIde advanced module builder requieres a BLIde Plus account
# Build process completed in now informed in the console and in the status bar of the code window
# Created own toolbar for compile options
# Improved compilation time for BlitzMax application by changing the main thread priority of the compiler, on dual core systems
# Includes the first alpha release of the BLIde SDK

Now BLIde Plus versions and BLIde Free edition version have to be downloaded separatelly. All BLIde Plus users can get the plus version from the customers area of the BLIde website.

plash(Posted 2008) [#104]
Awesome, that text formatter thing was just starting to really annoy me.

ziggy(Posted 2008) [#105]
You can find some documentation on the BLIde SDK here:
http://www.blide.org/sdk/BLIde_SDK_Manual_and_tutorials.htm

This documentation is not near finished, and only covers 1% of the SDK, but there are some small tutorials on how to get the first plugin running.

SebHoll(Posted 2008) [#106]
I can't seem to download the latest install from the Customer's Area - the download keeps terminating prematurely anywhere between 2MB and 6MB. I've sent you an e-mail to the address in your profile...

Thanks

ziggy(Posted 2008) [#107]
hi Sebholl, I think I've solved the download issue, anyway I've sent you the update by email. Anyway, would you be so kind to tell me if you can download it now (I've changed a little bit the php conde in the site).

SebHoll(Posted 2008) [#108]
Anyway, would you be so kind to tell me if you can download it now (I've changed a little bit the php conde in the site).

Website link still doesn't work from my Internet connection, although the attachment you sent works fine. Thanks!

AlexO(Posted 2008) [#109]
Just created a basic metrics plugin (line counter) with the SDK. Very promising indeed! Great job ziggy!

ziggy(Posted 2008) [#110]
@AlexO: I've ssen your plugin, it looks very promising, it could be addapted to do some additional stuff I would really like to see on BLIde, but there are some missing options in the BLIde api in current state, like the filename you mention and the like. I'll improve this soon :D

EDIT: The plugin browser plugin is AWESOME! I'll give you an updated SDK as soon as possible to solve the blide-restarting requiered for plugin installation. In future versions, plugins will be compiled as DLLs so BLIde will start them faster, just in case you're using the sdk extension to check anything.

klepto2(Posted 2008) [#111]
ziggy, one word:
Awesome

The SDK is amazingly powerful, I just have worked with it a few hours but the learning curve is (if you know a bit of Vb.net) very steep. I have contributed a small Tutorial for those who want to know how to create their own windows with controls to Blide.
Keep up the good work.

Damien Sturdy(Posted 2008) [#112]
Awesome :-)

Ziggy,maybe this is silly, but I have noticed with newer versions that the inline help isn't working with Flow- We have types that exist but blide complains: "<x> is of unknown type" where I was expecting to get a list of methods and members available.

For example, TCompositorManager exists, and has three methods, but typing TCompositormanager in Blide, then hitting period, which would normally bring up the inline help, doesn't work.

This has only started happening since we moved Flow into a Bmax module rather than just a bunch of include files. Any ideas as to why this happens?

ziggy(Posted 2008) [#113]
I would need to investigate using the source of the module, Is there any chance you can send it to me, or if this is not possible, maybe just a way to replicate it. There have been some changes in the intelliprompt to prevent some issues and this could have had some unknown side effects. Have you updated the module's cache of BLIde? Does it happen with all types or only some?
I would really like to solve this as soon as possible, but I would need a little of extra info.

Please, go to the Framework Inspector (View / Tools / Framework inspector) and ensure the module is properly installed and detected by BLIde. If not, restart BLIde updating modules cache to see it that solves it, if it does not solve it, let me know any additional info you can give me.

Damien Sturdy(Posted 2008) [#114]
hah! did Flow grow too big?

This item has too many childs. Only a sub-set of the object childs will
be displayed in the information panel. You can inspect its items one
by one in the tree panel.

Any way to increase the size allowed? let me know what you need.

By the way, it should say "Children" rather than "childs".

ziggy(Posted 2008) [#115]
Ok, the module is properly installed, so that means there's an issue with intelliprompt...
Please, write the full path for your class, as instance:
modserver.modname.type.

and let me know if the items are properly displayed by BLIde. Make this from BLIde with no document or project loaded, just start BLIde, press Shit+Ctrl+N and in the blank document, type the modserver.modulename.TCompositormanager.
and let me know if the children of the type are displayed. Obviously replace modserver and modulename with the apropiate names.

