BlitzMax Update 128 now available.

BlitzMax Forums/BlitzMax Programming/BlitzMax Update 128 now available.

marksibly(Posted 2007) [#1]
Hi,

BlitzMax update V128 is now available from the product updates section of the Account page.

This is mainly a 'cleanup' release - ie: no major new changes.

BlackSp1der(Posted 2007) [#2]
finally!
thanks.

MrTAToad(Posted 2007) [#3]
I see AXE.MOD is still gives a compiler error (specifically the PortAudio mod), but aside from that its all okay.

Tachyon(Posted 2007) [#4]
It is taking a LONG time to open a file on MacOS in 1.28. In fact, I think the time it takes has doubled. My PPC (which is admittedly a slower computer) is still in the process of opening my project (it has now been just over 5 minutes).

My Mac Book Pro, which is much faster, took about 3.5 minutes. This is considerably slower than the 1.26 IDE.

[Update] My PPC just finished opening the project in 6m 23s :(

marksibly(Posted 2007) [#5]

It is taking a LONG time to open a file on MacOS in 1.28

Hmm...that's odd. Perhaps use the previous version until we sort it out?

N(Posted 2007) [#6]
Thanks. One request, rather small I think: could you please not use .doc files for the release notes and change log? RTF would be a lot nicer, since you'd never need any Office programs to open it. Or just use TXT. There's nothing in these that requires any formatting beyond indentation and line breaks.

Just a thought.

Mark Tiffany(Posted 2007) [#7]
The .doc files are text files. The extension should .txt really.

marksibly(Posted 2007) [#8]
Hi,

The trouble with .txt was the 'default' text viewer on each platform.

Notepad barfs if you only have ~n linefeeds (so we'd get user complaints if I accidentally editted versions.txt in non-notepad), while the Mac (or Linux) default text editors didn't like ~r in there - or something to that effect.

.doc was the only format that appeared to open properly on all platforms regardless of EOL convention.

But we'll get user complaints either way, so I probably should have just left it .txt...

Grey Alien(Posted 2007) [#9]
Great thanks Mark. Is there a list of fixes/changes anywhere? I'll probably use 1.28 for the Mac version of my game but I've already released the PC version on 1.26 - are there any BIG issues with 1.26 that might make we want to rethink that? Many thanks.

Mark Tiffany(Posted 2007) [#10]
See versions.txt. CE IDE provides a link to it in the help section.

marksibly(Posted 2007) [#11]

but I've already released the PC version on 1.28

1.26?

- are there any BIG issues with 1.26 that might make we want to rethink that?

No, this is really just a tidy up release.

JAG(Posted 2007) [#12]
Just updated to 1.28. A couple of comments:
I don't see the problem with slow file opening mentioned above. I am running Mac os 10.4
The reorganization of the documentation of modules has resulted in the disappearance of MaxGui documentation. At least I can't find it. It used to be found directly under modules in the Home view of the IDE. Now I can't seem to find it anywhere.

John

Using: Mac iBookG4, Mac OSX 10.4.11, 1.33G PPC G4, 512M RAM

JAG(Posted 2007) [#13]
I spoke too soon in my previous post. I do see the problem of slow file opening reported by others, on my system. The first file I opened was just too small to see it.

John

Grey Alien(Posted 2007) [#14]
mark, yeah 1.26 (edited post). Thanks for the info. Is there a list of updates?

ckob(Posted 2007) [#15]
still breaks maxGUI :( since 1.26 i havent been able to run anything with maxGUI I get.

C:/Program Files/BlitzMax/mod/brl.mod/win32maxgui.mod/win32maxgui.debug.win32.x86.a(group.cpp.debug.win32.x86.o):group.cpp:(.text+0x22): undefined reference to `std::__default_alloc_template<true, 0>::allocate(unsigned int)'
...etc...

marksibly(Posted 2007) [#16]

still breaks maxGUI :( since 1.26 i havent been able to run anything with maxGUI I get.

Are you rebuilding any modules?

Does it happen with a straight update/syncmods/test?

This looks like a MinGW version issue - ie: trying to link files built with 2 different versions of MinGW.

jhocking(Posted 2007) [#17]
Jag, Synchronize Modules to get MaxGUI for the new version, and then Rebuild Documentation.

