BLIde 00.09.06 available

BlitzMax Forums/BlitzMax Programming/BLIde 00.09.06 available

ziggy(Posted 2007) [#1]
EDIT:This version is obsolete and has been replaced by 00.09.07 becouse of some stability issues. Updating is highly recomended as not stability issues have been found on 00.09.07
Hello, as the previous thread was becoming a little bit long, I've started a new one.
This is the latest BLIde update. For newcomers, BLIde is an Integrated Development Environment for BlitzMax (for windows).

For more information, take a look at www.blide.org

This is the changelog for this version:
# Speccific hilighting routine for compiler directives.

# Some fixes on the smart text formater

# Some important fixes on the unicode / international support.

# Fixes and improvements in the debuger.

# improvements to the BLIde internal intelliprompt API,

# The backspace character is also throwing context-based autolists with pre-entered text matching.

# BLIde will now serialize the layout when a BLIde project is saved, so when the project is re-loaded, all the BLIde windows, panels and open documents will be exactly in the same state they where when the project was saved the last time.

# As always, all this changes in the BLIde file format are back-wards compatible with previous versions.

# improvements on the BPP interpreter that now works about 2 o 3 times faster in all the plug-in comunicactions, allowing a double threaded execution of plugins :D (dual core optimized, obviously).

# Fixed a bug that could make BLIde become irresponsive after a compilation error when compiling C++ source code using the MinGW compiler

# Improved the "Self" and "Super" type detection in the intelliprompt area, spetially in the scope-matching mechanism (Thanks to H&K)

# Some improvements on the graphics/windows area, flickering has been reduced a lot, sptially when loading big projects

# Fixed: If the save icon or shortcut is hit with a new file open, it lets you save the file without haveing to put a space or the like in the listing (Thanks to H&K)

# Color for compiler directives is again available on this version

# Fixed: BLIde no longer asks you to save the project if it has been already saved and not modified when closing BLIde

# Fixed: Ctrl+C and Ctrl+V are now working on the console window (Thanks to speedbrusher)

# Fixed: When an update was available, BLIde was opening a wrong URL destination (Thanks to speedbrusher)

# Fixed: Message windows can now be closed using the ESC key (Thanks to speedbrusher)

# Fixed: The braces matching hilighting on the code window is now customizable on the preferences dialog

# Fixed: Pressing CTRL-S when editing a "Single .bmx file" rather than a "BLide Project" was causing a "Can't save project because there's no project loaded" error. This has been fixed to the standard used in every program for saving whatever you're working on. (Thanks to Chalky)

# Fixed: Ctrl+V now works in the dialog box (Thanks to Chalky)

# Fixed: A bug on multi threading that could cause BLIde become irresponsive in some very raro situations

# Changed: Intellipromt icons are smaller, and have a new simpler look.

# NEW: Very important improvement in the code analizer. Now it detects unused local variables, local variables that are declared, initialized but not really user, local variables that are used before they get a value, and a lot of improvements in code-block matching. See TIPS and TRICKS in the BLIde website to get more info about this new code analizer.

I'm spetially happy with the new code analizer algorithm, for more information take a look at: http://www.blide.org/tricks.htm

Please, uninstall previous version of BLIde. Deleting the BLIde folder is not needed, just the add/remove programs operation.

Snixx(Posted 2007) [#2]
just installed it, nice nice work, going to be using this as my main ide from now on :D

one thing, in the project dependencies tree is there no way to show the folders the files are in? and also remove the "additional media files" from the list?

ziggy(Posted 2007) [#3]
@Snixx: The dependencies project tree does not display the files in 'storage' order, but in dependency order. Your file code.bmx is used by main.bmx to compile, so it is placed down of main.bmx (that means, used by main.bmx). You can use the project files explorer to see your files in storage order, or you can just press Ctrl + E when editing any file to open this file folder in the windows explorer and do whatever you need with your files. Additional media files is just like a 'box' where you can add any file (not only code files, but any kind of them). I would recomend you to take a look to the section 'What is a BLIde project' in the BLIde documentation. The documentation is a little bit outdated, but this section haven't had many changes and it would be very usefull to you if you're new to BLIde.

