MaxIDE Community Edition - v2.00 beta 3

BlitzMax Forums/BlitzMax Programming/MaxIDE Community Edition - v2.00 beta 3

Mark Tiffany(Posted 2008) [#1]
The Community Edition of MaxIDE is based on the official IDE, but with many improvements added by the BlitzMax community.

For now, only a win32 exe and source zip (requires latest MaxGUI) is available. If anyone wants to volunteer a version compiled for OSX or Linux, feel free to email me.

Win32 Executable
Source ZIP

CHANGE LOG since v2.00 beta 2

Added:
- Basic HTML, C, C++ code highlighting, including limited auto-complete & todo list support
- Undo behaviour improved to prevent storage of lots of single character changes
- CVS / SVN now asks if you want to delete existing working copy if directory already exists
- Italian localisation
- Window, tab and menu icons
- Undo & Redo added to the toolbar
- Toolbar now shows keyboard shortcuts
- Migrated code to new MAXGUI.Drivers module & new win32 implementation

Fixed:
- Fixed generic editing functionality (such as Find & Replace) in non-BlitzMax files
- Fixed all (I think!) instances of code & todo nodes not updating / linking to correct location
- Fixed Memory leaks in Undo history, save, IDE options, code & todo trees
- Fixed various instances of code highlighting / auto-tidy / indent screwing up e.g. on last char in file and when using backspace
- Various instances of editor popping to the front fixed
- TextArea mousepointer now correct
- Auto-Tidy & Auto-Indent no longer applied in Rem/EndRem blocks
- Removed hard-coded F5 & F7 hotkeys - can be set as required in IDE options
- Localisation selection in IDE options now works
- Removed hard-coded FLTK references such that it compiles on Linux GTK
- Trapped error when help file not present
- Prevented lock-up if not run in BlitzMax directory

Known Issues:
- Lock-up on Ubuntu 7.10 due to conflict between Brucey's GTK module & pub.freeprocess.
- Some tab & font size combinations give inconsistent text layout. This will be an issue until a new codearea is implemented, or BRL.MaxGUI.TGUIFont adds a width.
- Auto-complete doesn't show at cursor position on Mac or Linux due to no known means of obtaining graphical cursor position
- There are still some small memory leaks that need to be pinned down

SebHoll(Posted 2008) [#2]
Looking nice - definitely interested in the C++ parsing etc. ;-)

Mark Tiffany(Posted 2008) [#3]
Thanks to grable for the C++ parsing. It's relatively basic for now, but feel free to consider adding to it... ;-)

SebHoll(Posted 2008) [#4]
It's relatively basic for now, but feel free to consider adding to it... ;-)

Would love to if I get time, but if I do I'm more of an SVN kind of guy than CVS (nudge, nudge) ;-).

Speaking of which, I've never submitted code to a SourceForge project before - do you need to special permissions to contribute code in the repository?

Edit: Just got your e-mail, thanks. ;-)

Mark Tiffany(Posted 2008) [#5]
You need to sign up for a free SF.net account, then I can add you as a developer. SVN is on the cards once I'm happy everything's stable (should be soon).

Matthew Smith(Posted 2008) [#6]
Mark,

You've done a great job with the IDE - congrats! Seb, yourself and Brucey (and others) have done a great job with MaxGui as well.

Shagwana(Posted 2008) [#7]
Very nice work

Mark Tiffany(Posted 2008) [#8]
Thanks - positive feedback definitely appreciated, and motivates me to continue...I do sometimes wonder how many people actually use the CE IDE - my wicked alter ego was half-tempted to surreptitiously add some code to find out ;-)

plash(Posted 2008) [#9]
my wicked alter ego was half-tempted to surreptitiously add some code to find out ;-)
Stealthy statistics (lol) :) I wont even use ubuntu, simply for lack of a good IDE, but once this thing goes SVN I'm all over it.

Tachyon(Posted 2008) [#10]
I have a problem that has prevented me from using either the official IDE or the CE version for over a year now: they both crash 99% of the time when I expand the tree stack in the debugger window, after my program has stopped due to an error.

This problem only shows up when debugging my big project. I am just amazed that no other person has complained about this. I have experienced this on multiple Window-based machines, both XP and Vista, and on the Mac. This problem is directly related to the size of the code. Small programs don't crash the IDE when getting debugged.

