New Mac MaxIDE...

BlitzMax Forums/BlitzMax Programming/New Mac MaxIDE...

marksibly(Posted 2007) [#1]
Hi,

New MaxIDE for Mac is ready for testing here:

http://www.blitzbasic.com/tmp/MaxIDE_PPC.zip
http://www.blitzbasic.com/tmp/MaxIDE_X86.zip

This version should be radically faster at loading large files etc. than current (or past) versions. Under one second seems to be standard for any file!

Thanks to Brucey for working out the 'fix'...

LarsG(Posted 2007) [#2]
Cool.. gonna test it now..

MrTAToad(Posted 2007) [#3]
The background colour for the icons is white - which'll need fixing, of course. Although the colour is correct when reloading it.

And the program crashed on exit - this is with the Intel version.

It is quick though.

plash(Posted 2007) [#4]
ohh.. macs...

mark, weren't you making an ide named quark?

marksibly(Posted 2007) [#5]

The background colour for the icons is white - which'll need fixing, of course. Although the colour is correct when reloading it.

And the program crashed on exit - this is with the Intel version.

Anyone else?

What OS version are you running?

I get neither problem under either 10.4.11 or 10.5.1.

What do you mean by 'the colour is correct when reloading it'?

MrTAToad(Posted 2007) [#6]
Originally the background for the icons was white, instead of the usual grey.

I'm running 10.5.1 (Intel)

This is the error log text for the crash on exit :

05/12/2007 19:43:38 MaxIDE[165] Message sent to an NSImage that was alloc'ed but not yet initialized! Break on -[NSImage _failsafeAllocAuxiliaryStorage] to debug. This will be logged only once.
05/12/2007 19:45:05 SubmitReport[301] Submitted compressed hang report for MaxIDE

JAG(Posted 2007) [#7]
Just tried the new version of MaxIDE. Seems to work fine on my system. I tried it with one of the demo programs. File opening is very fast now.

Using: Mac iBookG4, Mac OSX 10.4.11, 1.33G PPC G4, 512M RAM

remz(Posted 2007) [#8]
Just tried it: flawless.
Ultra fast syntax highlighting, no problem encoutered.
(as I said in a previous post, my own modified version was equally fast but had a peculiar bug of misplacing the cursor whenever a syntax highlighting occured.. i.e.: after typing any known keyword. Pretty annoying!)

Big thanks to Brucey and Mark!

ImaginaryHuman(Posted 2007) [#9]
This is WAY faster than any previous MaxIDE. I am amazed how fast it loads the files upon startup.

I had no problems here at all. Thankyou very much!

Now, just one ongoing niggle - why is Find & Replace SO SLOW? I know it has to show you every single instance that it replaces but visually moving the cursor around while it does takes a long time for lots of replaces. Can a similar thing be done that was done for the fast loading, so that either it updates a lot faster or does not show the changes until all replacing is finished?

plash(Posted 2007) [#10]
why is Find & Replace SO SLOW?

since it moves the cursor around, im assuming locktextarea/unlocktextarea might help when find/replace is searching? (remove the visual part [cursor moving..] more speed :D)

ImaginaryHuman(Posted 2007) [#11]
It reminds me of how slow AMOS Basic was on the Amiga when manipulating any of the sourcecode. ;-0

Brucey(Posted 2007) [#12]
locktextarea/unlocktextarea might help

You'd think so, but there were issues in Cocoa trying to manipulate the TextArea while inside a batch-editing "lock".
The main problem is the way the IDE uses the API in a generic fashion for "Find/Replace".
If I were coding it myself, I would ensure that Find/Replace was done at a lower level, which avoided the problems of causing LayoutManager updates during the "lock".

I'm sure there'll be a workaround at some point ;-)

remz(Posted 2007) [#13]
Hey there Brucey,

I found a little quirk that is missing in this 'temporary patch-maxide-app': it doesn't have the necessary CFBundleDocumentTypes item in its Info.plist file. It confuses Mac OS that doesn't want to associate .bmx files with this app.

Thanks again anyhow for helping. You are great.

siread(Posted 2007) [#14]
Is this a "new" IDE or an update for the old one?

Tachyon(Posted 2007) [#15]
How hard would it be to get these speed increases into the Windows IDE? That sure would be nice. :)

MrTAToad(Posted 2007) [#16]
Its an update of the current one.

Grey Alien(Posted 2007) [#17]
I tried brucey's one from the 1.28 thread and it loads REALLY fast now, this is ace. Yeah how about the same in the PC one :-) My project got pretty big and slow to load towards the end.

Mark Tiffany(Posted 2007) [#18]
The problems with the PC IDE are believed to be down to the WIndows textarea control. In order to get any worthwhile speed increase on PC, a custom textarea is needed. We do have a beta one for the CE IDE (thanks to dmaz), we just never quite got round to plugging it in...

MrTAToad(Posted 2007) [#19]
This is what I mean about the icons :

impixi(Posted 2007) [#20]
Something similar happens to me when I double-click a BlitzMax file in Finder (OS X Leopard 10.5.1) - the icons in the GUI display as above. Then when I try to compile anything I receive an error:

"Compile Error"
"Can't find interface for module 'brl.blitz'"

The title in the main GUI window is:
MaxIDE - /Applications/BlitzMax/UpdateBackup0/Mod/brl.mod/blitz.mod/blitz_classes.i

So it seems the Finder file associations are screwed somehow. Perhaps this is related to your problem MrTAToad?