A new project mode called "managed project" (much more like visual studio solutions) is on development and will be available for free very soon.

Snixx(Posted 2007) [#4]
ah ok fair enough:D (was used to Visual Studio as you seemed to work out)

Big&(Posted 2007) [#5]
Nice update as always ziggy.

Some problems:

After I have created a type and then I use it later on in my code. If I have a field of say "xpos", so I reference it:
ALIEN.xpos=2
If I happen to type a "." after "xpos" and keep typing, BLIde crashes.
Error="Object reference not set to an instance of an object."

Also I cannot turn off the hint box that lists the fields in the type.

ziggy(Posted 2007) [#6]
Snixx, Big& and any other user that has downloaded latest version: Ups! Wrong bmxparser dll. Sorry for this. Please download it again or,in case your ISP does cache files, download from here: http://www.blide.org/download1357908642wqeryuioiuysdfgyurB-3423-43-23/blide-00-09-06-b.rar

EDIT:
Current official version 00.09.07 has all this issues fixed. http://www.blide.org/download.htm

Big&(Posted 2007) [#7]
One more problem zig (I bet you hate all this :) )

With Auto Lists turned off, if after you have typed you type e.g.:
ALIEN.x=2
If you backspace or delete the "x=2" the intelliprompt pops up for the type, which it shouldn't do.

No more crashes though :)

Chalky(Posted 2007) [#8]
Another great update! Thanks ziggy.

[edit] Doh! Just realised my bug was the same as Big&'s - that'll teach me not to read things properly first! [/edit]

ziggy(Posted 2007) [#9]
@Big& and Chalky: Ok I'll fix this autolist preferences checking issue with the backspace key for next update. :)
EDIT:
Current official version 00.09.07 has all this issues fixed. http://www.blide.org/download.htm

H&K(Posted 2007) [#10]
Oh damb, wanted to report the error that both Big and Chalky posted.

Good work, when all the errors posted are the same one ;)

Im sure this request has been asked for before, but do you think that you can do a "Full Screen" mode. Whereby you just have the listing and maybe a couple of floating Icons. (Like Fullscreen in VS6)

Also.. There was a Protean Plugin posted last week, wereby the ToDo list was created from the listing. I think it went on the lines of
'Todo Whatever
And the Todo tool putit automaticly into its todo list.
This would be really really useful
http://www.blitzmax.com/Community/posts.php?topic=72243#807345

(Edit: And if BLide already does this, you need better Docs)

Derron(Posted 2007) [#11]
If (Floor(ufo_curKubSplineX.ValueInt(ufo_tPos)) = 65 and Floor(ufo_curKubSplineY.ValueInt(ufo_tPos)) = 330) or ..
			   (ufo_beaming.AnimPos > 1 and ufo_beaming.AnimPos <= ufo_beaming.AnimCount - 1) 

multiple lines connected with ".." (if-parts and so on) still breaks the code-folding.

If you put such if-else-things in your code and fold the method/function containing the if-thing, then the whole rest of the sourcecode-file is folded within this method/function...

edit - another thing i reconized... in a part of my code i said "=>" instead of ">=" - this also made code folding breaking. I know normal is "greater or equal" and not vise versa but as long as BMax doesn't get angry ;D.

bye
MB

ziggy(Posted 2007) [#12]
MichaelB:
Can you provide a full showing error source code, in order for me to send it to the quantum whale developers and fix this bug? It seems like a internal quantum whale bug.

Derron(Posted 2007) [#13]
Seems complicated ... just tried it with a new bmx-file - 2 short types and some methods, worked like charm.

Tried some of my >100kb-codefiles - "=>" and ".." could (seems only in certain circumstanzes) break code folding.

(changed "=>" to ">=" and it works... while ".." is still used but sometimes both changes are necessary).

I'll continue trying ;D.

bye
MB

EDIT:
Function MyFirstFunction() 
	Local x:Int
	If x < 100 'draw it
		DrawImage(nothing, 0, 0) 
		For x = 0 To 10
			If x <= 0 or x = 5 or x = 6 or x = 7 or x = 8 or x = 9 or x = 10 or x = 11 or x = 12 or x = 13 and ..
			   x * x > 25
				If x <> Null
					If x <> 0
						If x <> Null Then Exit
						If x = Null Then Exit
					Else
						If x = 1 Then x = 2 Else x = 1
						Exit
					End If
				EndIf
			EndIf
		Next
    	DrawText("test", 20, 20) 
	EndIf
End Function

Function MySecondFunction() 

End Function

try to fold the first function.