:(

Mark Tiffany(Posted 2008) [#11]
I've occassionally seen issues with the debugger, mainly that it just takes an age to refresh rather than a crash. I had kind of decided this was most likely to be a general issue with transfer big chunks of data between blitzmax compiled code and ANY ide, but if you have any evidence to the contrary (and ideally some code you can let me have to reproduce consistently) I can take a look...

Tachyon(Posted 2008) [#12]
Mark- thanks for the quick response. Well, I purposely changed a For/Next loop to go outside the range of any array and cause a crash. After the crash, I attempted to expand the debugger tree and the program seems to hang...the IDE title bar reports "Not Responding" for the past five minutes.

When I bring up the task manager, the IDE is taking up 100% of one of my CPUs, and is using 380mb of RAM and climbing (definitely a memory leak)....now up to 433mb as I type this.

I will try to find a large public domain piece of code that I can break and reproduce this problem.

DStastny(Posted 2008) [#13]
Nice job. Really like the newer icons and look.

I am having it crash out. When do build modules. Its only one module being built but crashes out every time.

Doug

Mark Tiffany(Posted 2008) [#14]
Yup same here. No crash if no modules to build. Suspect it's related to the issue with SVN/CVS updates, where those actions crash out on completion. Suspect a beta4 won't be too far round the corner...

slenkar(Posted 2008) [#15]
I use this IDE, and its great keep up the good work!
I prefer it over the ones that cost money too

Beaker(Posted 2008) [#16]
Looks great. And, I'm gonna try Bmax on my ubuntu install when I get time, so..

tin(Posted 2008) [#17]
when i build the game in there, the IDE crashed and exited.

Shagwana(Posted 2008) [#18]
I have a minor issue with the indenting;

Font used = fixsys size 9
autotidy = enabled
auto indent = enabled
tabsize = 2

type...

for<enter>
Next<enter>
<home key>
<left arrow> (puts it at start of next line)
<enter> (creates a new line between for and next)
<up arrow>
<space><space>
Type something<enter>

something strange is going on

Also of note, looks like a tab of 2 is not equal to a space of 2 as well!

Mark Tiffany(Posted 2008) [#19]
@tin: suspect you're suffering the same issue as I have with cvs/svn, and both I and Budman suffer when building modules. But I don't have a problem building...so there's something odd going on. grable just committed a fix to CVS that might help in this area, and I intend to try to take a look tonight to resolve this one...

@Shagwana: there is some odd stuff going on with highlighting & auto-tidy/indent. The key change in that area was to ensure things get picked up when you backspace (type selfx then backspace in the old editor), but seems to have rather bizarrely confused some other bits & pieces. I had a very weird undo issue last night (a word inserted *backwards* when I undo'ed!) but can't reproduce and am pretty is in the same area.

As ever, consistent means of reproducing errors (like Shagwana's above) are greatly appreciated.

Shagwana(Posted 2008) [#20]
Part of presenting information about a bug, is how to reproduce the bug in the quickest way possible.

I had another one to do with comments too..

something<home key><'>
(the comment is not hi-lighted)

Mark Tiffany(Posted 2008) [#21]
@Shagwana
I've been looking at the indenting problem. I've tidied a whole bunch of code in that area, and as a result fixed a few non-obvious code issues, and one specific issue that relates to your issues : if you have "<tab><space><space>code", auto-tidy got rid of one (or more) of the spaces.

and...
looks like a tab of 2 is not equal to a space of 2 as well!

This isn't how textareas work. The tab is set as a graphical size, not a character size. I don't really want to do the whole "convert tabs to spaces" thing. And TGUIFont's don't tell me their width. So it is (and will continue to be) the case that a tab <> N spaces I'm afraid.

Or at least not until someone figures how to get the width of a TGUIFont on all platforms...

Shagwana(Posted 2008) [#22]
Please put in an option to convert all tabs to space. Something as niggly as that would make me use another editor!

Mark Tiffany(Posted 2008) [#23]
Well, i've added it as a feature request on the list. Might not be that hard, as there's already use made of a const TAB$, so could change that to a global and amend it based on user options, also convert tabs to spaces on load...all optional of course...

...but first I need to fix of these damned annoying tidy / highlight / undo bugs. grrr....

peltazoid(Posted 2008) [#24]
I have seen the following bug when undoing.

