Mark has fixed the sound bugs!

BlitzMax Forums/BlitzMax Programming/Mark has fixed the sound bugs!

Grey Alien(Posted 2007) [#1]
Yay, it seems that Mark has resolved the Direct Sound and OpenAL sound issues that I was posting about recently. He sent me some new modules and my test code ran perfectly.

Big thanks to Mark! And all the people that helped me test and get to the bottom of the issues. The result of this is that we now have two stable viable alternatives to FreeAudio that can be used in Vista and 98/Me :-)

popcade(Posted 2007) [#2]
Maybe it's better to use DSound as Default driver for Windows, and FreeAudio for Linux/OSX?

If BRL can get the streaming done, should get even better.

big10p(Posted 2007) [#3]
This has been tested on 98? *evil grin*

CS_TBL(Posted 2007) [#4]
GA: this was the issue I spotted during Holiday Bonus?

Grey Alien(Posted 2007) [#5]
big10p: Ummmm, no. Tested in Me which is the nearest I can get. I can always make some test apps if you are prepared to run them and report back.

CS_TBL: That was simply an issue using FreeAudio and have the oggs break up. Remind me, that was on your 98se PC right? Not your XP PC?

The idea is that I wouldn't use FreeAudio in 98/Me or Vista as it breaks up/lags and I would use OpenAL or DirectSound instead but both of those had issues (until now). So I guess the thing to do is have my AOTMG demo auto wtich depending on OS and then get people to test it. I'm also planning on updating Holiday Bonus to do the same so maybe I can send it to you CS_TBL?

CS_TBL(Posted 2007) [#6]
Send me whatever there is to send...

And yes, back then it was my 98SE PC. Still have the same config ofcoz: music (and since Blide: BMax) on the XP machine, trash/internet/mail/crap/games/stuff on the junkyard :P

Grey Alien(Posted 2007) [#7]
OK I'll be in contact when I have a test version of AOTMG with the fixed sound drivers and you (and maybe big10p) can test it in 98. I'll also sort out Holiday Bonus and you can try that out again and see if it's improved. thanks!

Qube(Posted 2007) [#8]
Sounds good :) - So where do I get my hands on the new modules? - I've tried a syncmods but nothing new arrives :/

Grey Alien(Posted 2007) [#9]
hohoho, what's it worth sonny? ;-) Nah, I expect they'll be out in V1.28 any day now...

Qube(Posted 2007) [#10]
lol, I can just about wait for a couple of days without heading into total freakout ;)

Does this mean we can set the audio driver to DirectSound and it'll be ok for 98 upwards to Vista? - Or is it still recommended that OpenAL be used on Vista?