Can one make photoshop plugins with bmax?

BlitzMax Forums/BlitzMax Programming/Can one make photoshop plugins with bmax?

CS_TBL(Posted 2007) [#1]
Title ^ :P

If yes: how? And I mean with native code, e.g. I get a buncha data from photoshop (image/layer content), and I can do whatever I want with 'em, and return my own data.

Dreamora(Posted 2007) [#2]
No

BM does not officially support DLL creation and the unofficial support for it tends to bomb out the DLL itself when the GC interfers with stuff from the "outer world"

Ked(Posted 2007) [#3]
Photoshop plugins aren't DLL are they? I thought they were: 8bf or 8be or 8li etc.

Dreamora(Posted 2007) [#4]
In that case you couldn't do them at all, if they are no CDECL DLLs.

But as PS can link them in dynamically and calls them, I for some reason automatically assumed that it must be DLLs.

xlsior(Posted 2007) [#5]
Photoshop plugins aren't DLL are they? I thought they were: 8bf or 8be or 8li etc.

IIRC, they are DLL's renamed to .8bf

(Just like a windows screen saver is an .EXE renamed to .SCR, with a few extra requirement such as some command line parameters is needs to support)

If you view the binary code of a photoshop plugin you'll see that they all start with 'MZ', just like any other EXE or DLL file. Now, if it were possible to create a photoshop filter through Bmax, I'd definitely be interested in finding out how. :-?

Dreamora(Posted 2007) [#6]
By using the bmx through command line and a few extra steps that are needed to make BM compile a DLL instead of an EXE ... but the GC right now still has some stability issues depending on what you do with the stuff in the DLL etc

popcade(Posted 2007) [#7]
Yep... PS plugins are DLLs renamed to 8bf, you can request a free SDK or try some commercial generator via the list.

http://www.thepluginsite.com/knowhow/plugincreation.htm

I remember it's possible to do this with MinGW at least in PhotoShop CS, but is troublesome and I don't have any intention to try again.