Sound problem on Vista Enterprise Edition

BlitzMax Forums/BlitzMax Programming/Sound problem on Vista Enterprise Edition

Tachyon(Posted 2007) [#1]
I have a beta tester who is not getting any sound, and he is playing the game on Vista Enterprise Edition. Another tester with Vista Home Premium gets sound just fine.

My game defaults to OpenAL when Vista is detected. Has anyone else experienced problems with OpenAL sound on Vista Enterprise?

dmaz(Posted 2007) [#2]
I couldn't get FreeAudio, DirectSound or OpenAL to work correctly all the time on my vista x64 box. I went with fmod which so far seems to work perfect and I haven't had any complaints. Also, my box seemed to work just fine with the -limited- testing I did with some Bass tests that were going around. Currently I'm going to stick with Fmod. I like it better so far and it has a little more support. I think those two are your best choices.

Both are free for use for created freeware
Fmod is $100 per shareware title
Bass is €100 ($143) for unlimited shareware titles

Grey Alien(Posted 2007) [#3]
My game defaults to OpenAL as well in Vista as FreeAudio has lag and Direct Sound seemed crackly. However, I may change to DirectSound as it seems it may be more reliable than OpenAL.

Really I'd love to swap to FMOD if BMax has some sort of native support for it...

Winni(Posted 2007) [#4]
Tachyon, unless you are writing an "enterprise" application, you can safely ignore Vista Enterprise Edition. The only people who are using it are sitting in a huge office and will not be allowed to run games or anything else on it that has not been approved by their IT department. You can only get a version of Vista Enterprise through a Microsoft Software Assurance contract; and that is something home users just cannot buy.

However, there's a multitude of reasons why that user is not getting any sound.

1. Does he even have a sound card installed?

2. Is that sound card working in any other application?

3. Does he have multiple sound output and is Vista using the right output?

4. Is your app using the right output?

5. Is the user even allowed to use sound? (Group policies?)

6. Does the application have sufficient privileges to run on that system? (Vista Enterprise probably is even more restrictive than the other Vista versions.)

7. Is he running the app in an VM that runs Vista? If so, he probably won't get any sound at all in Vista Enterprise. There's a lot on the web about Vista Enterprise sound problems when it's running in a VM.

Just a few thoughts. But anyway, I would ignore the Vista Enterprise Edition unless you have a business critical reason to support it.

Tachyon(Posted 2007) [#5]
Thanks for the feedback, guys.

Here seems to be the problem: I default for OpenAL when Vista is detected, but apparently he doesn't have OpenAL on his system. I sent him this test program I made:

http://basiliskgames.com/misc/soundtest.exe

When I poll AudioDrivers(), he does not see any OpenAL drivers at all. I thought OpenAL was automatically included with Vista? If it is not, then it is not very wise to default to OpenAL on Vista. :(