However, if I load the BlitzMax GUI and then load a BlitzMax file, the icons appear correctly and everything compiles as it should.

MrTAToad(Posted 2007) [#21]
No, I dont get any compiler problems - it happens when double-clicking on a BMX - but only sometimes.

Another program with the new IDE is that the graphic associated with BMX file has now been lost (plus Change All doesn't work - but then I've had that problem before). For some reason, 10.5 doesn't think that MaxIDE is a recommended program.

http://www.nicholaskingsley.co.uk/MiscThings/info.tiff

marksibly(Posted 2007) [#22]
Hi,

I believe that OS X 'remembers' the app used to open a file, so if you upgrade the IDE, files opened with the old IDE will continue to use the old IDE.

I get the same thing with non-Max files on the Mac - clicking on a .php file can end up opening either xcode or textview, depending on what I initially used to edit/create it.

Early versions of OS X would quite happily even run apps out of the trashcan this way!

I'm not sure how to fix this though...any Mac advice welcome...

Tricky(Posted 2007) [#23]
I think that's a MacOS issue because it does that will all files so they always open with older versions of applications if they were created on those older versions.

The only way I know to "fix" this is to write a app that scans the entire harddisk for .bmx files and associate them to the newer version of BMax/MaxIDE.

MrTAToad(Posted 2007) [#24]
Usually its just a matter of getting rid of the .plist file in /Library/Preferences (to clear the 'Open With' list - but in 10.5, its not always present. Probably because MAXIde isn't classed as a recommended application...

It loads the new IDE okay (trashed the old one), but just wont use the BlitzMax icon - probably because its not a recommended application. That is probably the key...

remz(Posted 2007) [#25]
Early versions of OS X would quite happily even run apps out of the trashcan this way!

I'm not sure how to fix this though...any Mac advice welcome...

Yeah, the backup folder that patching BMAX creates is 'dangerous' in the sense that your old bmax is kept and might still be associated with .bmx.
This 'fix' this on the mac, you need to delete the 'updatebackup' folder, then empty the trashcan. No more traces of any old bmax, the new one will get called correctly.

MrTAToad(Posted 2007) [#26]
Iin my case I got rid of all the backup folders (but then it had no trouble loading the new IDE anyway) - its the icon thats missing.

Blueapples(Posted 2007) [#27]
Hiding/showing the toolbar with the button on the right end of the window title does not resize the window contents immediately. I have to resize the window a bit with the resize throbber to get it to reset itself.

i.e. When I hide the toolbar, there is a blank area the size of the toolbar at the bottom. After resizing it resets itself, but then after showing the toolbar, the code editor and help sidebar extend below the fold of the window.

Blueapples(Posted 2007) [#28]
Oh and can we get source so we can put the appstub patch into this build? It'd be nice if those additions were just accepted into the default IDE...

http://wxmax.googlecode.com/files/MaxIDE%20wxMax%20OSX%20hack.zip

morszeck(Posted 2007) [#29]
The key combination are not running on my Mac!

Apple+C and Apple+V or Apple+R and Apple+B

== edit ==

AHHH... it's Ctrl+C and Ctrl+V ....

This is not fine!

MrTAToad(Posted 2007) [#30]
Still cant get the IDE to become a recommended program so that the icons for .BMX files can set back to normal...

Brucey(Posted 2007) [#31]
Ctrl-C ? Are you sure? Not on Mine...

Maybe there's an option in the IDE to "use native keys" or something?

MrTAToad(Posted 2007) [#32]
'Use OS Specific Shortcut Keys'

Brucey(Posted 2007) [#33]
That'll be the one :-)

MrTAToad(Posted 2007) [#34]
Think I know why the icons are now generic for .bmx files - it appears the program doesn't have the CFBundleIdentifier key...

See http://www.blitzbasic.com/Community/posts.php?topic=62309

I was right - it is missing, and is partially the cause of the problem (if not the sole cause). A CFTypeName is also missing.

LeisureSuitLurie(Posted 2007) [#35]
No issues so far. 10.4.11 PPC.

tonyg(Posted 2007) [#36]
Is there going to be an improved or equivalent Win32 IDE?
If so, is there a 'Create program icon' button? If not, can there be? Is there code folding? If not, can there be?

d-bug(Posted 2007) [#37]
Some new issues occured on the Mac IDE:

1. Setting tabwidth does only show on new codepanels, when you restart the IDE. This doesn't occure on opened codepanels...

2. Code-Indent seems to be limited. You can press tab like hell, but the code doesn't indent.

3. Interrupting current Process by APPLE+ALT+ESC freezes the TextArea and TreeView. You again have to restart the IDE.

My system : OS X Leopard 10.5.1

cheers

gameshastra(Posted 2008) [#38]
Hi

Do you know how to print a file in Mac OS using BlitzMax code?
I tried with wxWidget but it need to import a framework, but i am using a different framework..

Any Help!