MinGW

BlitzMax Forums/BlitzMax Programming/MinGW

H&K(Posted 2007) [#1]
1 ) What benifit would I get from moving to a newer MinGW (5.x I assume)?
2 ) Apart from MaxGui, what else would be crippled?
3 ) Is the next update going to be 5.x built anyway, if so should I just wait?
4 ) When ppl say things like "5.x" has optimisation for P3, does that mean that it builds faster? or that the code would be faster on a Piii?

N(Posted 2007) [#2]
1) With BlitzMax, not much aside from improved compile times, as it will still use its own version of the runtime.
2) Depends on what else can be crippled.
3) I haven't seen any signs of BRL updating their MinGW build, as they acknowledged long ago that they ought to but never changed a thing.
4) You'd have to ask them, because apparently some people don't like to explain what they mean.
5) The goggles, they do nothing.

Gabriel(Posted 2007) [#3]
2) No, just MaxGUI.

ziggy(Posted 2007) [#4]
1 ) What benifit would I get from moving to a newer MinGW (5.x I assume)?

Improved rounding on maths, and a little improvement on calculations using, after a full medules rebuild. But remember this is not officialy suported

Dreamora(Posted 2007) [#5]
"little improvement" is quite nice told to what happens if you change BMK as well to compile for P3 level cpu (SSE2) instead of Pentium 1 which BM does ...

The difference is more than only a few percents.

ziggy(Posted 2007) [#6]
Yes I forgot to mention that one, but remember all this modifications are not officialy suported, so if then anything stops working...

N(Posted 2007) [#7]
"little improvement" is quite nice told to what happens if you change BMK as well to compile for P3 level cpu (SSE2) instead of Pentium 1 which BM does ...

I thought this change was already made. Haven't been using BMK myself, so I'm not exactly up to date on what flags are even being passed to GCC.