CrystalSpace and BlitzMax ?

BlitzMax Forums/BlitzMax Programming/CrystalSpace and BlitzMax ?

Abrexxes(Posted 2007) [#1]
http://www.crystalspace3d.org/main/Main_Page

Has anyone tried to get this working with blitzmax ? As it is a free win32/unix/OS-X engine....

N(Posted 2007) [#2]
CrystalSpace is a horrible, horrible engine and I can't believe you would consider using it. Feel ashamed.

Abrexxes(Posted 2007) [#3]
I consider nothing. It was just a question....... (dont shoot me)

Brucey(Posted 2007) [#4]
I guess the answer to your question is no then? ;-)

LarsG(Posted 2007) [#5]
Noel; do you mind explaining why CrystalSpace is so horrible?

N(Posted 2007) [#6]
Firstly, development on the current renderer has only recently begun - before this, it was pretty much a pure software engine. A very slow software engine.

Secondly, just writing code for the engine is downright painful. Try it, you will hate it and wish to burn the people responsible for its original design.

Thirdly, tools for it are terrible. Really nothing more to this point, they really are just downright awful.

popcade(Posted 2007) [#7]
>Try it, you will hate it and wish to burn the people responsible for its original design.

This IS very true, I believe Crystal Space was designed by Satan...you'll get in super bad mood if using it, you should try Irrlicht instead....

Dreamora(Posted 2007) [#8]
I always thought it was designed by Satans son, you know one of that brats that tries to create an MMO in 3 weeks that kills WoW :-)

But yes, its design, while having some serious potential, has mainly problems that so far forced to quite deep rewrites of the engine. I wouldn't waste my time on wrapping it, there are full featured engines using OGRE in open source form, that are definitely more adviceable.

plash(Posted 2007) [#9]
I hate having to use external 3d engines, you can never draw native blitzmax stuff, it always has to be controlled by the 3d engine. If there was a more powerful minib3d I would def be using 3d alot more..

Dreamora(Posted 2007) [#10]
Kleptos mod of MiniB3D?

If VBO, shadow, physics and shaders isn't enough you have to wait for 2015 for 3D projectors to get any better ;-)

jhocking(Posted 2007) [#11]
Note that the latest update to miniB3D allows you to use the native Max2D commands on top of the 3D graphics.

Filax(Posted 2007) [#12]
Me, i'm waiting the OGRE wrapper.... Message to Flow creator (Evak) :
"Move your ass! :) Post a demo :)"

Leon Drake(Posted 2007) [#13]
i tried crystal space, and i found it was easier to program a game by stabbing my eyes with a barbed fork than writing code in it.

Czar Flavius(Posted 2007) [#14]
What is so bad with it?

N(Posted 2007) [#15]
.. I just... didn't I just go over this?

Abrexxes(Posted 2007) [#16]
@ Brucey

Yes, absolutely "No". XD

Czar Flavius(Posted 2007) [#17]
The only specific reason you gave was that it used to be a very slow software engine. Though I don't doubt that it's terrible and hard to write code for, simply say it's terrible doesn't explain why ;)

N(Posted 2007) [#18]
Ok, go use it. Let me know when you've stabbed yourself.

popcade(Posted 2007) [#19]
Ahh...

Actually, it(Crastal Space) is "the-best-3d-engine" in the world, we want to stop anyone who want to acquire this ultimate power, so we pretend it's very bad and kep bashing on it.

(I will be in hell for this... :P)