By the way, Flow didn't grow too much, it is only narrowed on the framework inspector window, you can still see all of its items in the types tree and even select each item to see all information about it.

Damien Sturdy(Posted 2008) [#116]
Ah! Typing Flow.Main causes a slight delay- 2 seconds or so, at which point i get the complete list,

I can then type "tcompositormanager" on a seperate line and have intelliprompt work.

To give you an idea of just how much is in here (Note the scrollbar size on the left- ignore the right since thats not fully showing as per your error above hehe)

ziggy(Posted 2008) [#117]
Ok, the question is, is it now working EVERYWHERE? If it is, I'm sure it was a cache updating issue, if not, I need to take a deeper look. Please let me know it.

From the BLIde side of things, there's no problem to manage big modules but, just to keep things ornganized, don't you thing it may be a good idea to split the module to some smaller modules? Just a suggestion. I'm really looking fordward to test FLOW :D

Damien Sturdy(Posted 2008) [#118]
We may split it into smaller parts at some point, we only just really compiled the module properly hehe.

Yes now I can close blide, re-open, and Tcompositormanager is still working.

Blide is now very unstable though, with most clicks causing an exception:

"System.ArgumentOutOfRangeException: Specified argument was out of the range of valid values.
Parameter name: index
at System.Windows.Forms.TreeNodeCollection.get_Item(Int32 index)"

We can continue this via email to avoid bloat on the forum if you like- reply to Damien.Sturdy@...

ziggy(Posted 2008) [#119]
The bug you're experiencing is caused by loading twice the same project in the same BLIde sessions without closing the project being re-loaded in very speciffic circumstances. This has been solved just to prevent this issue to happen to any additional user, anyway, not exactly that 'blide is unstable now', is that you've done something that leaves BLIde in a unstable way. Trapped and solved for next version.
Thanks for the info!

AlexO(Posted 2008) [#120]
@Ziggy

#It is now allowed to change the selection color background color and fore color

does this allow me to change the background color for matching brace highlighting?

plash(Posted 2008) [#121]
BLIde is now no longer saving my code before build only (Ctrl + F5), however, if I do a build and run (F5) it saves the code before running.

ziggy(Posted 2008) [#122]
@Alexo: No, this is not yet customizable, sorry

@Plash: Fixed for the next release.

Muttley(Posted 2008) [#123]
Hi ziggy,

The new BLIde Solution stuff is really excellent, but I do have one major request which will mean I can use it properly.

I develop on 3 different machines, pulling code from my own Subversion repository. The problem is that I don't necessarily edit from the same path on each machine. On one my svnroot is C:\Development, on another it's D:\Development, and the other it's /home/muttley/development. This means that after checking the code out I have to go through the process of changing the paths of any imports and includes, which is a bit of a pain TBH and also means I get lots of unecessary version changes on files in my repository.

Please, please, please could you chance it so that it uses relative paths for includes/imports wherever possible? :)

Cheers

ziggy(Posted 2008) [#124]
@Muttley: Imports and includes have relative paths to the main bmx file of every project, when they're in the same tree structure. Place the bls file in the same folder as the main bmx file of your solution, and it should work out of the box. But anyway, I would like to have more information about how's your solution organized on the disk (folders structure and the like). I supose you can not send me a copy of your solution, but if you could, that would be very helpful.
To sort out this properly, place any import in a subfolder of the 'importer' bmx file (that will activate the relative path on this import, if I'm not wrong). In the solution file bls, there are still not-relative paths, and this is something I'm not sure I'll be changing as BlitzMax can by design spread files all over your disk, that's specially happening when dealing with regular code + modules. If you have any suggestion how could this be improved, I'll be happy to read it :D

this is a screenshot of the properties window of a game I'm working on:

As you can see, all the files are relative, so I have no problems moving the solution from one computer to another, they're just placed in the same base-tree structure.

Muttley(Posted 2008) [#125]
Hi ziggy,

In the includes and IncBin settings of the main program (Build As is Imported Library) in my solution, the files are all relative. But I also have an additional program in the solution which uses this, and in the Code Imports section of it's properties i shas the main library program in the "Available managed import libraries" with the full path specified.

