Leopard issues

BlitzMax Forums/BlitzMax Programming/Leopard issues

Winni(Posted 2007) [#1]
Anybody else experiencing problems with graphics on OS X Leopard?

For example, Oddball's PhysLite Example 01 and Grey Alien's "Attack Of The Mutant Greys" sample show scrambled fonts and some wrong colours.

DavidDC(Posted 2007) [#2]
I'm currently struggling rebuilding all mods in Leopard. How did you go? Did you have to modify freeprocess.c, converting setpgrp to setpgid as I did to get it to compile?

- David

Dreamora(Posted 2007) [#3]
Oh please don't tell me Apple did it again and broke their damned OS a 3rd time within the X series ... please don't ...

*they are worse than pingu land with their multi kernel version universe*

Winni(Posted 2007) [#4]
Well, Microsoft's been breaking their "damned OS" with every new release and usually even with every new Service Pack. The only software vendor that I know who once has had a good reputation for maintaining compatibility is IBM.

By the way, so far I have only found one application that is really broken on Leopard: iCalamus.

Anyway. I'm currently trying to rebuild the mods, and BlitzMax now tells me that cocoa.macos.m, belonging to MaxGUI, won't compile.

Russell(Posted 2007) [#5]
When Win95 was released, most people understood that some things would have to change in the OS (mostly for the better) since 3.11 and earlier were essentially just front ends for the ancient Dos (Funny thing is, the Amiga's Intuition is a front end on AmigaDos, but that didn't seem to be a problem... I wonder why MS never made MSDos with a flat memory model, 32 bits, <true>multi-tasking and so on years before and then built a front end on that?).

But since then, they've been either scrambling to fix old shortcomings in old OSes or add some new GeeWiz feature that requires you to upgrade to the next. Hey, they have to stay in business somehow, right? ;)

Russell

DavidDC(Posted 2007) [#6]
After some small changes as listed here all seems to be well now.

- David

marksibly(Posted 2007) [#7]
Hi,

Installing right now!

ImaginaryHuman(Posted 2007) [#8]
I too am curious to know if BlitzMax is going to compile and run correctly under leapard. I went to an apple store here for the `grand reveal` of Leopard. Got a free t-shirt and played with the o/s for a while. Very nice. Looking towards your report, Mr Sib.

Winni(Posted 2007) [#9]
Thanks, Gibbon Games, with your changes, I can now rebuild the modules.

Still, the problems with the fonts in PhysLite remain.

And, Mark, the download of the PPC version of BlitzMax 1.26 still does not work.

marksibly(Posted 2007) [#10]
Hi,

Ok, got it all working.

Anyone got any links to the 'problem' apps?

It may be that the Leopard GL drivers will take a while to mature - some 'raw' GL code that used to work fine for me here is now not going even though it works fine on PPC/Win32/Linux.

BlackSp1der(Posted 2007) [#11]
My game runs fine, only a message in the console when I compile it, but it works fine.

2007-10-28 11:02:47.756 myapp.debug[1190:717] Message sent to an NSImage that was alloc'ed but not yet initialized! Break on -[NSImage _failsafeAllocAuxiliaryStorage] to debug. This will be logged only once.

MrTAToad(Posted 2007) [#12]
I get the following when trying to rebuild all the modules :

In file included from /Applications/Blitz Basic/mod/axe.mod/portaudio.mod/portaudio_v18_1/pa_mac_core/pa_mac_core.c:124:
/Applications/Blitz Basic/mod/axe.mod/portaudio.mod/portaudio_v18_1/pa_common/pa_host.h:55: error: conflicting types for 'uint32'
/System/Library/Frameworks/Security.framework/Headers/cssmconfig.h:64: error: previous declaration of 'uint32' was here
Build Error: failed to compile /Applications/Blitz Basic/mod/axe.mod/portaudio.mod/portaudio_v18_1/pa_mac_core/pa_mac_core.c
Process complete

marksibly(Posted 2007) [#13]
Hi,

In file included from /Applications/Blitz Basic/mod/axe.mod/portaudio.mod/portaudio_v18_1/pa_mac_core/pa_mac_core.c:124:
/Applications/Blitz Basic/mod/axe.mod/portaudio.mod/portaudio_v18_1/pa_common/pa_host.h:55: error: conflicting types for 'uint32'
/System/Library/Frameworks/Security.framework/Headers/cssmconfig.h:64: error: previous declaration of 'uint32' was here
Build Error: failed to compile /Applications/Blitz Basic/mod/axe.mod/portaudio.mod/portaudio_v18_1/pa_mac_core/pa_mac_core.c

You'll have to get in touch with skidracer.

Grey Alien(Posted 2007) [#14]
Mark: Apparently this is one of the "problem apps":

http://www.greyaliengames.com/aotmg/AOTMGV044IntelMac.zip

This was compiled a while back with BMax V1.24 + some syncmods.

Winni(Posted 2007) [#15]
Mark, the 1.26 PPC download is still broken, even though I now get the full 6.4 MB ZIP file. (I'm posting this here because I have the feeling that the chances of somebody reading it are higher in this thread.)

SebHoll(Posted 2007) [#16]
Mark, the 1.26 PPC download is still broken, even though I now get the full 6.4 MB ZIP file. (I'm posting this here because I have the feeling that the chances of somebody reading it are higher in this thread.)

Although this was broken for me to, I've tried again just this second and the archive downloads and opens fine!

marksibly(Posted 2007) [#17]

Mark: Apparently this is one of the "problem apps":

This works perfectly here - very slick! What exactly should I be looking for though?

As for the 1.26PPC update, apologies for this but we've had a few site HD problems lately. Good news is there should be a 1.28 update available very soon (today hopefully), so I'll probably just wait until that's ready to go and do X86/PPC in one hit.

Winni(Posted 2007) [#18]
Thanks, Mark, that sounds good. :)

Diordna(Posted 2007) [#19]
While Mark is in here, I'd like to ask this: Are there any plans to incorporate Brucey's MaxGUI fixes into the official package?

Grey Alien(Posted 2007) [#20]
1.28 soon hey, sounds great. Will this address the Mac graphical issues when switching from full-screen to windowed mode?

This works perfectly here - very slick!
Thanks, praise from the top! :-)

What exactly should I be looking for though?

Well according to the top post by Winni you should see "scrambled fonts and some wrong colours."

Winni, did you run that exe that Mark downloaded or did you compile it yourself with V1.26 (which has graphical issues on Mac)?

Winni(Posted 2007) [#21]
After rebuilding all modules (including the fixes posted in some other threads) and compiling your samples again, they both run fine.

The PhysLite sample, which I cannot post here because of license restrictions, still shows the scrambled fonts and wrong colors, though.

I still cannot unzip the PPC 1.26 update, both my G4 and my Intel Mac report "decompression failed".

Grey Alien(Posted 2007) [#22]
Thanks for the update.

One of the V1.26 Mac graphics issues has been moved to the bug bin with MArk saying it's hopefully fixed in 1.28 so I'll wait and see how that turns out. Looking forward to V1.28!