Writing documentation...

BlitzMax Forums/BlitzMax Programming/Writing documentation...

Brucey(Posted 2007) [#1]
I actually don't mind doing documentation for my modules, although it sometimes takes almost as long to do the docs as it did to code the module.

The bit I find the hardest is trying to *explain* how to use them (The bit where you document a particular method and its parameters is easy) - ie. making a tutorial that doesn't waffle on too much while at the same time providing enough information to help the user learn how to use the module.

This is my latest attempt : http://code.google.com/p/maxmods/wiki/MaxUnitModule

Is there anything that I shouldn't be doing there? Have I explained enough about what to do?
If you were to go through it, would you be able to sit down and use the module without too much trouble?

Any guidance is appreciated :-)

grable(Posted 2007) [#2]
Its short and to the point, i liked it.

Perturbatio(Posted 2007) [#3]
Looks decent enough, maybe a little sparse on the explanation of why you should use unit testing over traditional methods of debugging.

Also another example might help enforce the concepts, and maybe expand on the usage of {setup}, {test} and {teardown}.

It is concise which is good, I didn't get bored reading it (I often skip the preamble in books because they all feel the need to explain the effect the Romans had on modern computing (or something like that)).

Czar Flavius(Posted 2007) [#4]
They were the first to invent dual-core abacuses.