If you undo alot of changes, it starts to corrupt the text, wrong text inserted at wrong points in the text. I had to close the file and reopen it from my last save as it was corrupted that much (thankfully I had just saved it before I made the changes).

a couple of undo's are ok, it seems to happen on 8 or 9 levels of undo.

Cheers.

Mark Tiffany(Posted 2008) [#25]

a couple of undo's are ok, it seems to happen on 8 or 9 levels of undo.

yeah, but i can't seem to pin down a reproducible sequence as yet. pretty sure it's very connected to the auto-tidy / highlighting tweaks & issues, but just trying to fix by reading code & educated guesses at the moment, then trying to edit for long enough to see if it worked...not fun...

peltazoid(Posted 2008) [#26]
lol, i'm trying to debug my code in that way as well :) headaches :) just reading the code and trying run it in my head.

partly as when I use debugstop it hangs the program and the editor. if I load the source into the standard ide, it works fine and it does not hang when debugstop is reached.

debugstop does work on other programs, so it's something in my program that is causing the editor to crash.

Mark Tiffany(Posted 2008) [#27]
just fixed that one. Well, hacked a temporary fix, not a long term one anyway. If you check out the latest source from cvs and build, then debug will work again.

It's caused by self-referencing objects, e.g. if you have a var that is a TTimer created by CreateTimer, or more complex self-referencing, e.g. from parent to child then back again.

Mark Tiffany(Posted 2008) [#28]
okay, just committed the fix to sort out the debug issue properly and re-instates correct handling of all self-referencing objects in debug mode.

Right, now I can go back to tracking down the highlight / undo / tidy issues - should be easier now that I can use DebugStop!!!

peltazoid(Posted 2008) [#29]
Thanks, much better having debugstop working again. :)

jamesmintram(Posted 2008) [#30]
I tried compiling under Ubuntu 8.04 - I get an error:

"Identifier MaxGUI not found"

In the language.bmx file - I have MaxGUI installed, and Bruceys modules.

Does anyone know what this could be?

grable(Posted 2008) [#31]
Its probably related to the new MaxGUI module (the one from SVN) that MaxIDE-CE uses.

Mark Tiffany(Posted 2008) [#32]
I have MaxGUI installed

To back up grable's post, have you got the very latest maxgui from the SVN repository? See the sticky post in the BlitzMax GUI programming thread...

jamesmintram(Posted 2008) [#33]
Yes, I started with a fresh install of BMax, I hau to disable the GTK modules but it now compiles. When I run it though I get an error message:

Unhandled Exception:Attempt to access field or method of Null object

In maxide on line 1346:
AddMenuItem "@@New" , MENUNEW , file , KEY_N , MODIFIER_COMMAND , ExtractIconPixmapFromStrip(_iconstrip,ICON_NEW)

Mark Tiffany(Posted 2008) [#34]
You need to tweak the FLTK implementation as follows:

In maxgui.mod / fltkmaxgui.mod / fltkgui.bmx, find TFLIconStrip. Remove the Field pixmap completely. Build modules. And build...and breathe...

Have asked Seb/ Mark to update the svn version with this fix.

jamesmintram(Posted 2008) [#35]
Ok, looks like its worked. Its running but the interface seems like its locked up. Its repainting itself, but the app is unresponsive!?
If resized the window becomes blank (and still just as unresponsive!) I have to do a force quit to close it down.

Edit:

Ive just turned off Desktop effects and it works fine now!

Thanks for the help.

degac(Posted 2008) [#36]
Found a bug in maxide.bmx that causes the close of the application after Rebuild Docs

Line: 1333

Original:
quickhelp = TQuickHelp.Create(bmxpath)

Replace with:
quickhelp = TBMXQuickHelp.Create(bmxpath)

degac(Posted 2008) [#37]
About Linux & MaxGUI

I'm testing MaxGUI on 2 machines:
1. virtual (WMware)
2. 'real' AthlonX2+1gb RAM+GeForce6600 (proper nvidia driver+Beryl installed but NOT actived)

Both with Ubuntu 7.04.

On 1 the GUI is slower than the GTK ones, while on 2 I can see the gadget while they are drawn!!! It's slow as hell! It's unusable...

