Query Audio Driver

BlitzMax Forums/BlitzMax Programming/Query Audio Driver

Tachyon(Posted 2008) [#1]
Is there a command that will report back what the current Audio Driver in use is? Something like:
Print CurrentAudioDriver()

would be nice. Is there any way of querying what the current audio driver is?

Dreamora(Posted 2008) [#2]
Well as you set it manually, you can just store it in a string, can't you? :)

Grey Alien(Posted 2008) [#3]
That's what I do. The default was FreeAudio but I think it was being changed to DirectSound the last I heard (don't know if that's been done yet). So if you know the default and track when you change it, then you know which is current. AGREED that a function like that is handy. Perhaps it could made easily with a case statement that checks the TYPE of the current sound driver?

Tachyon(Posted 2008) [#4]
The default was FreeAudio but I think it was being changed to DirectSound...

My point exactly. Querying the default audio driver would be very handy. Furthermore, the last time I check Linux didn't use "FreeAudio" but rather "FreeAudio Opensound System". How do we know exactly what the system is currently using?

Yan(Posted 2008) [#5]
I concur.

Unfortunately, my extensive research* has shown the required globals and functions to be private.

It's (seemingly) easy enough to add a function to 'brl.mod/audio.mod/audio.bmx' though...
Rem
bbdoc: Get current audio driver
about:
Returns a string describing the current audio driver.
End Rem
Function GetAudioDriver$()
  Return Driver().Name()
End Function
...should do it.

*All 2 minutes of it. ;o)

Tachyon(Posted 2008) [#6]
Nice job!

Grey Alien(Posted 2008) [#7]
We need this added by BRL as a standard function.

Yan(Posted 2008) [#8]
[cheap shot]
We'd probably be more likely to see Richard Dawkins ordained as the Archbishop of Afghanistan. ;op
[/cheap shot]

Grey Alien(Posted 2008) [#9]
BRL are pretty good at fixing bugs and they do add in new features quite often (but more those on their own agenda for some reason).

Maybe what we really need is some kind of proper forum for requsts where we can list the request and how simple it seems (like the above, we already have the code so know it's V. EASY) then people could vote if they want it. That would increase customer satisfaction. Also BRL could add in the things THEY are planning to work on as well...

Dreamora(Posted 2008) [#10]
Well the point of the SVN is exactly to make this kind of "smallish extensions" possible to be added during the versions ... sync mods don't qualify for 1 function update.

And I think the correct forum for such stuff would be the modules board and the very simple thing most still don't use: usefull, representative thread titles instead of garbage.