To modlue or not to module...

BlitzMax Forums/BlitzMax Programming/To modlue or not to module...

watusimoto(Posted 2007) [#1]
I've been improving a set of INI management functions that were posted a while back, adding new functionality and even <gasp> writing some documentation. I want to make this code available, and I'm not sure the best way to do it.

I could post the code in the archives, and let folks use it by including the types and functions in their code, or I could create a module and import it that way.

What are the advantages of one method over the other? And if I were to go the module route, could I/should I consider trying to get it into the BM system so that updates could be downloaded through the module mana

ziggy(Posted 2007) [#2]
I think the best choice would be to make a module so it can be pre-compiled and added to the executables at link time.

In addition a module is easier to mantain. If you found a bug, you fix the module once and all the applications will get the fix when recompiled instead of dealing with tones of bmx duplicated files everywhere.

to the getting to the BM system... I don't know how it works, but I don't think it is available to any plain BlitzMax users.