So I've installed (a mess of files) for GTK/webmozilla & co. MaxIDE 1.5 runs perfectly - and it IS USABLE - it's perfect.

I've tried MaxIDE CE 2.0 but I've got an error on ExtractIconPixmapFromStrip commands (refer to a null object...). I've decided to remove all the commands in the menu creation and I've noticed that some menus have already their own icon. Could be this the problem?

Here an image

PS: there is a reason (license?) why Linux version of MaxGUI needs to run under FLTK and not GTK? See the image and please notes the differences...

SebHoll(Posted 2008) [#38]
I've tried MaxIDE CE 2.0 but I've got an error on ExtractIconPixmapFromStrip commands (refer to a null object...).

This should be fixed in the next FLTK commit that I've just sent to Mr Sibly. Will post in the MaxGUI Updates thread when it is available on SVN.

PS: there is a reason (license?) why Linux version of MaxGUI needs to run under FLTK and not GTK? See the image and please notes the differences...

It's not that MaxGUI needs to run under FLTK - it's just that BRL decided that they would use FLTK as the official Linux toolkit for MaxGUI. I agree that Brucey's GTKMaxGUI is far better looking etc. but it does have its fair share of show-stopping problems too.

Neither of the two Linux MaxGUI modules support the latest MaxGUI additions - I am a Linux noob, and I don't understand enough to get the Linux versions fixed (looking for people to help out in this area if anyone is interested). As for Brucey's GTK driver for MaxGUI - it looks like he has given up on development in favour of his wxWidgets library.

Brucey(Posted 2008) [#39]
As for Brucey's GTK driver for MaxGUI - it looks like he has given up on development...

That's a bit of a leap.

SebHoll(Posted 2008) [#40]
I'm glad if this is not the case (really, really, glad ;-)). I knew you were moving but my assumptions were based on the following post you made about a week before your annnouncement: *click*.

Specifically...

Brucey:
I would help out were it not for the fact it uses MaxGUI...

...and the discussion that ensues. Maybe I got the wrong end of the stick (as I quite often do), but I could see why you were concentrating your efforts on other things.

If you're still up for developing MaxGUI then whoooooooo!!! :-D Drop me an e-mail, if you want to see what's happened MaxGUI driver-wise recently.

slenkar(Posted 2008) [#41]
is it ok to download and use or are there still major bugs?

plash(Posted 2008) [#42]
Ah.. only to think how much easier it would be to use wxmax for maxide.. And people wouldn't have to pay for maxgui just to compile it. (or did I totally miss something throughout this whole brl.maxgui to axe.maxgui to maxgui.maxgui and maxguiex fiasco).

degac(Posted 2008) [#43]
Well if you want to port MaxIDE to wxMax you can take the source and change it.

I dont' consider MaxGUI a 'fiasco'.
wxMax can do many things that MaxGUI (at the moment) can't do. But I see some positive aspect:
1. smaller .exe compared with wxMax
2. every 'change' is compatibile - if possibile - with the original MaxGUI desing
3. the programming approch of MaxGUI and wxMax are different - of course it is a personal point of view.
4. MaxGUI is 'growning up' well: Skid, SebHoll and others are working hard to optimize it.

If I must give a vote:
- original MaxGUI (when released) 6/10
- actual MaxGUI 8.5/10

Considering the efforts (free) MaxGUI (along with BlitzMax and Blitz3d) is one of my best investments I ever made.
Of course none is obliged to get MaxGUI and you can use wxMax port (another great Brucey work).

WildStorm(Posted 2008) [#44]
I compiled the code without errors (after ~2 hours trying ;) ) but now im getting the following error (maxide doesn't appear):

wildstorm@my-0wn:/media/hdb2/[C0DiNg]/BlitzMax$ ./maxide.debug
/home/wildstorm/.themes/Clearlooks-Quicksilver/gtk-2.0/gtkrc:54: Clearlooks configuration option "menuitemstyle" is not supported and will be ignored.
/home/wildstorm/.themes/Clearlooks-Quicksilver/gtk-2.0/gtkrc:55: Clearlooks configuration option "listviewitemstyle" is not supported and will be ignored.
/home/wildstorm/.themes/Clearlooks-Quicksilver/gtk-2.0/gtkrc:56: Clearlooks configuration option "progressbarstyle" is not supported and will be ignored.
(the errors above appear always..its an theme-specific error but i dont think that this affects the maxgui, since every other program runs normal)

