BMax acting odd since reinstall

BlitzMax Forums/BlitzMax Programming/BMax acting odd since reinstall

Chroma(Posted 2007) [#1]
Ok I uninstalled, deleted the BMax folder and reinstalled BMax 1.18. I then installed version 1.26. I did a sync mods and I'm ready to roll.

Now for the weird stuff. When I compile an app, a dos windown pops up for each include or import I have in my app. It never did that before. I have the Build Options set to Quick Build and Build GUI App.

Any ideas?

Chroma(Posted 2007) [#2]

Chroma(Posted 2007) [#3]
Warning: Do NOT do a rebuild all with Brucey's bmk.exe. No...not recommended at all.

And also, after you build the Chipmunk module, I'd switch your bmk.exe back to the original.

grable(Posted 2007) [#4]
Hmm.. ive done that countless times, without any trouble.

Gabriel(Posted 2007) [#5]
So have I.

Chroma(Posted 2007) [#6]
Well all I get here is the problems described above. I found a work around by doing a Build All with the orginal bmk.exe, then building chipmunk with brucey's bmk then switching back again to the original bmk after. Chipmunk works correctly so all is well now.

Dreamora(Posted 2007) [#7]
Uneducated guess: You are user number <add a very high number here> using BM 1.26 with
1. Either oudated mingw (the one from 1.24)
2. Using the current MingW (5.1.X) but forgot to replace the ar.exe and ld.exe in the blitzmax/bin folder through those from the current MingW (for some stupid to very stupid reason, BM comes with the tools from MingW 3.1 -> rebuild all and you are doomed)

Chroma(Posted 2007) [#8]
I'm using MinGW 5.1.X with windows XP so according to the install instructions from Mark, I don't have to put any files into the blitzmax/bin folder AFAIK.

Roger(Posted 2007) [#9]
Chroma,

I think when Dreamora said the high number thing he was referring to that alot of people had made the mistake he was about to mention, rather than any BUID pecking order. Certainly no attack on you personally.

ar and ld from blitmax/bin do indeed need to be replaced by their mingw equivalents from 5.1.X if you are rebuilding modules.

Dreamora(Posted 2007) [#10]
Yeah according to Marks install instruction you don't need to
According to "MaxGUI" bombs out thought, you better would do it :-)

And Roger is right. It was no personal attack. You are just another user getting tricked by BRLs 1.26 distribution which:

1. Distributes MingW 3.1 builds
2. Distributes MingW 3.1 linker tools
3. Mentions MingW 5.1.X compatibility
4. Mentions not that the whole stuff will just crash and enforce a reinstall if you didn't replace the ar.exe and ld.exe with the MingW 5.1.X equivalents before rebuilding modules. Because the 3.1 linker will not work with 5.1 object and library files which you generate during rebuild from math and system mod etc.

Chroma(Posted 2007) [#11]
Apologies.

Ok I'll put the two files into the folder as you specified and report back.

EDIT: Seems ok now. I haven't tried a Rebuild All with brucey's bmk though. Too scared. =p

Sledge(Posted 2007) [#12]
I updated to 1.26 just the other day on XP and used the compact MinGW installer without any extra faffing.

Brucey(Posted 2007) [#13]
Too scared. =p

Chicken! ;-)

The tweaked BMK works the same as the official one. Except that it also understands specific instructions when building modules, like CC_OPTS and LD_OPTS. If those aren't present, it should be as if you were using the original BMK.

I think your problem mainly concerned the ld/ar exe issue, which something like rebuilding everything is likely to highlight.

Fingers crossed (and thumbs held) for 1.28 when it arrives :-)