FAO: TonyG re: CE

BlitzMax Forums/BlitzMax Programming/FAO: TonyG re: CE

Grey Alien(Posted 2007) [#1]
So TonyG, how is this Community Edition (sounds weird, maybe it needs a different name) going to work? Perhaps I should purchase a domain and give out logon details to a few "keyholders" like you and me and anyone else you deem suitable, and we can put any finalised code from relevent discussion threads here on that site, so basically it can host the main download. Or did you have some other method in mind?

tonyg(Posted 2007) [#2]
Definately needs a different name.
As far as I got was a thread with code nominations and function requests. Seperate posts would be opened for the requests either proposing a solution taken from existing topics for discussion or for more general help and a link added to the 'request' post. If an alternative is suggested then it should be backed-up with reasons for it being a better solution (timings, compatability, simpler etc) rather than simply saying it exists.
Once the solution has been finalised it would be added to a module or include held within a post.

Grey Alien(Posted 2007) [#3]
Yeah I saw that thread but it could drop off the radar unless it gets made sticky (mod request?) or we make a site for the main module and maintain a list of active threads OR simply point to the thread you started so that it can be "exhumed" whenever someone has a new request or whatever, and if you ever make a new "clean" thread we can simply update the link on the site, and archive the old link (or the whole page in case of Blitz.com meltdown).

Then we can encourage people to add it to their sig links, and maybe get a sticy post or mention on the main page or something.

Whatever, it would have to be simple as I personally don't have time to invest in anything complex but I'm happy to help out by getting a domain or whatever...

tonyg(Posted 2007) [#4]
If the thread gets no activity and drops off the radar then, I guess, nobody is that interested.
To be honest I'm in my quarterly 'miffed with BRL' cycle at the moment so haven't really got the urge to do too much with their products at the moment. This was a bit of a push to get myself going again but there are a few alternatives made available recently which I'm checking out.

Grey Alien(Posted 2007) [#5]
OK I'd hold fire then. I've invested a lot of time in BMax and although it may not be perfect, I've got all the tools I need to make commercial games for a few years more yet.

MGE(Posted 2007) [#6]
Agree with both of you. Too much time, too little return. Better to just post code in the code box or on the forum, and then once every few months someone takes the best of it and organizes it into one post or collection of functions, etc, and then posts it somewhere. ;)