(<unknown>:18409): Gtk-CRITICAL **: gtk_tree_store_set_value: assertion `VALID_ITER (iter, tree_store)' failed

(<unknown>:18409): Gtk-CRITICAL **: gtk_tree_store_set_value: assertion `VALID_ITER (iter, tree_store)' failed

appstub.linux signal handler 11
(or in debugmode:)
~>Unhandled Exception:Attempt to access field or method of Null object
~>

edit:// Ubuntu 8.04 - GNOME

degac(Posted 2008) [#45]
There is a problem with ExtractIconPixmapFromStrip (see above my latest post), so to run MaxIDE CE you need to comment out every line where you find 'ExtractIconPixmapFromStrip'.

WildStorm(Posted 2008) [#46]
okay i'll wait till the bug is fixed ;)

slenkar(Posted 2008) [#47]
what about the compiled EXE - is that OK to use?

Mark Tiffany(Posted 2008) [#48]
There are a couple of known bugs in the beta3 exe (undo can go a bit screwy after a while), bit nothing too major.

The source will compile and run fine on Windows, and has those bugs fixed. I believe it should also be okay on MacOS.

On linux things get a little tricky. If using FLTK, you need to apply a fix to FLTK (see higher up the thread) to get ExtractIconFromPixmap working. If using GTK, and Ubuntu 7.04 or before (or equivalent linux kernel) it should be okay. If using GTK and Ubuntu 7.10 or above, there is a "bug" or conflict of some kind in Brucey's GTK implementation and/or pub.freeprocess that causes a lock up.

I'd really like to get the linux side working, but it really needs Brucey's time to look at the gtk thing.

As for wxMax - not going to happen. wxMax looks like it works so differently to maxgui, you might as well start again. Maxgui is now up to speed on all platforms IMHO, and will continue to be used in this project. *If* there were to be a Maxgui.wxMax driver, now that would be a different matter, but a) not sure Brucey would want to do it, and b) not sure there'd be much point!

I've been real busy this past 2 weeks with work, but hope to nail a last annoying bug with undo and put up beta4 this weekend. Hopefully...if I don't get too distracted by Wii Fit (wife's got it at the moment...)

WildStorm(Posted 2008) [#49]
okay, thanks for the news!

slenkar(Posted 2008) [#50]
beta3 crashes when I compile modules, so im waiting for beta4

Mark Tiffany(Posted 2008) [#51]
ah yes, grable fixed that bug the other day!

SebHoll(Posted 2008) [#52]
okay i'll wait till the bug is fixed ;)

Yep - the ExtractIconPixmapFromStrip() fix for FLTKMaxGUI was committed to SVN yesterday. We're waiting on Brucey for any GTK updates, though...

Ian Thompson(Posted 2008) [#53]
On Windows, when starting a new project, choosing a path button "...", the "Browse for Folder" has some resource garbage at the top of the window... "(? edit_context_menu/project_requester..."

grable(Posted 2008) [#54]
On Windows, when starting a new project, choosing a path button "...", the "Browse for Folder" has some resource garbage at the top of the window... "(? edit_context_menu/project_requester..."

Thanks Ian, a fix is now in CVS.

Brucey(Posted 2008) [#55]
*If* there were to be a Maxgui.wxMax driver

Like you say.. not much point in doing that probably... mostly because you'd end up with much less functionality than you started with - ignoring the obvious usefulness for legacy MaxGUI code.

However, since I'll be offline for a wee while I might have a go at a wxMax-based IDE...

Trying to get myself up-to-date with the MaxGUI/CEMaxIDE source before I go offline (apparently tonight)... found a compile bug (OSX) :
datanodes.bmx, line 593 (from cvs version), I had to add an underscore in front of GetIndex().
btw, when you run it the first time, what's bmk doing? building something??

Brucey(Posted 2008) [#56]
Hmm.. I guess the GetIndex() thing wasn't a fix... no projects appear in the project list.
The navigator panel is a bit wide for us 1024 folks... and the tabs don't shrink/disappear when you make the panel smaller, so they go off-screen.
The Options window is also not wide enough for all the tabs...