Blitzogger(Posted 2007) [#14]
Question, when i pay for Blide Plus i read that you get a username/activation key. Where do you enter the username/activation, in the editor itself or on a members only page?

Thank You For Your Time,

Time of Dawn

Chalky(Posted 2007) [#15]
Hi ziggy,

Have managed to crash BLide 09.06(b) consistently while trying to paste the following into a .bmx file:
;Fill in the gap To the End of the arc, as the 'Step' in the For/Next loop above may have overshot it

while porting snippets of code from an old .bb file. The section of code I was pasting was much bigger - but I narrowed it down to the above line which caused the crash.

Probably not much help, but the message I get is simply:

BLide .net 2.0 has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience.

Unfortunately no other information is provided.

ziggy(Posted 2007) [#16]
@Chalky: This bug has been already fixed for next release. As it is an stability issue, I'll try to provide an update as soon as possible, I'm now currently making some changes to the code analizer and to the intelliprompt engine, but I hope I will be able to provide an update tomorrow or the day after tomorrow. This is a very strange bug that only happens in very rare situations and it let's you save what you're working on.

EDIT:

ziggy(Posted 2007) [#17]
@Time Of Dawn: In the editor itself, but you get a username, a password and a static link library (a .lib file) that has to be placed in the same folder as BLIde. It is also recomended to have MinGW properly installed to get all the benefits of the plus version.

Chalky(Posted 2007) [#18]
Thanks Ziggy. By the way - the 'prompt to save before closing' issue still exists if a Project is opened, not edited in any way, and then either closed or another Project opened. Or if it is edited, then saved, then closed etc.

ziggy(Posted 2007) [#19]
@MichaelB: A fix for this folding issue is being done

ziggy(Posted 2007) [#20]
@Chalky: This bug is happening when a line of blitzmax code starts with the character ';'. BLIde thinks this character is separating 2 sentences and it is not ready for a first empty sentence (producing a crash). This has been fixed for the next update (coming ASAP).
EDIT:

Chalky(Posted 2007) [#21]
ziggy - it's not just the ';' character which causes it - it also happens if I type a '#' character on a line on its own and press enter before adding a label name.

ziggy(Posted 2007) [#22]
I know it, it is the same bug, I hope to have an update today.

ziggy(Posted 2007) [#23]
As promissed, the update 00.09.07 is ready for today. All major stability bugs reported have been fixed.

This is the changelog:
* Fixed several stability issues that could make BLIde crash when editing source code. Spetially when editing lines of code starting with the character ; or with the character # in some situations

* Fixed weird behaviour with the autolist autocompletion box when using the backspace key. This has been fixed to work in a standard way (based on Visual Studio)

* Fixed a bug in the preferences dialog that could cause the option 'Enable intelliprompt' not to be properly serialized

* Fixed some bugs in the code analizer area. Spetially on control display refreshment

* Improved a lot the code analizer algorithm. Now consumes even less CPU and has a more exact error and warning matching mechanism

* New feature: On code bug hilighting. (by default 'on' on the preferences dialog) Bugs and warnings can display the classical waveline mark on the code window.

Updating is highly recomended.

Blitzogger(Posted 2007) [#24]
Why do i need the static link library for if BlitzMax doesn't require it? Also i don't plan on creating mods, so i don't need MingW either.

ziggy(Posted 2007) [#25]
The static link library is envolved in the plus activation process. Not releated to blitxmax compilation ot execution. Nothing will be linked in your applications or something. It is BLIde itself using the compiled library to complete the BLIde Plus Activation process. this LIB file contains part of the activation routines, so it is impossible to activate a BLIde Plus account without it, latest activation system was hacked, so I had to add a security 'plus' to the process, and this 'plus' is on the LIB file. This lib is used by BLIde at runtime when checking BLIde Plus activation just when BLIde starts and when BLIde is requested to make a Plus feature.