Tachyon(Posted 2007) [#18]
Thanks Mark for the update. I had several Mac testers who were stuck until that MacOS graphics glitch was fixed.

JAG, you were able to confirm the slow loading on MacOS? Very good. Anyone else? I mean, a large file takes a really long time to load...like "go make a sandwich and eat it" amount of time. ;)

Brucey(Posted 2007) [#19]
Hi guys... give this version of the Mac IDE a go :

edit not quite... :-p
MaxIDE.zip (320kb)

Remember to backup your current one before you drop this in, just in case.

Hopefully this solves the speed issues - built with a tweaked version of CocoaMaxGUI (kind of 1.28 with extra stuff).

xlsior(Posted 2007) [#20]
Is there a list of updates?

Grey: There's a versions.doc in the root of the blitzmax folder which always contains the changes. For 1.28 it shows the following:

+ (BMK/BRL.CocoaMaxGui/Pub.FreeProcess) Fixed various Leopard issues.

+ (BRL.Blitz) Fixed array downcasting.

+ (BRL.GLGraphics) Reverted mac version to fix windowed/fullscreen swap problems.

+ (BRL.FileSystem) Implemented 'FixPath' fix to allow for 'incbin::' style paths.

+ (BRL.Win32MaxGui) Fixed textview flicker issue.

+ (BRL.Reflection) Fixed issue with array TTypeId losing type desc byte ptr.

+ (MAKEDOCS) Fixed missing examples.

+ (BCC) Added check for concatenation of multidim arrays - not allowed!

+ (Brl.CocoaMaxGui) Implemented Brucey's fixes.

+ (BMK) Implemented Brucey's modifications.

+ (MaxIDE) Got rid of console text stream.

+ (BRL.DirectSoundAudio) Fixed premature release of sound buffer.

+ (BRL.OpenALAudio) Fixed faulty detection of 'finished' channels and handling of channel exhaustion.

+ (BMK) Added experimental speedup hack. Some issues with deleted bmx files, so off by
default for now. To enable, create an env var called BMK_SPEEDUP set to 1. See bmk_make.bmx for details.

So... does this mean that we no longer need a custom BMK compile to be able to use most of Brucey's modules? :-)

N(Posted 2007) [#21]
Brucey: Might want to link to it.

skidracer(Posted 2007) [#22]
Brucey I tried disabling the applyFontTraits call and MaxIDE seemed to spring back to it's former nimbleness.

xlsior(Posted 2007) [#23]
The new speedup hack (BMK_SPEEDUP) seems to make quite a difference...

Brucey(Posted 2007) [#24]
Skid, that's cool if we don't want style formatting on OS X textareas... (fine by me!)

Otherwise, I've got around the problem by implementing LockTextArea and UnlockTextArea properly using begin/endEditing on the storage.
Strangely though, on unlocking, it reports the cursor pos at the beginning of the next line, so it requires also applying some code to remember where the cursor was before the textarea is locked...
And for some reason, doing a Replace All on the textarea while it is locked is bad - well, anything that blows up the app might be seen as bad ;-)
So, I disabled the lock/unlock in replaceall in the maxide source. (not that locking worked before anyway, so at this point in the code, you don't see any difference to how it worked previously - ie. it's a bit slow)

This is resulting OS X app :

http://brucey.net/programming/blitz/misc/stuff/MaxIDE.zip
(speedy version with proper style support)

Grey Alien(Posted 2007) [#25]
xlsior: thanks for the list!

Brucey: Sounds good, I have to work on the Mac today so my first task will be to download that!

Who was John Galt?(Posted 2007) [#26]
Great to see BRL taking on Brucey's useful mods to BMK. Good stuff!

Tachyon(Posted 2007) [#27]
Thank you, Brucey! Thank you, Mark!

Tachyon(Posted 2007) [#28]
Brucey: You only posted an Intel binary. Can we get a PPC or Univeral Binary on that IDE?

Thank you!

ckob(Posted 2007) [#29]
Mark this is a test after fresh install then updating to 1.28 then sync modules I can uninstall minigw but i only have one version on here so it isn't a version issue.

marksibly(Posted 2007) [#30]

Mark this is a test after fresh install then updating to 1.28 then sync modules I can uninstall minigw but i only have one version on here so it isn't a version issue.

