"Failed to assemble"?

BlitzMax Forums/BlitzMax Programming/"Failed to assemble"?

Raph(Posted 2007) [#1]
What might cause this error? I am getting it on my laptop, but not on my desktop machine. I was able to compile there fine until recently.

ziggy(Posted 2007) [#2]
i don't know for sure but have you turned off quick build?

Raph(Posted 2007) [#3]
Yep, tried that. Also synced modules. Am currently copying every module from my desktop machine to see if it's somethig in one of those :)

Raph(Posted 2007) [#4]
That didn't do it either. I am going to reinstall BMax I think.

ziggy(Posted 2007) [#5]
If using Vista, be sure to give the right permissions to the BlitzMax install path

Raph(Posted 2007) [#6]
Aha. I went into MaxIDE, and found the problem.

Ziggy, it was a missing file that was being IncBinned. BLide 00.09.04C reported only the SECOND error in the pop-up window. MaxIDE reported both the "file not found" and the "failed to assemble."

Haven't upgraded to .07 yet...

ziggy(Posted 2007) [#7]
If you're using 0.9.03, 0.9.04 or 0.9.06 b I recomend you to updagrade becouse of some important stability fixes. I'll take a look to see what can be causing the error. I think BLIde expect this line to be the 'link' to the offending BMX line of code, and it may be sent to the internal BLIde engine to display the exact sentence that was causing the error. In this particular case, the is reported by the assembler rather than BMX compiler, and the report structure is very different, so I will have to add a little fix there.

Tachyon(Posted 2007) [#8]
I just got this error as well. I had a spreadsheet opened that was to be incbin'd, and BLIde was not able to get it because it was file locked by OpenOffice. BLIde failed to report this problem, it just said "Failed to assemble."

After I opened the code in the default IDE and tried to compiled it, then I was then able to see the error telling me "the file entities.csv could not be found", but at least it told me what the problem was! I closed OpenOffice and then it compiled fine. BLIde really does need to report that error because I almost had a heart attack...how do you begin to look for a problem as vague as "failed to assemble"?!?!

Using BLIde latest version.

ziggy(Posted 2007) [#9]
Yes yes, this has been already fixed for the next update