BLIde 0.9.42 RC1 available

BlitzMax Forums/BlitzMax Programming/BLIde 0.9.42 RC1 available

ziggy(Posted 2008) [#1]
EDIT: This post is obsolete. See http://www.blitzmax.com/Community/posts.php?topic=77232

Dreamora(Posted 2008) [#2]
I like the new installer look but it is really annoying that it is still incapable of reading the registry for the already installed blide version and its path if it is uncapable to stop multiple entries in the software list anyway :(

Amon(Posted 2008) [#3]
HI! I ran the installer and everything went fine.

While coding though I noticed that when a new line starts there is no scroll bar if it goes below the the coding window height.

[edit] Here's a pic

ziggy(Posted 2008) [#4]
@Amon: Please, load a default layout from the Window menu, it seems you have it corrupted (maybe an update thing)

@Dreamora: It does work on my computer and it forces me to uninstall previous version before proceeding. I wonder if you have any special setup or something.

Dreamora(Posted 2008) [#5]
Well, then it isn't really removing its traces cleanly then, can't say, but I always had 3+ "Blide for Blitzmax" entries in Software until I use Tuneup Program Uninstall to remove those traces.

Its not like it is real problem as its not regularily needed to install a new version :) But it still behaves non-standard and unexpected, not to look for its "original living place" so I thought pointing that out might be of interest

beside that, a great release. Will surely take my time going through it and see how I can benefit the best of the new capabilities :)
thank you

ziggy(Posted 2008) [#6]
@Dreamora: What are your system specs? Are you using Vista with UAC on? If you uninstall does it leave anything there? And if you don't uninstall, does it forces you to do it?
If it doesn't force you to do it, are you installing from different accounts (sometimes on an administrative one, sometimes on a regular account?)

Amon(Posted 2008) [#7]
After restarting BLide and loading a default layout the problem has now gone. Can't seem to make it happen again so all is good. :)

Dreamora(Posted 2008) [#8]
ziggy: Windows XP Pro SP2 German, always on the same account (administrator). Does not force me to uninstall. I could even install one of the older ones ( tested with QW 00.09.07 ) over the already existing one ( version at the beginning of this thread installed over the most current regular version ), without any notice or force of uninstall.

I know that it used to ask but I think that happend last with the 08 versions or the like, in any case surely long ago, as I can only remember vague that I had to uninstall the previous version upfront.

The really funny thing is: when you start the above beta installer or the one of the latest "stable" release, it realizes that it must update stuff and even does so in the blide folder. But in the install part after, it starts out again with the default folder, so it actually would know where to go, it just does not use it.

ziggy(Posted 2008) [#9]
There have been some bug reports that could be considered 'stability' issues, so I've released a quick patch.

You can get the patch for the RC1 version here:
http://www.ninjinkai.de/blide/blide-00-09-42-b.rar

or here:
http://www.blide.org/download1357908642wqeryuioiuysdfgyurB-3423-43-23/blide-00-09-42-b.rar

Apply the patch over the already installed RC1 version

EDIT: This patch is obsolete if using RC-2 version

Damien Sturdy(Posted 2008) [#10]
This is great, but!

It still seems to have difficulties when our project crashes. Sometimes blide halts for a minute before hilighting a random line or the line at the end of the current loop- maybe theres a console communication problem? (Ogre does spit a *ton* of stuff into the console.)

Any ideas?

The Max IDE shows the correct line when blide fails, resulting in me running a source file from MaxIDE if it fails in blide.

ziggy(Posted 2008) [#11]
I would need the source code to test it, as it seems to work ok with my applications, but they're small. Í know you're not releaseing source code... not sure if you can provide an application replicating this issue... Otherwise it is very difficult for me to find what can be causing this!

EDIT: found a copule of additional issues, so I will change the BLIde debuger deeply, as I want to be more effective in some situations.As long as the new debuger is ready for beta testing, could you please give it a try?

Damien Sturdy(Posted 2008) [#12]
I will of course give it a go :-)

I'll also speak with the team about providing you something to debug this issue.

Damien Sturdy(Posted 2008) [#13]
Update:

Actually, most of the instances where it used to do this are gone, It's a lot less common for the issue to occur now! :-)

Think i just hit one of those bugs yesterday. Will keep my eyes peeled!

ziggy(Posted 2008) [#14]
Ok, thanks for the information. Anyway, I think it is a stream-buffering issue. I'm changing all the internal buffering structure so the debug stream is only comunicating full debug blocks instead of trying to build them at real time. This could introduce some millisecs of delay on debug mode, but will prevent the debug mode enter a ilde status when processing incomplete debug trees. As soon as I have a new update, I'll send you a beta version for you to test it.