Fullstops please?

Did the test work?!?

Have you got the *latest* MinGW?

Id' try uninstalling MinGW anyway, and reinstalling following the instructions on module tweaks forum.

ahobbit(Posted 2007) [#31]
I can't install the 1.28 update.
I'm getting the following error message:

16 bit MS-DOS Subsystem
...\BLITZM~.EXE
The NTVDM CPU has encountered an illegal instruction.
CS:1230 IP:0134 OP:63 74 69 6f 6e Choose 'Close' to terminate the application.

System config:
CPU: Intel Core 2 Quad processor
GPU: GeForce 8800 GTX
System RAM: 2GB

marksibly(Posted 2007) [#32]

I can't install the 1.28 update.
I'm getting the following error message:

Is this when trying to run the updater?

Did the 1.26 or earlier updater work?

Mortiis(Posted 2007) [#33]
Works without a problem here, thanks Mark!

ahobbit(Posted 2007) [#34]
Is this when trying to run the updater?

Yes, this happens when trying to run the updater (BlitzMaxUpdate128_Win32_X86.exe).

Did the 1.26 or earlier updater work?

Yes, the 1.26 updater (BlitzMaxUpdate126_Win32_X86.exe) worked.

TeaVirus(Posted 2007) [#35]
The update works great for me. Only problem after the install is I needed to copy my 3rd party libs from the backup as BlitxMax/lib seems to get completely replaced.

Gabriel(Posted 2007) [#36]
I don't particularly need to upgrade so I'd rather not unless there's a compelling reason. Have there been any bug fixes in relation to errors of the kind "cannot create new instance of object a due to abstract method blah" indicating entirely the wrong method name ( and calling it a method when it's actually a function for that matter. )

Loginname(Posted 2007) [#37]
Great, everything works (what did I expect, I just have BMX + MaxGUi anyway ^^)!

remz(Posted 2007) [#38]
Status report: THANKS Mark, version 1.28 works perfectly on my Mac. I had to syncronize modules to get MaxGUI, then rebuild documentation to make maxGUI help appear.
Also, I had to 'build modules', I don't know if it's supposed to be a mandatory step after an update (building any GUI-app failed with a linker error**update** actually it doesn't fail: it's a warning: see:

/usr/bin/ld: warning suggest use of -bind_at_load, as lazy binding may result in errors or different symbols being used
symbol _atan2f used from dynamic library /usr/lib/gcc/powerpc-apple-darwin8/4.0.1/../../../libSystem.dylib(floating.o) not from earlier dynamic library /usr/lib/libmx.A.dylib(single module)
..a ton of similar msg...
Process complete

..but anyhow now everything's up and running.

About the slow file open in MaxIDE: here on my iBook G4 it takes about 3-4 min to open a large file such as MaxIDE.BMX. However, if you deactivate Syntax highlighting in IDE Options, it takes less that 1 second to open same.
So as a workaround to people who would like to keep 1.28, you can disable that. (the other workaround might be to download Brucey's version, however it is not available for PPC Macs yet)

jhans0n(Posted 2007) [#39]
From my PPC Mac when trying to rebuild all modules after running sync mod:

Building Modules
Compiling:blitz_app.c
cc1: error: invalid option 'macosx-version-min=10.3'
Build Error: failed to compile /Applications/BlitzMax/mod/brl.mod/blitz.mod/blitz_app.c
Process complete

Grey Alien(Posted 2007) [#40]
Does the PC version of 1.28 have the examples back in the help files? I haven't upgraded yet as I used 1.26 to release my current game (so it's been tested well) and I need to keep it for a little while in cases game fixes are required. But I will upgrade the Mac version ASAP to fix the graphics glitch.

REDi(Posted 2007) [#41]
Grey, yes examples are in now.

why not just rename your current Blitzmax to BlitzMax1.26 or whatever and install the new version as well? you can have more than one version going at a time.

marksibly(Posted 2007) [#42]

From my PPC Mac when trying to rebuild all modules after running sync mod:

Building Modules
Compiling:blitz_app.c
cc1: error: invalid option 'macosx-version-min=10.3'
Build Error: failed to compile /Applications/BlitzMax/mod/brl.mod/blitz.mod/blitz_app.c
Process complete

What version of OS X are you running?

jhans0n(Posted 2007) [#43]

All previous versions from 1.18 to 1.24 work fine. I skipped 1.26, but last time I tried it it worked too.

marksibly(Posted 2007) [#44]
Hi,

Ok, looks like there are a few issues with 10.4 PPC Mac version.