MinGW is requiered also to add your own icons to your executables and to make them have the apropiate system styles when working with windows vista or XP. MinGW is used to compile the resource information that is then linked with the compiled blitzmax code. Additionaly, when publishing applications this way, you can decrease the size of the final executable by making a JIT compressed - decompressed executable that will make your EXE files smaller (ideal for internet distros) and with 'transparent' on memory decompression for the final user. All of this without changing a single line of your code.

Blitzogger(Posted 2007) [#26]
Do i need anything besides the blide installer to run blide like a runtime of some sorts? I see no mentions of any additional runtimes on the site so i'm asking on this thread.

EDIT: Nevermind, i just answered my own question.

H&K(Posted 2007) [#27]
Net 2

ziggy(Posted 2007) [#28]
or Windows vista (wich already comes with .net 3) BLIde can be run on .net 2.0 and .net 3.0

To get the list of recomended system specs to run BLIde:
http://www.blide.org/overview.htm

Michael Reitzenstein(Posted 2007) [#29]
Thanks for the update!

xlsior(Posted 2007) [#30]
Ziggy, couple of minor suggestions, after seeing the overview on your site at http://www.blide.org/overview.htm

Pentium IV 1.6 Gigahertz or equivalent AMD (could work with a lower computer, but performance is not warrantied)

'not warrantied' sounds odd here... should probably read 'decreased', or at least 'not guaranteed' instead

BLIde is fully compatible with PENTIUM and AMD processors

Since it also runs on Celeron's or Core Duo CPU's, you may want to change it to just 'INTEL and AMD processors'

ziggy(Posted 2007) [#31]
Thanks for the feedback.
I've corrected the overview section of the BLIde web page thanks a lot to xlsior.
I know there are a lot of errors in my english so please, those who are native English speakers, feel free to tell me all kind of language errors in the website and, especially, in the BLIde application so I can correct them.

SebHoll(Posted 2007) [#32]
Thanks for the update...

I know there are a lot of errors in my english so please, those who are native English speakers, feel free to tell me all kind of language errors in the website and, spetially, in the BLIde application so I can correct them.

LOL, one thing I noticed is that you write spetially when you mean especially... They appear in your change logs too! ;-)

ziggy(Posted 2007) [#33]
@SebHoll: Thanks :D

Raph(Posted 2007) [#34]
Ziggy,

Just reposting from the "failed to assemble" thread since t turned out to be a Blide issue!

"Aha. I went into MaxIDE, and found the problem.

Ziggy, it was a missing file that was being IncBinned. BLide 00.09.04C reported only the SECOND error in the pop-up window. MaxIDE reported both the "file not found" and the "failed to assemble."

Haven't upgraded to .07 yet... "

plash(Posted 2007) [#35]
How do I change the color of EOL symbols?

ziggy(Posted 2007) [#36]
@Raph: I will take a look to see what can be there. Anyway didn't you check the compile results in the console window? the pop-up gives a short error description. checking the BLIde console will give you all the detailed information.

@Plash: You can't. I will add this feature for the next update, in the define editor colors and look

plash(Posted 2007) [#37]
Ok, thanks.

TaskMaster(Posted 2007) [#38]
Ziggy, I would like to be able to choose the EOL character, if that feature is not in there, I haven't played with the latest version yet.

Thanks for the great work.

ziggy(Posted 2007) [#39]
What do you mean 'choose' the EOF charater? Its color ot its display character?

plash(Posted 2007) [#40]
He means change its display character, if your going to add that, I think it would be nice to make it so we can change ALL the symbols used when you turn on that feature.

plash(Posted 2007) [#41]
I noticed functions like "Not", and "And", don't get properly capitalized, not sure what other functions don't get capitalized.. those two were the only ones i noticed.

EDIT:To me this is an unwanted behavior.

ziggy(Posted 2007) [#42]
@Plash: The case correction for "And" "Not" and "Or" is defined as lowercase. I will change it for next update. If you wish, you can edit a file called STDKEYWORDS.TXT in your blide installation path and correct the case for "and", "not" and "or". the "not" keyword is defined twice in the file. please correct it twice if needed

plash(Posted 2007) [#43]
I get this error:
Could not find a part of the path 'C:\Program Files\BLIde\tmp\untitled - 8052134101697D7.lua'

whenever I try to make a new file (except for a blide project and a blitzmax file).

