Collada versus X

BlitzMax Forums/BlitzMax Programming/Collada versus X

JoshK(Posted 2008) [#1]
Discuss.

Dreamora(Posted 2008) [#2]
Collada:
- Pro: Open Standard, 1 format, support for physics and different types of animations
- Con: Large size due to XML, harder to load under OpenGL (collada is the same under each)

X:
- Pro: "standard", flexible due to chunk structure, easy to load under DX, no physics, less flexibility on the animation types etc
- Con: distinct format incarnations, seriously bugged exporters with a lot of applications depending on where you want to import it. Hard to implement if you do not use DirectX as you would need to implement the whole DTD stuff as well to be X conform. Otherwise the export could be as problematic as Blitz3Ds X loading capability ...

Best: support both. Collada has a loader lib, X is well enough documented, so both not hard.

N(Posted 2008) [#3]
What's there to discuss?

Edit: Honestly, I hate it when people just throw out something and say "discuss." Can't contribute to the discussion yourself?

smilertoo(Posted 2008) [#4]
Does it really matter either way when everything in blitz seems to run its skinning in software?

Dreamora(Posted 2008) [#5]
He isn't interested in what blitz does.
This is quite surely a discussion for the next / a future version of leadwerks engine :)

JoshK(Posted 2008) [#6]
Once I got into some depth with Collada I learned it is nothing like what is claims to be. It's really just Sony's leftover garbage, with $10,000 pumped into it every year so they can have a booth at the GDC. I decided to go with the .x file format instead.

Here are my final thoughts on Collada:
https://collada.org/public_forum/viewtopic.php?p=3411&sid=07e0998fc15f65562ad7fbf4355bacf1#3411

Russell(Posted 2008) [#7]
O.T.:
If someone could pump a couple hundred million dollars into Ron Paul's campaign, he might have a chance....
Probably the best person for the job, the person with the best ideas, is somebody who is not rich, not a lawyer, no axe to grind or agenda to put into action (out in the open or secretly) and, unfortunately, not being rich or a corporate butt-kisser, would have no chance to win. This system needs to be fixed.

Russell

JoshK(Posted 2008) [#8]
Ron Paul broke the record for the largest campaign contributions in one day, with 6 million dollars donated in 24 hours, all from individual donars, with an average donation around $105.

LAB[au](Posted 2008) [#9]
Well I could not agree more about collada.

Dreamora(Posted 2008) [#10]
Collada is a full fledge 3D Model format.

Not a "gamer format" and thats quite precisely stated like this in the initial information page there.

But actually, as it is an open format, you could as well use it to design a "Collada GF" (Collada GameFormat) using it as base.

What made me laugh the most was the point on exporters to all major 3d dev suites and mentioning X in the same go ... rarely had something that "exlude each other" that much in the last 2 months as that actually.
After having years of frustration experience with it and normally using Ultimate Unwrap 3D to make the exported X really game X format compatible, I can say that most 1000 USD + applications tend to export stuff thats nice to conform the X Standard in the SDK documentation ... but export totally useless trash when it comes to use it anywhere at all.

Unless you do a 1:1 feature port of the D3DX importer you have little chance to succeed with your attempt to import X ... (and this means doing the DTD like chunk definition reading as well)

Especially make sure to get your hands on a Cinema4D X Export to have a "worst case" test model.

FlagDKT(Posted 2008) [#11]
try panda exporter, it have very nice x support (also for skinned meshes)