Blitzmax for scientific aplications

BlitzMax Forums/BlitzMax Programming/Blitzmax for scientific aplications

Naughty Alien(Posted 2008) [#1]
..as topic said..is there any limitation, regarding use of BlitzMax in scientific aplications?

Dreamora(Posted 2008) [#2]
Depends on what you want to do on the scientific end.
you have no unsigned numbers, you have a GC behind the scenes, you have no access to doubledouble / quad.

Czar Flavius(Posted 2008) [#3]
You could maybe use C(++) to overcome those limitations.. but then you might as well just do it in C(++).

Brucey(Posted 2008) [#4]
is there any limitation, regarding use of BlitzMax in scientific aplications?

Other than it being a game programming language? None that I know of.

ImaginaryHuman(Posted 2008) [#5]
You can build your own math operations which join together as many Int's or Long's as you like.

You could use two Long's to make a fixed-point 128-bit number, using one as the main number and the other as the fractional part.

You can also convert a signed Long into an unsighed Long by subtracting 2^62-1 (i think), so that numbers are then in a 0 to 2^63 range with no negative. Then to convert it back you add that number to it again.

You could devise your own floating point format based on Int's or Long's using as much data as you like to represent it.

For example I made some bitmap pixel rendering routines which would support 64-bit unsigned integer values per color component. You have to do some of your own bit manipulation, like handling the carrying over of bits, or doing your own math at the binary level.

This is presuming you want more accurate numbers, which may not necessarily be the case. Double's are pretty accurate for most things. You could use several doubles together if you wanted to.

Czar Flavius(Posted 2008) [#6]
If speed is important (ie for a simulation/iterative maths thing) then would those methods be slow?

FlameDuck(Posted 2008) [#7]
is there any limitation, regarding use of BlitzMax in scientific aplications?
Compared to MATLAB? Oh yes. Compared to other imperative programming languages, no. But if you're doing non-computer related science, chances are good you'd want to use a declarative language instead.

Czar Flavius(Posted 2008) [#8]
How useful is MATLAB? I have to use it next semester.