P.S. '.lua' is replaced with whatever file extension I'm trying to make, and the weird numbers before the extension are different

ziggy(Posted 2007) [#44]
@Plash: If you're using Vista, be sure to give full permissions to all the BLIde installation path.
To do this, navigate to your install path, select the folder, right-click it, select properties, security, and activate all the permissions for all files.
Next update will generate BLIde files in a more vista friendly way (I hope).

The weird numbers ar a GUID for the temporal file, so any temp file won't replace any existing one.

plash(Posted 2007) [#45]
Nope WinXP Professional.

EDIT: and I'm always on an administrator account

H&K(Posted 2007) [#46]
Hi,
Another request (hahah, like you dont have enough to do)

Would it be possible at all for 'Summary: to have a different colour allocation to normal '

ziggy(Posted 2007) [#47]
@Plash, be sure to have a tmp folder inside your BlitzMax installation folder. Let me know if that produces the bug. Does this error display any additional information? Is this message shown in the console, on a dialog window or on a unhandled exception run-time window?

@H&K: That was already on my todo list! :D

dmaz(Posted 2007) [#48]
ziggy, I posted on your board... just wondering if you saw that?

also,
The braces matching hilighting on the code window is now customizable on the preferences dialog

I like the highlighting but it would be great if we could set the colors through the "text styles"... like, I would rather have no box but a change in background and foreground color.

plash(Posted 2007) [#49]
I created the tmp folder and it works now.

ziggy(Posted 2007) [#50]
@dmaz: I meant it can now be enabled and dissabled. And it'll be improved for the next update. You will be able to select a custom color, and a border or a background fill.

@Plash: This folder should be created by the BLIde setup, wasn't it?

plash(Posted 2007) [#51]
No, it wasn't.

Gabriel(Posted 2007) [#52]
I've just upgraded from the 0.8 series and I immediately noticed that the five second pauses I used to get in 0.8.x are still happening in 0.9.7. That is, when editing, there is occasionally a five second pause before keystrokes which have been pressed are registered.

However, worse than that, it's already twice locked up completely editing a moderate sized file. ( 75KB / 2000 lines. )

I'm forcing Blide to run on only 1 core, otherwise, these lockups can actually hang Windows completely, forcing a reboot and lost work. Even on just 1 core, though, it never came back to me on these two crashes.

EDIT: It seems to happen over and over again on the same file. All I'm trying to do is rem out a small block of code, and it locks hard and never continues. Ideally I'd like to send you the source file, but that's not really possible, so I'll report what I can and see if I can make it repeatable on some other code.

EDIT2: Actually, I don't think the source will help. Even opening a new file or editing a tiny ( < 1 kb ) file sometimes causes Blide to lock completely, so it's evidently something about my machine it doesn't like.

EDIT3: Sorry, I'm going to have to uninstall this and go back to 0.8.x because 0.9 is crashing every 2 minutes and I can't get any work done.

ziggy(Posted 2007) [#53]
@Gabriel: I have some questions to make in order to sort out this very strange problems you're having.

Did you uninstall previously completly the 0.8 version? If you install a 0.9,x version over a 0.8.x version, you will have all kind of issues.

Do you have latest .net service pack? This is espetially important on x64 versions of the .net framework.

When eyou say 'crash' you mean this lock ups or a real crash making closing BLIde?

Are you running more than one instance of BLIde?

Do you get the lock ups when doing anything spetial, or are them happening randomly, any clue to reproduce them?

Can you test editing your code in another computer with BLIde (just to know if it is any compatibility issue, or a bug affecting everyone when the user makes something spetial). ?

Please all this ifo would be much apreciated

ziggy(Posted 2007) [#54]
-

Gabriel(Posted 2007) [#55]
In answer to your questions :

Yes, I completely uninstalled everything including deleting the folder.

I have Vista and all Windows updates. I'm on Vista 32, not 64, and I don't know if there are any additional .Net service packs I can get beyond everything in Windows update.

