Mac Graphic Glitches

BlitzMax Forums/BlitzMax Programming/Mac Graphic Glitches

Tachyon(Posted 2007) [#1]
I am doing Mac beta testing this week and have had no problems until this...

Notice the text is garbled, and some of the ground tiles are lacking color. This is 2D tiles, not MiniB3D or anything. The guy who sent this to me is running this on IntelMac with OSX 10.5. He says another computer in his house does the same thing.

So, I have eight Macs that are running it just fine, and his two Macs that are not. Has anyone seen anything like this before, or suggestions on how to fix it?

impixi(Posted 2007) [#2]
Has anyone seen anything like this before, or suggestions on how to fix it?

No, but if you need another tester, I'm running a MacBook Pro (intel core2 duo, 256mb Nvidia 8600M GT chipset) with OSX 10.5.1 (Leopard, latest patches) installed. I'll help if I can. E-mail in my profile.

Possibly it could be related to his graphics chipset. The cheaper intel macs utilised older intel chipsets that might have a problem with some opengl operations.

LarsG(Posted 2007) [#3]
.. and I've got an iMac G5 running 10.5, incase you want to test it on a PPC processor.. :)

jhans0n(Posted 2007) [#4]
I've seen results like that when compiling with 1.26, and then switching from windowed mode to full screen (or vice versa). This is on an old G4 Mac Mini.

Tachyon(Posted 2007) [#5]
He's running an ATI chipset. I've seen similar issues with Windows users who have set their ATI cards on "extreme performance", and it is fixed by dropping back down to "high performance". Unfortunately, Macs don't have that option and he can't change the performance factor of the video - unless someone here knows how to do it.

Also, we have successfully tested it on a large array of Macs- PPC and Intel, 10.3.9 up to 10.5.1. All seem OK except for his two Macs. ???

tonyg(Posted 2007) [#6]
I got something similar to that on my Windows until I updated my OGL drivers. I know nothing about Macs but could that be why his machines are affected?

Grey Alien(Posted 2007) [#7]
This is because there is a problem in V1.26 for Mac OSX which is fixed in the, as yet unreleased, V1.28. I desperately waiting for this too as I'm about to release my latest game on Mac in a couple of weeks. This happens in my AOTMG demo and my Holiday Bonus game too. http://www.blitzbasic.com/Community/posts.php?topic=73682 (check out the screwed up screenshots further down)

LarsG(Posted 2007) [#8]
According to Mark, the 1.28 version will be released before end of this week.

Tachyon(Posted 2007) [#9]
Ah, thanks Grey!!! Now I can stop stressing about this.

Grey Alien(Posted 2007) [#10]
LarsG: Great! Where di you read that?

LarsG(Posted 2007) [#11]
Grey:
http://www.blitzbasic.com/Community/posts.php?topic=74215#828980

Grey Alien(Posted 2007) [#12]
Thanks LarsG

Tachyon(Posted 2007) [#13]
Seems there are a lot of people waiting on this 1.28 release then- my Mac beta is on hold until I can update.

tonyg(Posted 2007) [#14]
@Tachyon, email Mark just in case there are any delays. You never know, you might be eligible for a special shipment.

Winni(Posted 2007) [#15]
Tachyon,

I've bought a Win license of your wonderful game, but actually play it on an Intel Mac.

If you want to, I can test the Mac builld on some of those machines for you:

17" PowerBook G4, 1.67GHz, 2GB RAM, 128 MB ATI Graphics, OS X 10.5.1

20" iMac Core Duo, 2GHZ, 256MB ATI X1600, OS X 10.5.1

17" iMac G4, 1GHZ, 1GB RAM, 64MB Nvidia Graphics, OS X 10.5.1

12" iMac G4, 1GHz, 768 MB RAM, 64MB Nvidia Graphics, OS X 10.4.11

Just let me know.

Tachyon(Posted 2007) [#16]
Winni: Yes, after the 1.28 update is out, please send me an email and I'll give you a link to the full Mac version. You can give it a bit of play and tell me how it works on your machines.

jhans0n(Posted 2007) [#17]
Or if you get sick of waiting for the update that is perpetually being released "by the end of this week", you could drop back to 1.24, where the graphics still work correctly.

tonyg(Posted 2007) [#18]
... if you have a level that is syncmodded as 1.24 can't be synced any more either.

jhans0n(Posted 2007) [#19]
Oh, did BRL break that too? Color me shocked.

tonyg(Posted 2007) [#20]
'fraid so. It's a bit like "There's a hole in my bucket" in the bug forums at the moment.

JazzieB(Posted 2007) [#21]
There is a fix for this issue that I am currently using, which was mentioned in the original bug thread (which has now been moved to the bug bin). If anyone is interested and can't wait any longer for 1.28, then try the fix mentioned about half way down this...

http://www.blitzbasic.com/Community/posts.php?topic=72901

Grey Alien(Posted 2007) [#22]
Yep that's been my plan for about ooh a month now.

Tachyon(Posted 2007) [#23]
Mark: This is really holding me up! Any word on when you will have 1.28 available?

Secondly, have you ever thought about offering Blitz "Premium Accounts" for people who depend on BRL products for our own business could pay a small subscription fee to have access to betas and priority support on these issues?

popcade(Posted 2007) [#24]
Maybe around Xmas, it's nothing uncommon to have delay on program's release date.

MrTAToad(Posted 2007) [#25]
In that case, Marks time-frames need adjusting...

Snixx(Posted 2007) [#26]
how do you draw your tilemap? must be something different between that and your other "tiles" such as the trees and walls etc... just trying to cut the problem down to some area

edit: noticed your fonts are a big iffy also, erm im guessing the font and tilemap for the land are in one animimage each? or similar... unless you grouped other items into animimages also then that kind throws my idea out the window

Tachyon(Posted 2007) [#27]
Nope, the fonts are fonts, not images. The ground tiles are on a separate sheet from trees/walls/objects.

Regardless, this is a confirmed 1.26 MacOS problem.

popcade(Posted 2007) [#28]
I'm not make joke on Mark/BRL etc, I jut feel it's unrealistic to set a firm release date especially many things need to be fixed, we shouldn't push him.

At least it means the rendering part is still being improved, just wait.

MrTAToad(Posted 2007) [#29]
I didn't think that many things needed fixing (MaxGUI maybe, but not Max) :)

Trouble is, until 1.28 is out, I have to do all my coding on a Windows machine, which is rather annoying.

BlackSp1der(Posted 2007) [#30]
I had problems with Intel-Macs with GMA video chipsets, but I was able to fix it (some problems with textured polys)