Damien Sturdy(Posted 2008) [#15]
UPDATE: Blideplus purchased. :-) Nice work.

plash(Posted 2008) [#16]
Possible bug here, with a bmx file open, and the text area active, when I move my mouse over the inactive tabs to the left or right, wait till the window slides out, then click in the window area it disappears again.

ziggy(Posted 2008) [#17]
@Plash: I think this is a simple 'losf focus' issue. I'll take a look but nothing important, surely fixed for next release.

Damien Sturdy(Posted 2008) [#18]
Ziggy- just an update, still no sign of that bug- looks like a freak incident! :D This new version of blide is WAY better than the old one :D

Tommo(Posted 2008) [#19]
"Newbie" here.

Just a little request...
Can you add a confirm dialog when users start a building without the "fast-build" option.
sometimes I need to rebuild the project. But I always forget to change the building-option back to "fast-mode" after rebuilding... So the next building remains in "rebuild mode", and it takes another full rebuilding time, which is quite annoying.

PS: Blide is almost perfect. It helps quite a lot.

TMK(Posted 2008) [#20]
A tiny request from me too, I'm a BlidePlus user, on the "Go To Line" window, it would be great if you could use the Enter key to press the OK button, so one doesn't need to click on it :)

And at the same time, any other similar windows where this might apply :)

ziggy(Posted 2008) [#21]
I'll add this for the next release, it is a good idea. Any other dialog to do the same?

Retimer(Posted 2008) [#22]
I currently do not own a BlidePlus license, but as a suggestion, is it possible to add in the find window the option to find in files rather than having a seperate tab for it?

ziggy(Posted 2008) [#23]
@Retimer: Not in currently BLIde engine, to do so, I would need a sort of 'intermediate' comunications between differents parsers data. I'll do this for future versions but not inmediatly as it is not exactly as simple as it seems.

Retimer(Posted 2008) [#24]
Figured that it was a bit of a tedious task, but good to know that it's in the planbook for the future :-)

ziggy(Posted 2008) [#25]
Yes it is on my 'todo' list

AlexO(Posted 2008) [#26]
RC1's looking great so far Ziggy :).

I did have an issue with a solution file that seemed to have gotten corrupted between version upgrades between the beta and RC1, but just recreating it with the same files resolved the issue.

Any plans to make BliDe IDE have a slick green color scheme like the splash screen? It looks yummy :D.

ziggy(Posted 2008) [#27]
Yes! It is almost ready for the RC2 version, with a new debugger. :D
The internal format of the bmx file manager for solutions has had some deep changes during the whole beta testing process. If you ever have this problem again, please it would be great if I could see a copy of the 'corrupted' solution in order to see what could be happening, but honestly, I'm almost sure it has been caused by the partial updates during the BETA process in your particular scenario.

ziggy(Posted 2008) [#28]
Another patch with a new debugger available here:
http://www.blide.org/beta-0-9-41-a/BLIde-0-9-42-b.rar
apply over current RC1 version.
changes:
Completely new debugger with LOTS of improvements
some minor bugfixing

Damien Sturdy(Posted 2008) [#29]
excelent, will test when I get home!

Damien Sturdy(Posted 2008) [#30]
Awesome! That works WONDERS! :D

ziggy(Posted 2008) [#31]
Hey Alex, cygnus, thanks for your possitive feedback. I hope the final release is almost here!

Forgot to mention that this patch has the Plash bug solved, and a 3d view preview for b3d files, 3ds files and x files. You need a BLide Plus account to preview media.

AlexO(Posted 2008) [#32]
sounds great. I'll test when I get home tonight. Does this new debugger resolve the dual monitors issue?

ziggy(Posted 2008) [#33]
I hope so! That was one of the parts I take most care off and now it doesn't deal with any kind of windows messaging.

AlexO(Posted 2008) [#34]
heya,
I just tried the latest patch for RC1 and the dual monitor issue is still there. Just to make sure it wasn't just my desktop with this issue, I took my laptop (running vista) and hooked it up to an external monitor also for dual monitor support. The same issue was happening on the laptop.

What's interesting though, is if I set my primary monitor to be the external the screen flickers (like before), but if i set my primary to be my laptop's screen it works just fine. With this bit of information I went to my desktop and switched which monitor was the primary (made the left one primary), and the problem went away also! So there is a bit of a work around for it :). Odd that it happens. And when I say 'went away' I mean that blide can be on any of the two monitors without issue with the debugger.

ziggy(Posted 2008) [#35]
This is starting to sound like a windows issue to me. Alexo, can you confirm it still happens when the full-screen graphics has the same size (width and height) than the desktop graphics, so the resolution of the screen is not changed?

AlexO(Posted 2008) [#36]
Just tested it again with full screen graphics:

1. on the setup where i could cuz the flickering to happen by setting my right monitor as my primary:
- flickering still happens with full screen graphics. (right monitor gets the graphics window and left monitor with blide).

