Fast Array Loading

BlitzMax Forums/BlitzMax Programming/Fast Array Loading

Chroma(Posted 2007) [#1]
Is there a way to create an array in this manner?
MyArray[9] = {0,1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8}

tonyg(Posted 2007) [#2]
From the doc
'Auto arrays' may be created using the syntax:
[Element1,Element2 etc...]

This returns a 1 dimensional array containing the specified elements, for example:

Local int_array[]=[1,2,3,4,5]

Each element of an auto array must have exactly the same type. If necessary, you can use type conversions to enforce this.

Grey Alien(Posted 2007) [#3]
Bascially use square brackets on the right hand side of the = and don't specify the size of the array.

Dreamora(Posted 2007) [#4]
But it is not faster. This is actually calling the slicing mechanics and is slower than initializing the array with new and handfilling it!

tonyg(Posted 2007) [#5]
When you say 'Not faster' do you mean to process or to input?
I would guess that the number of items you'd have to add to make any difference in processing would mean it was NOT a good idea to enter them in the 'Auto array' fashion anyway.

Dreamora(Posted 2007) [#6]
It is not faster program execution wise.

Typing a few letters does not make a difference to me, even if I handfill a 4x4 matrix.
But if you play lazy ass you will learn that the compiler does not replace that with a more performance friendly construct (ie my handwritten one) and that you will lose a fair amount of performance.

No problem for a single instance array, there I wouldn't use the handwrite approach

But for vectors and the like (speed critical), this approach is plain wrong and defeats the purpose of optimized math routines.

Chroma(Posted 2007) [#7]
I'm just setting the initial values and they won't change.

Hmm...this is throwing an Int to Float error:
Local myarray:Float[] = [0,1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8]

EDIT: Nm, I fixed it.
Local myarray:Float[] = [0.0,1.0,2.0,3.0,4.0,5.0,6.0,7.0,8.0]