I'll bundle up a copy of the solution an e-mail it to you to look at, it's not very large and is destined to be open source anyway. :)

Cheers

Muttley

ziggy(Posted 2008) [#126]
Hello a new BLIde BETA version is available.
changelog: http://www.blitzmax.com/logs/userlog.php?user=6809&log=1613

To get it:
For BLIde Plus users: http://www.blide.org/plus
for BLIde Free Edition Users: http://www.blide.org/?section=getfree

Please report feedback if tested.

Armitage 1982(Posted 2008) [#127]
Hi Ziggy,

Excuse me again to bother on this point.
But I read that Blide is for a limited period of time at 29.99€ !!

Does this mean Blide is going to be more expensive again in the future ?

ziggy(Posted 2008) [#128]
@Armitage 1982: I don't think so. It was wrong at my sig. I've changed it. There are not plans to make BLIde expensier in the inmediate future.

Digital Anime(Posted 2008) [#129]
It's good you've changed your sig Ziggy, 29,99€ is indeed the normal price.

I never tried Blide and buyed Blide Plus right away, and I was amazed how good it is.

I like the way I just write the short way and my coding is cleaned up at the moment I type it. So I'm sure now my code looks the same when my program is finished.

The only thing I didn't like is when starting a new project it created 1 main file and included all others. Maybe it's me not used to that yet, but when working with older bmx files you need to move all import stuff and strict/superstrict command to that main file.

What would be a great option in Blide is that if I would open a single bmx file I would see all the included files on the right, even when it's not a Project. I'm not sure if that would be possible and usefull for others as well.

But if you like Blide, go Blide Plus, it's worth it.

ziggy(Posted 2008) [#130]
The only thing I didn't like is when starting a new project it created 1 main file and included all others. Maybe it's me not used to that yet, but when working with older bmx files you need to move all import stuff and strict/superstrict command to that main file.
I supose you mean solutions. The main bmx file of a solution is modified directly by the BLIde engine, to reflect any changes you make in the solution explorer. This forces the document to have a speciffic formating on the text, follow some guid rules, etc, so converting existing code to that is not exactly a trivial task. A direct converter coud be done in the future if there's enought users base demand.

But if you like Blide, go Blide Plus, it's worth it.
Thanks for the possitive feedback!

Damien Sturdy(Posted 2008) [#131]
Ziggy,

With solutions- Blide seems to want all source files in root, which is not optimal for a large projects. At least, Blide seems to have copied all the includes to root, and it missed one.

Would there be a way to enable included sources to remain in their location?

The include it missed occurs half way down, mid source- this is due to how we allow our artist to work on the GUI without having to troupse through all of our source code.

ziggy(Posted 2008) [#132]
@Cygnus, can I have a detailed description of the tree structure of the solution you're creating to see exactly what can be done there? when you import a file to a solution, the file is copied to the solution folder. you can create subfolders and put what you need there, move the files from the root to a subfolder and the like. One of the goals of the solution approach was to make solutions portable, so every file involved was residing in the same base folder. If you're about to include a file from a foreign path, that doesn't fit on the 'managed solution' approach BLIde is focused in. We could think on a arrangement (on BLIde or in the solutions structure) for this particual scenario together, please send me your solution tree structure by email and I'll do my best.

Damien Sturdy(Posted 2008) [#133]
Okiedoke!

I'll drop you an email later- This isn't really a large problem, it just prevented me using a solution in one situation. I'm not at home at the mo! :-)

Armitage 1982(Posted 2008) [#134]
What's exactly the free version limitations for :

*Project management
*Solution explorer for Managed Projects

I'm currently considering buying Blide since it's look very stable now and is ultimately helping me.

This is probably the IDE that should be deliver with BlitzMax rather than the official notepad IDE !

ziggy(Posted 2008) [#135]
Project management: this will be limited to 30 files per project. Currently the limitation is disabled as I'm thinking a way to mantain cross-compatiblity with older blide free edition versions, but this is subject to change in future updates.
BLIde Solutions: BLIde solutions are limited to 30 files per solution on the BLIde Free Edition. bigger solutions can be loaded, saved, executed, modified, but the user will not be able to add additional files to them, so code in solutions mantains absolutely cross-compatibility between BLIde versions, but development of big solutions is really focused in the Plus version. That means you can distribute a big solutino to ALL blide users (free and plus), but only blide plus users will be able to add files to that solution when it raises the limit of 30 files.

