Negative Millisecs()

BlitzMax Forums/BlitzMax Programming/Negative Millisecs()

Brucey(Posted 2008) [#1]
So, what's the best way to get around negative Millisecs() ?
DebugLog:-2030341154
DebugLog:-2030341121
DebugLog:-2030341081
DebugLog:-2030341059
DebugLog:-2030341027

Convert it to a Long ? ... $FFFFFFFF:Long & MilliSecs() ...

That's a bugger...

Would've been nice if it returned a Long in the first place...

:-p

JazzieB(Posted 2008) [#2]
I always mask off the sign bit (& $7FFFFFFF). That way it just wraps.

Dreamora(Posted 2008) [#3]
calc sub = value - max negative int
add sub + max int, both haneld as long

Jezzie: your solution is nice but kind of worthless. Will enforce ABS on all time measures as it will go up and then down again, not really what you expect a time counter to do ;-)

Floyd(Posted 2008) [#4]
Converting to Long seems reasonable, although it only doubles the time until trouble occurs.

Do you really need that many milliseconds? It is generally used for small quantities of time.
An expression like ( NewTime - OldTime ) is not affected by the "wrap to negative" problem.

Brucey(Posted 2008) [#5]
The bitmask trick is a nice one, and saves the need for Longs at all.

Brucey(Posted 2008) [#6]
I was only using it as a trigger, so the actual value of MilliSecs() isn't important at all.

Yeah, the new-old might even be preferable...

Ta :-)

Dreamora(Posted 2008) [#7]
Yupp new - old is the simplest way to solve it as it solves the negative millisecs issue on its own.
At least beside 2 cases:

1. When the millisecs goes over the maximum number and is wrapped to - -> a time difference of 2 billion millisecs
2. When it goes from - to + where it will add those two values instead of substracting one. That thought is not that of a problem unless you have large time differences you measure.

sswift(Posted 2008) [#8]
If you just do deltatime = newtime-oldtime, then it will still work when it is negative.

And to handle the case where it wraps around, which I don't know will work with the above, I just have a check to see if deltatime is too great. If it's like more than 250ms, then I ignore that and recalculate the time. This solution works well for when the user tabs out of the app too.