2. on the setup where i could set my left as my primary to get rid of the flickering:
- with full screen graphics the debugger flickering doesn't happen.

so as a result it didn't seem that having full screen graphics affected anything.

ziggy(Posted 2008) [#37]
Ok, Alexo, I'll continue investigating... that's very weird.

plash(Posted 2008) [#38]
When showing the function information (putting the text cursor inside of the parentheses on a function call: "Print(|)" the '|' is where the text cursor would be), if a function is declared using '..' to extend the parameters onto the next line there is no way to view the parameters in the function info tooltip that are after the '..'.

Here is a screenshot of the problem using wx.wxframe's wxFrame.CreateFrame() function:

Using a test function with '..', that does not use bbdoc, seems to show all the parameters.

ziggy(Posted 2008) [#39]
@Plash: Can you write the complete function or method declaration causing this issues, so I can properly test it and solve any possible issue?

plash(Posted 2008) [#40]
	Rem
	bbdoc: TODO
	End Rem
	Function CreateFrame:wxFrame(parent:wxWindow = Null, id:Int = -1, title:String = "", x:Int = -1, y:Int = -1, ..
			w:Int = -1, h:Int = -1, style:Int = wxDEFAULT_FRAME_STYLE)

Return New wxFrame.Create(parent, id, title, x, y, w, h, style)

End Function

EDIT: as i said before, it only seems to be doing it when bbdoc is used

this example should not give the same result (should show all the parameters)
Function TestFunction(par1:Int, par2:String, par3:Double, par4:float = 0.0, ..
par5:String = "par5", obj:Object = Null)
End Function

EDIT2: Ok, now it only seems to be happening when called from wxFrame.CreateFrame(), using it locally will not work.
Even using it from a new type i don't know why it only does it in wxmax...
testtype.CreateFrame()
Type testtype
	Field nopar:Int
	Rem
	bbdoc: TODO
	End Rem
	Function CreateFrame:wxFrame(parent:wxWindow = Null, id:Int = -1, title:String = "", x:Int = -1, y:Int = -1, ..
			w:Int = -1, h:Int = -1, style:Int = wxDEFAULT_FRAME_STYLE)

Return New wxFrame.Create(parent, id, title, x, y, w, h, style)

End Function
End Type

ziggy(Posted 2008) [#41]
Be sure the last chars in the wxmax sources are .. and not ..[space] or ..[tab] or whatever

plash(Posted 2008) [#42]
Do you mean the last chars in the whole file? or just the function? (removing them from both changes nothing)

ziggy(Posted 2008) [#43]
I meant the last chars in the declaration line, but I see this is not the problem... I'll take a deeper look

EDIT: It seems that the .. operator doesn't work on the 'learning moodules keywords' algorithm. This will be fixed for the final release.

ziggy(Posted 2008) [#44]
@Plash: this has been fixed for next release
@Everyone: Is it me or this RC1 is even more stable than the current official release?
A improved debugger is ready for the final release. It is the same as the current improved debugger, but it gives a little more of information about local variables scopes on Strict and SuperStrict

Dreamora(Posted 2008) [#45]
hard to say, never had stability problems actually ...

plash(Posted 2008) [#46]
this has been fixed for next release

Yay! that was really nagging me.

TMK(Posted 2008) [#47]
I haven't seen this been done in any Blitz IDE before, but is it possible, while debugging, to be able to see the value of a variable by just holding the mouse over it (like in Visual Studio etc.), without looking at the debug tree?

If it's possible at all, such a feature in the future would really rock :)

plash(Posted 2008) [#48]
@TMK: Probably not, as far as I know the only way an IDE can get debug info from blitzmax is only when an error occurs.

ziggy(Posted 2008) [#49]
Or when a debugstop is reached. it could be possible in some very uncommon scenarios. I would like to give it a try for local variables of base types (int, long, float, short, strings). But not in the inmediate future.

TMK(Posted 2008) [#50]
Yep, I meant when the debugger is active (when an error has occurred or debugstop reached).

I figured it would be hard to implement since no IDE has it yet, so it's no problem :)

It's just always been annoying when debugging BlitzMax projects, locating the darn values in the debug tree (in all the IDE's) :)

SebHoll(Posted 2008) [#51]
Just taken a look at RC1, would it be possible to get BLIde to clean up the text in the call stack as it looks overly complicated - it just needs the filename and line/char no?

ziggy(Posted 2008) [#52]
@SebHoll: That's what it has now, filename and line / char, isn't it?

ziggy(Posted 2008) [#53]
BLIde 0.9.45-A Release Candidate 2 available as a full set up.

download here: http://www.ninjinkai.de/blide/BLIde-0-9-45-a.rar

or in case it fails to download, download here:
http://www.blide.org/download1357908642wqeryuioiuysdfgyurB-3423-43-23/BLIde-0-9-45-a.rar

This fixes some issues with internal-referencing when using compilation clusters on Solutions, and adds some interesting improvements to the solution explorer and the debugger. The documentation has also been updated.