But it does look pretty with the icons everywhere. ;-)

Oh... and Find window crashed :
0   .maxide                        	0x000aa690 158 + 28
1   .maxide                        	0x000aa638 _brl_event_TEvent_Create + 68
2   .maxide                        	0x000aa76c 98 + 0
3   .maxide                        	0x0007be74 17 + 16
4   .maxide                        	0x00068044 663 + 44
5   com.apple.Foundation           	0x92bf2a04 _nsnote_callback + 180

:o)

Mark Tiffany(Posted 2008) [#57]
bmk is just run with no commands to retrieve the version number of bmk.

Ta for the heads up on the macos compile error (grable's already fixed that).

Brucey(Posted 2008) [#58]
grable's already fixed that

Just now? That was quick! :-)

Am using the CVS source for maxide2... try to always be bleeding edge...

Mark Tiffany(Posted 2008) [#59]
About 32 minutes before my earlier post - but just the compile error, not the other macos issues you mention...

If you get a chance to take a looksee at some of the gtk things previously mentioned while offline, it'd be much appreciated. I'm still not able to get my ubuntu 7.10 setup working properly with gtk & freeprocess, so really struggling.

peltazoid(Posted 2008) [#60]
Good stuff, I've been using the current build of the IDE and it seems ok.

Keep up the good work :D

Otus(Posted 2008) [#61]
These are the issues I found with the Windows executable. I don't have MaxGUI, so I can't compile the latest source. You may have fixed these already.

- Selecting the file type *.* does not do anything. Only the files of the previously selected type are shown.
- Adding a project from the right hand panel -> projects -> add project does not add it to the Project Manager.
- Creating a new project from Project Manager minimizes MaxIDE.

In addition, the IDE crashed, when I changed some IDE Options and hit Cancel, but I couldn't reproduce the bug. If someone has compiled an executable from newer sources, I'd like to test it.

Thanks for a better IDE!

grable(Posted 2008) [#62]

- Selecting the file type *.* does not do anything. Only the files of the previously selected type are shown.
- Adding a project from the right hand panel -> projects -> add project does not add it to the Project Manager.
- Creating a new project from Project Manager minimizes MaxIDE.

I did a quick check and didnt spot them, so i think may have been fixed.

But heres a win32 build straight from cvs (compiled with the Win32MaxGUIEx module) so you can better test it ;)
http://grable0.googlepages.com/maxide2_win32.rar

If you find any more bugs you can also add them to the bug tracker http://sourceforge.net/tracker/?atid=790286&group_id=154065&func=browse

slenkar(Posted 2008) [#63]
thanks for the build

Otus(Posted 2008) [#64]
I did a quick check and didnt spot them, so i think may have been fixed.

But heres a win32 build straight from cvs (compiled with the Win32MaxGUIEx module) so you can better test it ;)

If you find any more bugs you can also add them to the bug tracker http://sourceforge.net/tracker/?atid=790286&group_id=154065&func=browse

Yeah, looks like they were fixed. Thanks for the build!

slenkar(Posted 2008) [#65]
a size of 800K is pretty good for an IDE!

slenkar(Posted 2008) [#66]
i added a bug to the tracker about the IDE minimizing itself

Htbaa(Posted 2008) [#67]
Will there be a Linux build anytime soon?

plash(Posted 2008) [#68]
Probably not until someone really delves into (and fixes) the freeprocess bug.

Mark Tiffany(Posted 2008) [#69]
I've made a little progress on the freeprocess bug (see other threads), and on a couple of the other gtk issues. Still not 100% working on Linux for me, but getting there...slowly...

Jesse(Posted 2008) [#70]
Excelent work. I would like to thank you for your continuous work on this project.
One question though, which leads to the reason I am posting here:
is there any reason why the new release only works in debug mode?
I don't know if the previous ones didn't but I just noticed that.

Mark Tiffany(Posted 2008) [#71]
Thanks - feedback appreciated!

Do you mean the latest code on cvs, or the latest zip code, or the latest exe. that's odd anyway. what os?

i'm in the depths of "getting there" on linux & gtk at the moment...some slight progress made...

Jesse(Posted 2008) [#72]
I downloaded the cvs version. I guess is the same as the link posted by grable which also does the same thing.

[edit]
I mean, it only produces debug mode executables.
WinXP

Mark Tiffany(Posted 2008) [#73]
I mean, it only produces debug mode executables.