I can fix the 'macosx-version-10.3' issue (although I'm not sure why remz isn't having the same problem!), but I'm not sure about the linker warnings...

In the meantime, copying bmk from 1.24 or 1.26 to 1.28 should fix the 'macosx-version-10.3' thing.

Actually, this is the first time I've encountered OS X behaving significantly differently under Intel vs PowerPC with same OS.

Everyone upgrade to Intel ASAP!

Koriolis(Posted 2007) [#45]
Everyone upgrade to Intel ASAP!
"ASAP" will be in a lot of time. I bought a PPC mac mini for the sole purpose of making mac builds, I'm not going to throw it throught the window just because Apple decided that PowerPC was not that good after all. And given how the Mac market for games is mostly a casual games market, it's very unwise to assume everyone is going buy a brand new Intel MAC.
If Mac support really means something to you, I'd suggest keeping support for PPC for quite some time, even if that's a pain in the ***, and even if it means less frequent updates for the PPC version. Thanks.

ahobbit(Posted 2007) [#46]
Ok, looks like there are a few issues with 10.4 PPC Mac version.

Hey, there's evidently still a few issues with PC's and 1.28 as well! (see my earlier post in this thread).

jhans0n(Posted 2007) [#47]
Cool. Using the old BMK worked to make it compile on my PPC Mac. Thanks!

I do see the slower loading of large files that a few people have mentioned. I have one fairly big bmx file that used to take 20-30 seconds to load, and now it's about a minute. Not a deal breaker for me, but it's definitely noticeable.

I'm not sure if this helps any, but I went in and changed the font size at one point, and saw the same delay when it had to redraw everything with the new font size. This kind of supports the theory that it's something with the syntax highlighting rather than the actual loading itself.

Most importantly (to me at least), the graphics problems I saw in 1.26 do not appear to be present in this version. Woohoo!

Tachyon(Posted 2007) [#48]
I am supporting PPC & Intel for Book I. Book II will be Intel only, so just get me through this one BRL!

Actually, I've experienced no problems on the PPC build and no tester has reported any problems with the PPC beta of the game, so I am happy.

Winni(Posted 2007) [#49]
Tachyon, only PPC for Book I and Book II will be Intel only? That won't fly. If you want your game to be a success on OS X, you have to ship Universal Binaries.

Tachyon(Posted 2007) [#50]
No no, you misunderstood! I am supporting PPC & Intel with Book I, but Book II will most likely just be Intel only. It really just depends on how long it takes us to make Book II.

I updated my post above to make myself more clear.

Winni(Posted 2007) [#51]
Ahhh, ok! That's a different story, then. :-)))

marksibly(Posted 2007) [#52]
Gameboy,

16 bit MS-DOS Subsystem
...\BLITZM~.EXE
The NTVDM CPU has encountered an illegal instruction.
CS:1230 IP:0134 OP:63 74 69 6f 6e Choose 'Close' to terminate the application.

A quick google for this suggests it *may* be virus related. Have you checked your machine lately?

BMX apps (and the updater is one) are 32 bit apps so I have no idea why a '16 bit subsystem' is involved.

xlsior(Posted 2007) [#53]
Did you run the update from a command prompt, or by double-clicking on the downloaded file?

IceVAN(Posted 2007) [#54]
hi

I have mingw 5.1.13
I update blitzmax to 1.28 version, sinchronize (I have maxgui mod), build modules and all Ok.

But, I try to compile any program and a I have the next error, see bottom. If I delete maxgui.mod and win32maxgui.mod all run ok.

ERROR:

C:/Archivos de programa/BlitzMax/mod/brl.mod/win32maxgui.mod/win32maxgui.release.win32.x86.a(group.cpp.release.win32.x86.o):group.cpp:(.text+0x22): undefined reference to `std::__default_alloc_template<true, 0>::allocate(unsigned int)'
...etc...

Grisu(Posted 2007) [#55]
Does the documentation offer any example programs?
Seems like they have been gone?!?