That's the last version before official release.

AlexO(Posted 2008) [#54]
awesome! I'll be checking it out tonight

sulusgames(Posted 2008) [#55]
10x

z4g0(Posted 2008) [#56]
wow!! great peace of IDE! I love it!
thnx

[edit]
only one thing: working on a lot of .bmx files, the scroll system of "opened file barr" on top of code editor is a bit uncomfortable: a system like Eclipse ones, or a faster scroll speed will be better I think!

ziggy(Posted 2008) [#57]
@z4g0: I'll improve this. thanks. You can use the window menu to go to a speciffic document if you have too much. Notice that pressing Ctrl+F2 over a definition, will make BLIde jump to to the document and location where the definition is created (that helps on most situations).

Uber Jase(Posted 2008) [#58]
Will Blide Plus ever support Blitz3D?

ziggy(Posted 2008) [#59]
@metal mackey: No, there are no plans to support Blitz3D in the inmediate future

plash(Posted 2008) [#60]
Suggestion: add folding/unfolding options for more specific things, like functions or methods. (currently the menu only folds everything)

EDIT: and possibly a 'save all open files' menu option.

SebHoll(Posted 2008) [#61]
Hi Ziggy,

Just downloaded 0.9.45 and have noticed that the call stack *is* formatted nicely. Thanks ;-)

Hope you don't mind some constructive criticism:

The BLIde debugger still seems a bit awkward to use. For example, the buttons in the debugger control window (e.g. Step In, Step Over) sometimes don't pick up mouse clicks after flicking through the debug tree so have to be clicked twice in order to step through the code (could be a focus issue maybe). Also, it seems like the entire debug tree is recreated after every step, which looks unsightly when it flashes but also, means that the treeview is not scrolled back to the exact same place everytime - surprisingly the official MaxIDE doesn't suffer from these two issues (maybe it simply changes the text of the current nodes) and only adds/removes the necessary nodes.

I know its being picky but I would be really grateful if you could have a look into these annoyances...

Edit: OMG, lol - what happened with the BLIde icons - the older one was much better!??!!

ziggy(Posted 2008) [#62]
Hope you don't mind some constructive criticism:
I love it!

the buttons in the debugger control window (e.g. Step In, Step Over) sometimes don't pick up mouse clicks after flicking through the debug tree so have to be clicked twice in order to step through the code

That's a known issue, I'm fixing it for final release.

it seems like the entire debug tree is recreated after every step, which looks unsightly when it flashes but also, means that the treeview is not scrolled back to the exact same place everytime

Yes that's true, not sure how to fix this as even using the updating tree flags on VS, it seems it produces flickering... I'm looking a little bit more on this. Also to the Tree scrolling issue.

The new icon... Not sure if I really like it. I was adding new icons to support the new Vista ICO format. I supose (hope) I'll make something better for the final release.

Glenn Dodd(Posted 2008) [#63]
how far away is the final release?

ziggy(Posted 2008) [#64]
I'm just collecting some final changes, I hope in a week or so it'll be out. just some little minor issues to be fixed.

z4g0(Posted 2008) [#65]
@z4g0: I'll improve this. thanks. You can use the window menu to go to a speciffic document if you have too much. Notice that pressing Ctrl+F2 over a definition, will make BLIde jump to to the document and location where the definition is created (that helps on most situations).

yeah, great things!! (here is Shift+f2).

BTW.... in new versions of Eclipse there are a cool 'back/forward system' (dunno how to call it), that allow user to jump between all files, in the last modified (or selected) rows.
Like an "undo/redo" extended to all opened file, but without changing contents, or like an 'auto bookmarks' on all visited rows.

Should be great in blide!

ziggy(Posted 2008) [#66]
@z4q0: I will add this for the next version, it doesn't sound muh complicated to do

Armitage 1982(Posted 2008) [#67]
Just to say i use Blide 00.09.42-B RC1 since a week now and i must say you made a wonderfull IDE !

I was a little bit reluctant to try it again as older versions was constantly crashing but now it is very stable.
I didn't have a single crash with "normal" size project !

It's sometimes a little bit hard to read the line you're working on with the default bracket box theme and in some case the automatic indentation break the page structure but apart from that i found Blide very powerful and usefull in many situation.

Nice evolution for one of the best IDE for BlitzMax !

ziggy(Posted 2008) [#68]
Thanks Armitage 1982! Anyway, this version is obsolete, the final non beta release is out!!!
(see this post http://www.blitzmax.com/Community/posts.php?topic=77232 )

Armitage 1982(Posted 2008) [#69]
hurraaaaaaay ^^