Is this a valid way to create an array?

BlitzMax Forums/BlitzMax Programming/Is this a valid way to create an array?

Grey Alien(Posted 2007) [#1]
Strict

Local atest:Float[,,]

atest=New Float[3,4,5]

Graphics 400,300,0
While Not KeyHit(key_escape)
	Cls
	DrawText atest[2,3,4],0,0
	Flip
Wend

I saw it in someone else's code but I didn't think you could create a multi-dimensional array like that, but I could be wrong because it seems to work...

I thought you had to initialise each element in a loop or it wouldn't work.

Derron(Posted 2007) [#2]
I think you should only initialise elements not based on basics (string,int,float...).

They get basic values (int = 0, float = 0.00... string = "") so no need to init them. Own types have a NULL so they need it.

If they don't get initialised some variables may contain garbage but valid for their borders (language dictionary for bytes,ints,doubles,...).

bye
MB

Who was John Galt?(Posted 2007) [#3]
No - I think this is OK. Hey if it works, right? The thing with initialising in loops is when people are doing C-ish arrays of array pointers, rather than the multi-dimensional array you have here.

CS_TBL(Posted 2007) [#4]
initialize: afaik this is only true for custom objects, not for int/float/double/byte/string/etc. as they're built-in objects.

As for the rest: I'd say, just do it, and if bmax complains then it's not legal to do so.., simple enough :P

edit: well then, 3 reactions in 2 minutes stating the same.. ^_^
edit2: 4 reactions in 3 minutes stating the same.. ^_^

Brucey(Posted 2007) [#5]
I could be wrong because it seems to work

It works, but dreamora says it is very slow, and that your code will be quicker if you set each field individually.

I have not benchmarked this myself tho.

Grey Alien(Posted 2007) [#6]
OK thanks all. For some reason one of my framework customers is getting a "list index out of bounds" on that array code in one of their projects - ah just spotted the bug (in his code which is different from that above) I think!

Dreamora(Posted 2007) [#7]
Brucey: In that case it won't be slow. Its a different thing to what you refer to (initializing an array with actual values like int arr[] = [1,2,3] which is slow as this internally fires slicing from what it seems and from its speed I would say three times ...). What above does is initialize a 3 dimensional array. The only way to do it dynamically and normally no problem. (beside the fact that [][][] would be sliceable while above isn't)

GA: Whats the bug?
Did he/she try to access the array Blitz3D like? ie 0-number of elements? Although the error somehow looks more like an array -> TList -> indexed access error if it is bound to an array

Grey Alien(Posted 2007) [#8]
The bug was that they were calling the DRAW command before the initialisation and I only just noticed!

TaskMaster(Posted 2007) [#9]
Hey Grey, if I buy your framework, you will debug all of my code for me? Cool! ;)

Grey Alien(Posted 2007) [#10]
http://www.greyaliengames.com/framework/faq.html#support

including:

I cannot answer general programming questions not related to the framework, sorry. Use the Blitz forums for that, they are brilliant!

However, I'm nice so sometimes I help where I shouldn't ;-)