Mark Tiffany(Posted 2007) [#56]
1.28 should have fixed example docs (fixed here). Try doing rebuild docs from the menu.

ahobbit(Posted 2007) [#57]
A quick google for this suggests it *may* be virus related. Have you checked your machine lately?

@Mark: My machine checks out fine (no viruses). I don't know if this problem is a Vista thing - the previous 1.26 installer worked fine under Vista. I tried setting the properties for the 1.28 installer .exe to run as an Administrator under Windows XP compatibility mode, but this produces the same error message.

Did you significantly change how the setup operates?

Has anyone else run the 1.28 installer under Windows Vista?

marksibly(Posted 2007) [#58]

Did you significantly change how the setup operates?

No.

Yes, myself included.

Will investigate further...

ahobbit(Posted 2007) [#59]
@Mark: Did you have to run the installer under Windows XP compatibility mode for it to work?

Have you installed it using an Intel Quad processor?

marksibly(Posted 2007) [#60]

@Mark: Did you have to run the installer under Windows XP compatibility mode for it to work?

No - although I do run as administrator at all times.

Have you installed it using an Intel Quad processor?

Only on XP.

GfK(Posted 2007) [#61]
Slightly late to the party, but I installed the 1.28 update on my Vista PC this morning and it went without a hitch.

Don't know if it makes any difference but I'm on Vista Home Premium.

Gabriel(Posted 2007) [#62]
Is it the installer or the uninstaller which completely wipes out the lib folder? Would be kinda nice if it didn't do that, since it's a place for important files.

marksibly(Posted 2007) [#63]

Is it the installer or the uninstaller which completely wipes out the lib folder?

The installer. The lib dir can be found in the 'backupXYZ' dir, but you're right, it shouldn't wipe lib. Will fix for next release.

Gabriel(Posted 2007) [#64]
Aha, thanks. That's saved me searching through all my backup folders to find the libs.

marksibly(Posted 2007) [#65]

I have mingw 5.1.13
I update blitzmax to 1.28 version, sinchronize (I have maxgui mod), build modules and all Ok.

But, I try to compile any program and a I have the next error, see bottom. If I delete maxgui.mod and win32maxgui.mod all run ok.

ERROR:

C:/Archivos de programa/BlitzMax/mod/brl.mod/win32maxgui.mod/win32maxgui.release.win32.x86.a(group.cpp.release.win32.x86.o):group.cpp:(.text+0x22): undefined reference to `std::__default_alloc_template<true, 0>::allocate(unsigned int)'
...etc...

This is a MingW conflict of some kind.

Sure you've only got one MinGW installed?

Did you restore an old lib directory from an update backup dir?

Leon Drake(Posted 2007) [#66]
i'm too scared to go past mingw 3.1.0-1 seems like when i use higher version rebuilding mods crashes on me. although i havent tried the "latest" version.

ahobbit(Posted 2007) [#67]
OK, I downloaded the 1.28 installer again, and it now runs without problems. Something must have gone wrong on my initial download. Problem solved. =)

IceVAN(Posted 2007) [#68]
Hi Mark

I unistall and reinstall mingw and now all run ok. Thanks for your answer!

bye!

marksibly(Posted 2007) [#69]

OK, I downloaded the 1.28 installer again, and it now runs without problems. Something must have gone wrong on my initial download. Problem solved. =)

Shoulda been the first thing I suggested!

I unistall and reinstall mingw and now all run ok. Thanks for your answer!

Woohoo!

Robert Cummings(Posted 2007) [#70]
.doc was the only format that appeared to open properly on all platforms regardless of EOL convention.

But we'll get user complaints either way, so I probably should have just left it .txt...

.html will open and view the same on all machines bmax is targetted at, try that?

simonh(Posted 2007) [#71]
html is somewhat 'temperamental' on Linux judging by the help pages!

Dreamora(Posted 2007) [#72]
.rtf (wordpad can create them on windows) is normally the least problematic format and opens in the native text editor on all 3 platforms.
and it supports platform independent EOL handling (or better the editor just reinterprets it in the platform standard way)

Brucey(Posted 2007) [#73]
judging by the help pages

Yeah, the default IDE using FLTK doesn't like HTML :-)

Josepho(Posted 2007) [#74]
1.28 runned in windows vista home basic

Runs perfect to me :P

degac(Posted 2007) [#75]
Thanks!
Installed with no problem.