AlexO(Posted 2008) [#136]
love the new site look!
I'm still currently working away at the plugin browser, but it's a weekend project hence the slow turn-around.

ziggy(Posted 2008) [#137]
@AlexO: Latest version you send me was just wonderful :D And thanks for the new site look thing! :D

SebHoll(Posted 2008) [#138]
Me again!

Unfortunately, BLIde's debug tree still isn't quite right. If you expand a node (without selecting one of the child nodes) and step, the node collapses again.

Is there no way of getting BLIde to behave like the Official IDE in that it doesn't completely clear and create from scratch the tree after every trace - it modifies/removed or adds to the existing nodes?

Sorry to keep going on about it, but the debugger is the one thing I don't enjoy using in BLIde.

Thanks

AlexO(Posted 2008) [#139]
is there a quick-build option for modules in Blide? I noticed if I do a 'build modules' in the MaxIDE it only builds modules that have been touched/changed, whereas in BLIde it does a complete rebuild of every module.

ziggy(Posted 2008) [#140]
@SebHoll: Yes, as I told you, I0m improving this, but I need to rewrite 90% of the debuger, so it'll be out soon, but not in the next version. I have not forgot it!!

@AlexO: No, BLIde always build modules in non quick build mode, to ensure everything is built against the same MinGW, to avoid binary incompatibility throug GCC versions. This could be configurable, I'll give it a look...

Damien Sturdy(Posted 2008) [#141]
I think most of the Debugger issues in Blide are actually down to Max- Over the past few updates my issues with the debugger have gone from blide-only to blide-and-maxIDE. I think that means that Blide bugs are mostly fixed and that the remaining ones are MAX-based.

I find the debugger much more stable in Blide these days, though the tree view thing will be a definite improvement.

SebHoll(Posted 2008) [#142]
@SebHoll: Yes, as I told you, I0m improving this, but I need to rewrite 90% of the debuger, so it'll be out soon, but not in the next version. I have not forgot it!!

Cool! Sorry again about the pestering... ;-) Btw, have you been following the following thread in the Bug Reports forum. BLIde appears to inherit the fix made to BRL.AppStub etc, just thought you should be aware of it.

Debugger Crash

ziggy(Posted 2008) [#143]
Yes! Well done!!!!!!
I've read it, it was a bug in the internal max debuger. Glad to see it working properly on every blitzmax application. I would really like to see a major BlitzMax update with this fix applied, hope mark will provide one soon (fingers crossed).

therevills(Posted 2008) [#144]
Hi Ziggy,

First off - thank you for BLide, it is a great IDE.

A small suggestion/feature - could you make it highlight all instances of a word clicked on or selected? I really like this feature in Eclipse (also in PL/SQL Developer and Notepad++) and think it would be great in BLide... it makes tracking variables a lot easier.

ziggy(Posted 2008) [#145]
threvills: Yes this could be done easilly, I'll put it on my list :D

JoshK(Posted 2008) [#146]
I created a new project and selected an existing main file, and this overwrote my source code. I might have done something wrong though.

What's going on with the debugger? I tried crashing it on purpose and your IDE doesn't seem to freeze up when I open all the tree nodes. Does your IDE do away with the debugger freezes?

Is there any chance of adding an option to alphabetize the debug tree? I have a hard time finding variables and fields in my programs.

Can you also add support for .frag and .vert shader files? They don't need code highlighting, but it would be nice to open them in the editor.

I am buying this now.

ziggy(Posted 2008) [#147]
@Leadwerks:
I created a new project and selected an existing main file, and this overwrote my source code.
Really?? That's very strange. Anyway, wich version were you using? Did yo do anything unusual on the project wizard? As soon as I see what can be causing this, I'll release a fix (I hope tomoroow or the like).

What's going on with the debugger? I tried crashing it on purpose and your IDE doesn't seem to freeze up when I open all the tree nodes. Does your IDE do away with the debugger freezes?
Yes, BLIde won't freeze even if the debuged application freezes. All debug-releated operations are done in a separate thread to prevent BLIde freezing.
Is there any chance of adding an option to alphabetize the debug tree?
Debug tree items are shown in call-stack order (functions, etc.) Sorting the tree will broke the call stack debuger, and I don't think I can easily sort only variables. I would need to create my own semi-sorted tree control, wich is not a trivial task. I'll take a look to see if I can do something by extending the trenode class and addding there my own iComparable interface, but I'm not sure if that will be feasible.