When I say crash, I mean it locks up completely, and does not respond. No error, and it does not close unless I force it to.

No, I'm not running more than one instance.

It locks up all the time, when typing, moving the cursor, anything like that. You're probably not going to reproduce these on your machine IMO because everyone would be getting it all the time already if it happened on all machines. You could try running Blide from a batch file ( details of how I do this below ) and see if that is what does it, but I doubt it, because that's just simulating having a pc with a single core cpu.

No, I'm afraid I can't test on another machine. I only have one machine I can develop on.

I'm running Blide with a batch file which does this :

cd "\program files\the factory.ws\blide for blitzmax"
start /AFFINITY 2 blide.exe

That's to ensure that it's only ever running on CPU Core 1, to stop it hanging the OS. I had to do this with 0.8.x to stop it hanging Windows when Blide locked up while I was running my game, and I have to assume that 0.9.x would be doing the same thing if it had access to both cores.

By the way, before you edited it out, you had a link there for a version you wanted me to download? I was already back to 0.8.17 by then and it was working well, but I removed it so that I could test for you, and when I came here for the EXE you wanted me to download, it was gone again. Now I've gone back to 0.8.17 for the second time and now 0.8.17 is crashing constantly too.

Do you install any files anywhere other than Program Files\The Factory.WS ? Because I'd really like to clear everything out and get one version - any version - working properly again.

Anyway, for the time being, since 0.8.17 doesn't work any more either, I'm on 0.9.7 again for a while, so if you do have any ideas, I'll be able to try. I'm going to try running it without my little batch file, so long as I don't get any Windows crashes. Those are nasty.

ziggy(Posted 2007) [#56]
@Gabriel: I'm making some tests and I think I know where to look at. It seems it is a sync. issue within threads. I managed to reproduce this opening several instances of BLIde with big files, and I see BLIde hung randomly. This only happens on release mode, si It will be difficult to track down.
The installer doesn't install anthing outside the BLIde folder itself, so reinstalling 0.8.17 b should be ok for you. I will send you a test version ASAP. I thought I had found the issue some hours ago, but in didn't worked. Be sure to not have 2 versions at the same time in the add/remove programs, you know, installing and rolling back, sometimes it is easy to let 2 versions 'overlaping'

Gabriel(Posted 2007) [#57]
I've removed everything again and installed 0.9.7. I'll let you know if I can pinpoint anything else. So far it's been going ok for about 30 minutes without a crash which is as good as it's been. As I say, if I can identify anything else, I'll let you know.

EDIT: Spoke too soon, it's locked up again. So disregard my information about the affinity shortcut. It does exactly the same when run on both cores.

CS_TBL(Posted 2007) [#58]
forgive me when this is an overly old issue:

File>Settings>Preferences

And then I get some popup telling me to 'reaload' files I'm editing, but 1) I don't have any files open, and 2) it also pops up on empty new projects.

Furthermore, ctrl-n and then a list o' options is a more conventional way to start a new file.

Alt-F4 is also a more conventional way to close the app.

Alt-F S, Alt-F A, Alt-F O, Alt-F N are also more conventional menu keys for save, save as, open and new..

Other than that, the IDE seems nice to me, more GUI testresults later. :P

ziggy(Posted 2007) [#59]
@Gabriel: I'm looking deeply on that issue. I'm starting to see the light (It is a thread sync issue), but this problem is affecting in the very deep base engine of BLIde. I would like to know if I can send you a beta of this fix as soon as I have it ready.

CS_TBL(Posted 2007) [#60]
first type this:

Type bla
Method p00()
End Method
End Type

close/fold the method

Add a field between "Type bla" and the method, just type 'field' and wait. The method opens/unfolds. Same for other stuff like IF and FOR, but from the few commands I've tested, only Field causes stuff to open. Which defeats the point of manually closing/folding something.

ziggy(Posted 2007) [#61]
@Gabriel: I've just sent you a patch to the email in your profile, I think this issue is fixed now. Please let me know if it works for you. this patch has to be installed over 00.09.07 version. It still shows 00.09.07 version number.

@CS_TBL: Thanks for your feedback, ASAP I will make some changes in this direction.

