Eschalon lights?

BlitzMax Forums/BlitzMax Programming/Eschalon lights?

tonyg(Posted 2008) [#1]
If Tachyon could post how he did the lighting om Eschalon it would be nice. Regardless how do other people think they were done and how would you have done it in thw same situation?
Here is a screenshot.
At first I thought it was vertex lighting as each tile seems to be lit differently. However, Tachyon has stated it's 100% native Bmax so probably not. the images don't have that greyish look that drawing a dark rect followed by lightblend causes.
The lit areas also do not have that 'daylight' quality of punching holes in a dark image at a smaller scale used here
My guess is that each tile is overlaid by another tile which either lightens or darkens it depending on the range of lights.
Any other thoughts?

dmaz(Posted 2008) [#2]
no overlaid tile would be necessary... you can easily make that effect just using setcolor and setalpha from and lightmap made from adding of the light sources. if you want to get crazy use line of sight in the calculation.

Tachyon(Posted 2008) [#3]
dmaz is right.

Each light source has an RGB and falloff value. All tile color/luminosity values are calculated every pass (so they can be turned off or on in real time). Light sources can be of any color. After I determine what the color and luminocity of a tile should be, I just apply the appropriate setcolor as it is drawn.

Grey Alien(Posted 2008) [#4]
Sounds like how I figured you did it too. It works well.

tonyg(Posted 2008) [#5]
Hmmm, sounds obvious now.

Schragnasher(Posted 2008) [#6]
yup, lights likely have a range value and falloff or something. then the tile is setcolored according to those numbers. thats why its kinda blocky and uniform, because each tile it 1 single setcolor instead of a gradient like it would be in 3d.

Schragnasher(Posted 2008) [#7]
oops i didnt read teh fulle thread i see he replied himself :)