Are you using "Build & Run" or "Build & Debug" ?

Have you got the "Debug Build" option ticked under Project \ Build Options?

If you uncheck the menu option, then you should be able to build your code in debug or non-debug mode using the "Build & Run" or "Build & Debug" options.

Still not entirely happy how "Build" & "Build Options" work together...

Jesse(Posted 2008) [#74]

Jesse(Posted 2008) [#75]
I try with both but it just keeps going to debug mode. I normally set the checkmark for build options.

Mark Tiffany(Posted 2008) [#76]
I try with both but it just keeps going to debug mode. I normally set the checkmark for build options.

Turn the check mark off, then try both options : do you get the same result?

slenkar(Posted 2008) [#77]
hi, i replied to the bug tracker thingy about the IDE minimizing itself

Jesse(Posted 2008) [#78]
I am an idiot, I was treating it just like the release IDE. Pressing the icon for release and debug and thinking that would behave just like the release IDE(create & run). Sorry for wasting your time Mark.

Artemis(Posted 2008) [#79]
I think the IDE has some problems with DebugStops.

When in going through the code after debugstop after some steps the IDE uses 100% of my cpu power and is freezing. I can just stop that when killing the IDE.

I'll try to post some code which reproduces the problem because it does not happen for all codes.

btw: I'm using 2.0beta3 precompiled for windows. With beta2 I did'nt have the problem.

Mark Tiffany(Posted 2008) [#80]
Artemis, known bug already fixed in code, should be in the exe grable posted above.

I've been distracted by trying to fix linux, but really ought to put a compiled version of latest code up. will try to do so by sunday night.

Mark Tiffany(Posted 2008) [#81]
Mr Paxman - will take a look at yours before I build, but really couldn't re-create it myself.

Jesse - no worries, it highlights that the menu structure / ui needs cleaning up a little.

grable(Posted 2008) [#82]
We could remove the debug build option entirely, as i dont see a need for it when we have buttons & shortcuts that does a better job.

The "Build" (and "Build & Run") actions should only build release binaries anyway (seeing as you rarely build debug binaries without running them in the debugger)

Oh btw, i try to keep the link i posted above up to date from latest CVS so people can check the bleeding edge without maxgui (although there havent beeen much changes lately)

Mark Tiffany(Posted 2008) [#83]
Yup, my thoughts entirely grable. I think I held off doing it before because I wanted to think about where best to place the "quick build" and "gui app" options. The latter hardly ever changes, and IMHO should probably be a compiler directive rather than a build option. Quick build is clearly a compiler option, and I have wondered about a new "compile options..." dialog box in the past...not least because it would give you somewhere to specify a pre- and / or post-processor, and maybe even add things in to sort out things like icons, file properties etc (would have to be a slightly different GUI per OS then, which isn't really an issue).

SebHoll(Posted 2008) [#84]
<Chanting> SVN! SVN! SVN! SVN! </Chanting>

Not impressed with TortoiseCVS - it doesn't work with Vista and now my Explorer context menus look messed-up!

Major disappointment after having used TortoiseSVN comfortably for months... :-(

Mark Tiffany(Posted 2008) [#85]
:-)

Seb, your enthusiasm is almost enough to make me bite the bullet...maybe I should just do it. But busy this weekend, and not 100% sure what I need to do on sf.net to make it happen...

SebHoll(Posted 2008) [#86]
Seb, your enthusiasm is almost enough to make me bite the bullet...maybe I should just do it. But busy this weekend, and not 100% sure what I need to do on sf.net to make it happen...

Well there's no rush - as I keep saying, I've got a tonne of exams in the coming weeks and so will have little free time anyway.

slenkar(Posted 2008) [#87]
I downloaded the latest version and the minimize bug isnt happening so far!

EDIT- hmm it seems to start after I press the find/replace button a few times and find the string I am looking for

Mark Tiffany(Posted 2008) [#88]
I downloaded the latest version and the minimize bug isnt happening so far!

EDIT- hmm it seems to start after I press the find/replace button a few times and find the string I am looking for

Sounds like it needs something specific to happen before it happens, which seems odd (as in can't think of a reason why that might happen). Any further clues you spot appreciated...