I hope you had a copy of this lost source code. I'm sorry for that inconvenience.

JoshK(Posted 2008) [#148]
I can't seem to reproduce the problem, so I probably just did something wrong. I tend to click on buttons without reading what they say.

It was easy to restore my source code. I have backups like crazy.

Debug tree items are shown in call-stack order (functions, etc.) Sorting the tree will broke the call stack debuger

Okay. How about adding support for .frag and .vert files? This is the standard file extension for GLSL shaders. Even better would be GLSL syntax highlighting.

ziggy(Posted 2008) [#149]
How about adding support for .frag and .vert files? This is the standard file extension for GLSL shaders. Even better would be GLSL syntax highlighting.

This could be easily added in future versions, when the SDK matures a little bit more. I'm working in this direction with the SDK. I would like BLIde to be able to parse, hilite and provide intellisense for any kind of file using plugins BLIde users will be able to code. I have a little intellisense test based on LUA working ok, but not finished yet. I'll provide more feedback on this soon.

ziggy(Posted 2008) [#150]
Just to mention a new BETA version is available.

For BLIde Free Edition users: http://www.blide.org/index.php?section=getfree

For BLIde Plus users: http://www.blide.org/plus/

I'm making this beta OPEN becouse I want to collect feedback from the users, so please let me know any issue you may find.

Digital Anime(Posted 2008) [#151]
I'll try the new BLIde Plus Beta version this weekend.
Looked at the list with updates, big list :-)

Muttley(Posted 2008) [#152]
Hi ziggy,

The only problem I've found with the new beta so far is occasionally it hangs when saving a solution. This is after changing some settings which require a reload of the solution. I haven't been able to find a consistent way of duplicating the problem though.

I've also found a cosmetic issue with the syntax highlighting. If you took the following code snippet:

?Debug
   Field debugEnabled:Int = True
?Not Debug
   Field debugEnabled:Int = False
?

In this case the ?Debug will be coloured correctly, but only the "?Not" part of "?Not Debug" will be coloured.

Also, something to add to the wish-list. Would it be possible to have an additional syntax highlighting colour for Types (potentially 2 different colours, one for existing module Types, one for Types in the current solution)?

Brilliant work as always mate. :)

Muttley

ziggy(Posted 2008) [#153]
@Muttley: In the beta version, the issue was happening at SAVE time or at LOAD time? You said you where re-loading the solution, I would like to know if that happened when it was being saved, closed or reloaded, as I think I've found a possible issue on refreshing solution on current BETA version, but want to be sure before investigating further.

Muttley(Posted 2008) [#154]
It's during the save. It appears to finish saving and then hangs.

ziggy(Posted 2008) [#155]
@Muttley: Were you doing Ctrl+T to refresh the project or solution?

Muttley(Posted 2008) [#156]
I was just saving it manually before reloading it. I didn't know about the Ctrl-T shortcut. :)

ziggy(Posted 2008) [#157]
@Muttley: found it, in current BETA there's a new file system watcher object that was interfering the 'save project' process. This system watcher is working on a background thread. A semaphore not being properly set under some very speciffic situations could cause this hung. this is being fixed for next Beta update (RC1)
Thanks!

I'm also adding the possibility to copy text from the compilation error window, and a little fix regarding incbin on the solution explorer core engine.

Muttley(Posted 2008) [#158]
Excellent.

This may be related, but after you pointed out the Ctrl-T thing to refresh the solution I gave it a try. After the solution has reloaded every time I re-save something it tells me:

"The file D:\Subversion\BlitzMaxModules\GameEngine\trunk\GameEngine.bmx has been modified from outside BLIde. Do you want to load the newly modified version?"

It does this for every file that is currently open. The only way to stop it is to close the project manually and re-open it.

Muttley

ziggy(Posted 2008) [#159]
Yes, it is related. the difference is that when this message was about to be shown from a thread different from the main thread. The windows were not accesible and that could potentially produce a hung. This has been changed to be working on a single thread for the next update, with some additional optimizations that should fix all this issues on the current BETA version.