Most intense Bmax game?

BlitzMax Forums/BlitzMax Programming/Most intense Bmax game?

Snixx(Posted 2007) [#1]
Just wondering whats the most intense (graphics on screen, large images etc) game or demo made in blitzmax not using another rendering system other than gl and d3d7 drivers?

I have alot of experiance with custom renderers and im wondering if its worth coding one up or if i should just use the built in systems.

(Yes i could write some demo myself to throw around alot of graphics but im looking for something that does more than just render (ai, other game logic etc)

Thanks in advance

Gabriel(Posted 2007) [#2]
Bullet Candy?

MGE(Posted 2007) [#3]
OGL is already plenty fast and seems to optimize 2D blits on it's own. I seriously doubt a custom optimized/batched render system via DX7 would be worth it unless you're targeting older gpu's which seems to benefit the most from batching. In Blitzmax rendering from a single texture does speed things up a bit because normally Blitzmax creates a new surface for every image loaded which is alot of texture state changes per update.

I've done several demos on my blog which push around hundreds sometimes 1000's of sprites per frame. On older cards the demos run between 20-60fps, on newer cards, frame rates in the 100's is normal. All this using standard Blitzmax rendering. However....

I realize there's already a DX9 driver floating around, but a stable DX9 driver to me should be the next logical choice for 2DMax rendering. Using the DX9 sprite object, which automatically supports batching, sorting, etc, you would see a nice speed increase in render speeds. THAT would be something I would pay for. Not optimizing the older DirectX versions which run "good enough" as is. ;)

ImaginaryHuman(Posted 2007) [#4]
Yah bullet candy has quite a lot going on. Also platapus has quite a few levels of parallax scrolling.

There are faster ways to do things than how Max2D is doing it - like using vertex arrays and display lists.

DavidDC(Posted 2007) [#5]
Blitzmax is actually pretty quick. See some comparisons in this thread

Snixx(Posted 2007) [#6]
Bullet Candy was good, even thou i got owned ¬_¬ thanks all:D

edit: out of interest is Bullet Candy purely using the "out of box" glmax2ddriver?

Gabriel(Posted 2007) [#7]
Also platapus has quite a few levels of parallax scrolling.

Yup, but I think Platypus was Blitz2D, not BlitzMax. Oh wait, you probably mean the Mac port that Michael did? That might be BlitzMax.

edit: out of interest is Bullet Candy purely using the "out of box" glmax2ddriver?

As far as I know, it's the out of the box Max2D stuff, I'm not sure if it's the D3D7 or OGL driver though.

ImaginaryHuman(Posted 2007) [#8]
Yah, on the Mac it must be BlitzMax, and bullet candy is standard Max2D with OpenGL on the Mac, whatever on the PC.

TartanTangerine (was Indiepath)(Posted 2007) [#9]

Yes, however it makes extensive use of my "render2texture" module to give all that lovely "Eye Candy", hence the name "Bullet Candy" - which also came from me :)

tonyg(Posted 2007) [#10]
Tim, can you post what we need to do to get a 1.24 version of your render-to-texture module? I tried posting on your forums, PMing you there and emailing your indiepath ID. I got a 'Contact request' response but nothing else.

jkrankie(Posted 2007) [#11]
It did use the r2t module, but that part was removed for more recent versions so the game worked on more systems. Would be lovely to have an up to date version though, especially if it worked with intel gma chips...

Cheers
Charlie

tonyg(Posted 2007) [#12]
It did use the r2t module, but that part was removed for more recent versions so the game worked on more systems

What method does Bullet Candy use in the later releases?

jkrankie(Posted 2007) [#13]
just max2d

Arowx(Posted 2007) [#14]
It has to be Candy Cascade for sheer vibrant use of colour and fruit particles! ;op

tonyg(Posted 2007) [#15]
just max2d

Does that mean you're drawing a lightblend copy of an image over the top of the first or do you have pre-made 'shiny' images?