Mark Tiffany(Posted 2008) [#89]
Okay, decided to bite the bullet and move to SVN.

I don't feel the need to retain a full history of CVS (as the CVS itself will remain available in a read-only state), so it should be simple.

As such, all developer access to CVS has been removed, developers will gain SVN access later tonight once I've imported everything.

slenkar(Posted 2008) [#90]
- I think I know what causes it now,

Whenever I have internet explorer open it starts to minimize.

I use IE because it is much faster at rendering flash movies than firefox or opera.

Maybe blitzmax GUI recieved messages from IE to minimize and it has a certain flag set to take notice of these messages instead of ignoring them

Mark Tiffany(Posted 2008) [#91]
Still can't reproduce it...

Mark Tiffany(Posted 2008) [#92]
Initial version checked into SVN.

This is essentially identical to the last committed version in CVS, with a couple of minor tweaks, mainly a couple of filename changes to remove CAPS for linux safe-ness.

Feel free to shout if there are any issues accessing the SVN version. Appears to be working fine with TortoiseSVN for me.

SebHoll(Posted 2008) [#93]
Initial version checked into SVN.

Brilliant! Thanks Mark - that's much better. TortoiseSVN has checked it out no problem! So much better!

The bad news however is that I'm up to my eye-balls in MaxGUI updates at the moment, the good news is that in a indirect sort of way, this will benefit the IDE CE too!

P.S. Don't be surprised if you get a BETA testing e-mail sometime soon. ;-)

Jesse(Posted 2008) [#94]
I hope I'm not asking another stupid question.:-)
I updated to the latest cvs update but when I try to make it into an executable it gives me an error:
"identifier WINDOW_CENTER not found"
am I missing something?

[edited]
nevermind I update to the latest GUI and it works fine now.

edited2:
the release build works fine but the debug build freezes.

what link do I use for the svn version?

Mark Tiffany(Posted 2008) [#95]
See my sig for link to SF.net info on the SVN location.

It seems there's some kind of issue around debug builds that I'm not getting here...I assume you are on Windows?

Jesse(Posted 2008) [#96]

...I assume you are on Windows?

correct

thanks.

Jesse(Posted 2008) [#97]
I see, there is a DebugStop in win32maxguiex.bmx at line 278
If TWindowsHTMLView(owner) Then DebugStop

SebHoll(Posted 2008) [#98]
I see, there is a DebugStop in win32maxguiex.bmx at line 278

Arrrggghhhh - sorry! My commits are getting a bit slap-dash recently... I promise to check over source code more thoroughly before committing it in future...

Just comment this line out and rebuild modules until a new version of MaxGUI.Win32MaxGUIEx is available on SVN.

Mark Tiffany(Posted 2008) [#99]
Seb has kindly added the debugger fixes to the SVN version of the CE IDE (links in sig). I hope to post up a win32 exe tomorrow with this fix and all the other goodies added recently.

Czar Flavius(Posted 2008) [#100]
Auto indentation is not very smart.

Mark Tiffany(Posted 2008) [#101]
Auto indentation is not very smart.

That's helpful.

SebHoll(Posted 2008) [#102]
That's helpful.

Exactly my thoughts...

Can you please explain what you mean? Is it auto-indenting when it shouldn't? Is it not when it should? Can you post some code that demonstrates the problem you are having?

Czar Flavius(Posted 2008) [#103]
Well when I say While and press enter it indents. But when I type Wend it doesn't deindent. Next doesn't deindent a For loop.

If I type an If statement, and press enter, it doesn't indent.

Etc. I am used to start auto indent used in Microsoft Visual Studio. Provided you don't make a mistake you may never need to press the tab button!

This is half a job. Sorry.

Mark Tiffany(Posted 2008) [#104]
This is half a job.

Yes, it's the easy half. And is inherited from the official IDE. I've never spent much time on this as I personally don't make rely heavily on it, but that shouldn't stop others contributing to improve it.

Sorting terminating clauses like Next and Wend is in theory easy, but if implemented should (IMHO) look for the preceding matching pair and indent to that level (not simply deduct 1 from the tab count).

Sorting If is a real bugger as 'max allows single line If statements. This means incorporating more logic in the highlighter to fully parse a logical expression, which it certainly does not do right now.

SebHoll(Posted 2008) [#105]
New thread started for BETA 4.