Gabriel(Posted 2007) [#62]
Hi Ziggy, I'd be happy to test the patch out. I've just sent you a reply to your email as I couldn't download it. I should have some time later tonight to test it though so if you can check the URL, I'll give it a go tonight and let you know.

H&K(Posted 2007) [#63]
@Ziggy,

I also have been exparianceing the 5 second Pause thing.

It isnt a Big big hasstle, and normaly it only happens when Ive BmaxIde in the Background, and a couple of Web-Explorer windows open, so I was just putting it down to windows pageing. I didnt get this problem with 0.8.x, and I only metion it now in case it makes finding the reason and fixing Gabriels more serious problem easier.

(Also from what I can remember its only noticable when editing:- so either its a problem with some catch, if I scroll down a lot of code very quickly, or the Keyboard buffer still works during the pauses)

ziggy(Posted 2007) [#64]
Thanks for the info H&K. I'm waiting to see if everything works well with Gabriel set-up, and if everything is well, I'll release a fix update ASAP

CS_TBL(Posted 2007) [#65]
local a:int,a:int

behold :P

ziggy(Posted 2007) [#66]
Thanks CS_TBL, that's fixed for the next release.

Gabriel(Posted 2007) [#67]
Thanks Ziggy, I'm testing it now. I'll report back when I know more.

Gabriel(Posted 2007) [#68]
Nope, sorry. It took about two minutes before it locked up completely again.

ziggy(Posted 2007) [#69]
@Gabriel: I've just sent you a couple of Emails with some additional builds. I would like you to test them all (4 in total) and tell me wich ones lock BLIde (all, one, none, etc.) This will help me a lot locating the thread-sync issue.

Gabriel(Posted 2007) [#70]
Hi Ziggy. I'd like to help, but I need to get an old version of Blide running so that I can work. BlitzMax development is my day job. Is there a way for my to install 0.8.17 and 0.9.7 separately such that they won't interfere with one another?

ziggy(Posted 2007) [#71]
Yes. Copy all your Blide installation folder to somewhere in your 'my documents folder', then uninstall completely 00.09.07, and install 00.08.17.

You should be able to run BLIde 00.09.07 from the folder you copied it. Please, if you really do this tests, start from the build called BLIde Double Threading. I think this is the more secure of all.

Gabriel(Posted 2007) [#72]
Thanks Ziggy, I'll begin with Double Threading, and I'll let you know how I go.

CS_TBL(Posted 2007) [#73]
That white open rect around matching brackets .. could there an alternative for those? Imho they're obfuscating the view. How about changing the color of matching brackets (kinda like the VisualBlitz IDE), or making 'em bold style?

Gabriel(Posted 2007) [#74]
Well DoubleThreading was working quite nicely until I opened a file by clicking in the Find In Files window and shortly after, the little "building tree" window which pops up after you change any line of code kept popping up over and over again even though I wasn't editing anything. I closed down every file that was open ( three small files ) and it is still doing it. CPU Usage is about three percent, and it's in no way locked up, but it just keeps popping up this window saying "building tree" every second or two. It was a CPP file that I opened by mistake, and it does this every time.

Is this what you were hoping for?

I plan to continue testing this version anyway, since it hasn't locked up yet.

ziggy(Posted 2007) [#75]
@Gabriel: That's exactly what I was hoping for! I have a new 'update' for this version without this anoing pop-up window. There is a little issue using the C++ parser, but it has been already fixed.
Please, if you're running this version from a 'documents' folder, you can just 'delete' the folder, and install this new version:
http://www.blide.org/blide-00-09-07-b.zip
This file is a complete Blide set up, that installs BLIde in another folder than the official 0.8.x series, so they can be installed together in the same computer. I've done it becouse it will make the testing easier, and I'm making some improvements to the BLIde deployment.

By default this set-up will install BLIde on C:\program files\BLIde for Blitzmax

Let me know how it works for you. I think it shouldn't lock any more. (fingers crossed)

@CS_TBL: A change in the braces matching display is in the To do list for the next official update. I will let the user choose the braces hilighting style (DrawBorder, DrawBackground or Bold)

Jake L.(Posted 2007) [#76]
I've found a hard to describe bug, here's an example: Take an existing line "GetFrame()", set the cursor at the beginning and type "local frame:TFrame="!

after the ":" the type-selector pops up and jumps to my TFrame in the list. Then, when typing "=" GetFrame will be removed, leaving the line "local frame:Tframe=()".

