DLL creation

BlitzMax Forums/BlitzMax Programming/DLL creation

Snixx(Posted 2007) [#1]
Ive had a search and there seems to be a few differences of opinion. Is it possible (and stable) to create a dll/s in blitzmax and if so... are there any small guides/samples?

MGE(Posted 2007) [#2]
hmm interesting question. Could we create a .DLL that could be used in other programs? In other languages?

grable(Posted 2007) [#3]
Theres countless examples in the forums, and as far as i know its pretty stable.
And since they are normal DLLs any application can use them.
But for completeness il put it all here in one place.

First heres some helper tools to help automate the process.

makedef.bmx - creates def files from blitzmax sources (see the 'EXPORT appended to functions in the dll source)

makelib.cmd - for easy creation of def file & compiling dll (allows spaces in the path as well as drag & drop!
@echo off
if not %1 == "" (
	cd %~dp1
	makedef %~nx1
	pushd .
	command /c bmk makelib -r %~n1
	popd
)

You also need to copy dllcrt2.o from your mingw\lib dir to your blitzmax\lib dir. (thanks jsp!)
And add blitzmax\bin to your PATH environment variable.

And heres the actual application + dll sources

app.bmx

dlltest.bmx
Framework BRL.Blitz

SuperStrict

Const COMPILE_DLL:Int = True

Function ShowMessage() "Win32" 'EXPORT
	If COMPILE_DLL Then GCEnter()
	MessageBoxA 0, "Hello world from DLL!", "MessageBox", 0
EndFunction

Extern "Win32"
	Function MessageBoxA:Int( hwnd:Int, message$z, title$z, buttons:Int)
EndExtern

Compiling the dll & application:
makelib dlltest.bmx
bmk makeapp -r app.bmx

EDIT: makedef.bmx didnt handle Rem/EndRem properly & added Include handling.
EDIT2: fixed batch file to handle drag & drop

jsp(Posted 2007) [#4]
Don't forget to copy dllcrt2.o from your MinGW\lib directory into your BlitzMax\lib directory.

And to have drag and drop working from any location you may like to add a cd command (blitzmax bin directory) to the makelib.cmd file.

grable(Posted 2007) [#5]
Oops, forgot about that one.. =)

Its also good idea to add your blitzmax bin dir to your path, as you should with mingw.

MGE(Posted 2007) [#6]
whoah.... I may have to play with this when I have time, but it sounds like I could make my little 2d engine be useable from any other language. hmm.... BIG hmm....

N(Posted 2007) [#7]
whoah.... I may have to play with this when I have time, but it sounds like I could make my little 2d engine be useable from any other language. hmm.... BIG hmm....

You're going to have a lot of issues with garbage collection if you try.