Banshee(Posted 2008) [#76]
Is there a difinitive guide to setting up MinGW on Vista? I'm setting up a new machine with Vista Home Premium and am struggling to get BMax 1.28 to compile.

I'm using MinGW 5.1.3 and have copied cc1 to the MinGW\bin folder.

I have the following path ammendment
C:\MinGW\Bin;C:\MinGW\lib\gcc-lib\mingw32\3.4.5

I have the following environmental variables
GCC_EXEC_PREFIX = c:\MinGW
MINGW = c:\MinGW

I modified permissions on the BlitzMax folder to give full control to the logged in user.

When I rebuild all modules I get a number of successful compiles until...

Compiling:freeaudio.cpp
ar: creating C:/Program Files/BlitzMax/mod/brl.mod/fltkmaxgui.mod/fltkmaxgui.debug.win32.x86.a
Build Error: failed to compile C:/Program Files/BlitzMax/mod/pub.mod/freeaudio.mod/freeaudio.cpp
Process complete

Help please ! :D

Volker(Posted 2008) [#77]
I had the same problem with 5.1.3. If I remember correctly it was something with the selection at the start of MingW-Installation.

What did you select while installing mingw?
G++ Option has to be enabled.
May be you want to install everything.

And have a look at;
http://blitzbasic.com/Community/posts.php?topic=72891#814862

/Quote Abrexxes
ahhh damn.....

sorry, i have from the last update only installed C support for mingw (for NintendoDS), now with g++ also the c++ file of freeaudio works fine. XD
/Quote

xlsior(Posted 2008) [#78]
Is there a difinitive guide to setting up MinGW on Vista? I'm setting up a new machine with Vista Home Premium and am struggling to get BMax 1.28 to compile.

IIRC, you also need to copy ar.exe and ld.exe from your minGW\bin folder to your blitzmax\bin folder, overwriting the ones already there. (This appears to have been an oversight of the installer -- it still bundled the versions belonging to the old MinGW version, and you can't mix/match them, or you'll be running into all kinds of version conflicts.

JoJo(Posted 2008) [#79]
There is a step by step guide on the BLide forum. I got it working on the first try after reading this.

http://ziggybcn.proboards31.com/index.cgi?board=publisher&action=display&thread=1199705748

Grisu(Posted 2008) [#80]
Is it possible to tell the installer not to backup the previous bmx installation?

matt!(Posted 2008) [#81]
Sorry, late to the game I know...

Getting this error:

Building Modules
Compiling:cocoa.macos.m
/Applications/BlitzMax/mod/brl.mod/cocoamaxgui.mod/cocoa.macos.m:6:28: WebKit/WebView.h: No such file or directory
/Applications/BlitzMax/mod/brl.mod/cocoamaxgui.mod/cocoa.macos.m:7:30: WebKit/WebFrame.h: No such file or directory
/Applications/BlitzMax/mod/brl.mod/cocoamaxgui.mod/cocoa.macos.m:8:38: WebKit/WebPolicyDelegate.h: No such file or directory
/Applications/BlitzMax/mod/brl.mod/cocoamaxgui.mod/cocoa.macos.m:9:41: WebKit/WebFrameLoadDelegate.h: No such file or directory
/Applications/BlitzMax/mod/brl.mod/cocoamaxgui.mod/cocoa.macos.m:10:34: WebKit/WebDataSource.h: No such file or directory
/Applications/BlitzMax/mod/brl.mod/cocoamaxgui.mod/cocoa.macos.m:401: error: cannot find interface declaration for `WebView', superclass of `HTMLView'
Build Error: failed to compile /Applications/BlitzMax/mod/brl.mod/cocoamaxgui.mod/cocoa.macos.m
Process complete

Htbaa(Posted 2008) [#82]
Works fine under Ubuntu 7.10. Just bought it and I love it!

But how come the documentation renders so poorly under Linux? Opening page is aligned to the right and stuff is just missing. Anything I'm doing wrong?

Rozek(Posted 2008) [#83]
Hello!

I have the same problem as msephton (i.e. missing files in the distribution for MacOSX). Is there any solution to the problem?

Thanks in advance for any help!