To prevent this I have to cancel the type-popup with ESC. This shouldn't be neccessary, right?

ziggy(Posted 2007) [#77]
@Jake L. the = character is a autolist selector, such as the . and the space. That's very usefull when writing expressions, but it may be canceled when doing another tasks. I'm not sure if I can do much about it, I'll take a look to see if I can disable the = char in autolists selection, but it is a char I use a lot when writing expressions with autolists.

Gabriel(Posted 2007) [#78]
Hi Ziggy,

Just to let you know that I've been using the new version you uploaded yesterday, and I've had no problems at all so far. The five second pause has not happened at all, and I've not had a single lockup. It definitely looks promising.

ziggy(Posted 2007) [#79]
@Gabriel. That's completely awesome news. I will release a BETA version as soon as possible just to let users download, install it and use it before it becomes the official release.

H&K(Posted 2007) [#80]
@Jake (and Ziggy), I like that behaviour. OK yep right, you need to esc, when you dont want to overwrite something, but it makes edditing easier when you do want to override a preious code entry.

Jake L.(Posted 2007) [#81]
@Ziggy: If I remember right this did not happen with earlier versions. This seems like a typical "not a bug but a feature" thingy ;) Maybe it's possible to make this behaviour optional with settings.

H&K(Posted 2007) [#82]
Hi,

If I create a Method outside of a type, (or if Im cutting and pasteing, and have a method not in its type), I get a crash.

thanks

Gabriel(Posted 2007) [#83]
Still going absolutely fine with not a single lockup for me. It certainly appears that you've fixed that problem. Great job on getting that fixed so quickly.

A couple of little bugs I did find. They're not major problems, and they're not interfering with me working, but I did notice them and thought I probably should report them :

1) The following code generates a warning in the code analyzer.

If Byte Ptr(Self)[-4]>1
			DebugLog "OBJECT HAS BEEN DESTROYED BUT THERE ARE STILL "+Byte Ptr(Self)[-4]+" REFERENCES TO IT IN THE GC"
		End If

The code analyzer reports "EndIf must be preceded by a matching If". The code compiles just fine, so evidently there are no mismatched if..endif pairs here.

2) Methods which return an object, specifically when they are in an array do not work properly with Intellisense()

For example : MyObjectArray[1].GetADifferentObject().

At this point, I should get a popup with methods from whatever object the GetADifferentObject() method returns. What I actually get is a popup of methods for arrays.I tried placing brackets around it too, but it didn't help.

ziggy(Posted 2007) [#84]
@Gabriel: Yes, that has been already fixed for the next BLIde update. thanks!

Gabriel(Posted 2007) [#85]
Hi Ziggy,

just started updating the TV3D module, and I spotted another little thing.

If I type a function definition ( in an Extern block ) and it has a parameter$z ( for external strings ) Blide's beautifier changes it to :StringZ

I obviously can ( and did ) turn off the beautifier, but I thought I should probably let you know.

Still absolutely no pauses or lockups though. XD

ziggy(Posted 2007) [#86]
Ok, thanks, I'll fix it, in order to not have this problem untill next update, you can disable it on the preferences dialog :D

dmaz(Posted 2007) [#87]
the code analyzer reports "Type started within a 'function' block" and then of course I get the little squiggle underline in the code window. defining a type in a function is perfectly acceptable in Max. I use it often to keep some things completely self contained.

ziggy(Posted 2007) [#88]
I didn't know nesting types was supported, I'll change this for the next release.

dmaz(Posted 2007) [#89]
not types within types though... just in functions, type functions and methods. they are obviously type definitions and there for cannot be repeated in the same namespace.

ziggy(Posted 2007) [#90]
@Dmaz: A new update is available. I will start a new thread as this one is getting too big.

(if some mod can lock this one, it would be great).

This thread continues here:
http://www.blitzmax.com/Community/posts.php?topic=72870