event handler

BlitzMax Forums/BlitzMax Programming/event handler

Schragnasher(Posted 2008) [#1]
I am not using the MAXGUI elements, but i am using the event system. I just was wondering if it was feesible to create my own event handler that is as fast as the MAXGUI one, for some reason im thinking its doing alot of work outside the scope of BMAX. Any thoughts? I like the idea of having my own custom made events, it would be more streamlined and easer for my to use.

Dreamora(Posted 2008) [#2]
1. The event system does not generate most of the events at all. Only the "canvas related" ones from MaxGUI
2. it does not do anything outside BM. It just generates BM events for standard OS window events for the given context.
3. You can generate own events for your own task and handle them in event hooks for example. Thats actually done by different people as this allows you a more streamlined code design especially if you use event handlers and not the C++ stone age approach of "selecting the event".

Schragnasher(Posted 2008) [#3]
thanks, is there a good tutorial on hooks? iv been confused by them since i saw them and pretty much wrote them off as too confusing to be helpful lol. iv reading over this help file but im still confused.

Schragnasher(Posted 2008) [#4]
never mind i found a tutorial. thanks though

Otus(Posted 2008) [#5]
Could you point me to the tutorial too?

Dreamora(Posted 2008) [#6]
Assaris MaxGUI tutorials (the only reason to use event hooks as most events are not generated without maxgui) have an event hook in.

check http://www.2dgamecreators.com