Compile Differently

BlitzMax Forums/BlitzMax Programming/Compile Differently

Ked(Posted 2008) [#1]
Most of you know that in Blitz3D and BlitzPlus that blitzcc will compile but will not create an exe unless you click the menu that says "Create EXE." Is there a way to do this is BlitzMax? I am wondering because I'm trying to create a TCP server and every time I go to test it I have to keep pressing "Allow" on my Virus Protection. But with Blitz+ I have a rule set up to always allow blitzcc.exe.

Dreamora(Posted 2008) [#2]
No
BM will always compile an exe as it links the different obj files which is due to the fact that it imports C / C++ code and supports modules.

If you tell your AV protection to ignore the data on that file you shouldn't have problems as well.

Ked(Posted 2008) [#3]
If you tell your AV protection to ignore the data on that file you shouldn't have problems as well.

But when I recompile it, it comes up again asking if I want to still allow it because it was modified.

Dreamora(Posted 2008) [#4]
narf ... that meant "Tell your AV Protection to ignore the date *modification / creation*"
Don't know if yours supports it ... if not, then just put the exe onto the exclude list that should be fine as well.

xlsior(Posted 2008) [#5]
Some anti-virus programs can also exclude a specific folder/path from on-access scanning -- maybe you can exclude your blitz working folder.

GW(Posted 2008) [#6]
just turn off your firewall while your testing.

Ked(Posted 2008) [#7]
I use Norton Antivirus 2008. Can someone show me how to exclude just the EXE?

Dreamora(Posted 2008) [#8]
Start - System Control - Software
Uninstall Norton SuperVirus 2008

then to go grisoft.com and install AVG.

ziggy(Posted 2008) [#9]
or Nod32, or Kaspersky... Norton is a resource eater and has all this kind of weirdness...

Ked(Posted 2008) [#10]
I'm not wanting to change AV's though.

Dreamora(Posted 2008) [#11]
Then learn how to use the most problematic anti-security suite available I fear ...
No even semi professional PC user will be able to help you most likely as those wouldn't even have it on the system if it was free.
Norton 360 etc is 360 degrees of vulnerability.

xlsior(Posted 2008) [#12]
I'm not wanting to change AV's though.

Personally I wouldn't touch Norton with a 10 foot pole.

I used to work for an ISP, and easily 20% of all support calls coming in were the direct result of Norton screwing things up. (timing out while downloading email, freezing the PC, etc.)
Switching to a different anti-virus program (ANY anti-virus program) was an instant fix in pretty much all cases. Norton used to be pretty decent, but has been going downhill rapidly for quite a few years now :-?

Dreamora(Posted 2008) [#13]
the firewall was never working ... it used to even kill UO players all the time ^^

Ked(Posted 2008) [#14]
When the time comes for my current AV subscription to expire and when I have decided to switch, if I download the Full Version of one of the various AVG products would I really be downloading a free full version?

xlsior(Posted 2008) [#15]
The free version of AVG (AVG Free) is fully functional. The only real differences with the payware version is that you you can't schedule things as precisely (you can only schedule automatic updates and/or full system scans to happen once a day, and the free version doesn't include the firewall.

(The free version is a bit hidden away on their site since they hope people will spring for the payware one, of course)

Damien Sturdy(Posted 2008) [#16]

Start - System Control - Software
Uninstall Norton SuperVirus 2008

then to go grisoft.com and install AVG.

LOL, I was going to suggest the same thing. Your system will be faster.

Ked(Posted 2008) [#17]
LOL, I was going to suggest the same thing. Your system will be faster.

I think I have decided that when this Norton gets finished I will probably put AVG on.

CGV(Posted 2008) [#18]
I've noticed AVG always gets recommended. You guys have anything against Avast?

Since I recently switched to it, I've become curious as to why I never see it recommended when the discussion turns to free anti virus software.