Looking for contract work?

BlitzMax Forums/BlitzMax Programming/Looking for contract work?

sswift(Posted 2007) [#1]
I have an immediate opening for a BlitzMax programmer.

Your mission, should you choose to accept it, will be to complete a game I've been working on called Attack of the Alien Space Beetles.

You can find a demo here of the game in its current state:
http://raccoonrocket.com/blitz/asb-041.zip

Mouse moves, left mouse fires, right mouse selects weapons, middle mouse spawns enemies. Only laser and missile affect enemies. Spacebar toggles levels, but I think right now it just does the space scroll for all levels.

What still needs to be done? Different enemy attack patterns. Simple boss battles. Title screen. Menu system. High score display. Few additional powerups. Few additional weapons. Some nebulas in the background. Just basic stuff.

If interested, send me an email, with a link to some past work, in Blitz perferably, which qualifies you to do this, (I don't need a whole resume) how much you want, and how long you estimate it might take given the admittedly sparse information I've provided.

Email:
scswift@...

Dabz(Posted 2007) [#2]
Just a note, I tried running main-041.exe, the screen went black, then it was back to the desktop??? That was on Vista by the way

Will try on XP

Dabz

EDIT: Works on XP... I guess its an OpenGL thing... I havent got the openGL drivers installed on Vista for testing purposes (Unknown to Vista users, they may not have it on their system), so, if OpenGL isnt there when I want it, I would automatically knock it back to DX7

Nice little demo by the way! ;)

Azathoth(Posted 2007) [#3]
Some of Nvidia's drivers are broken in OpenGL, works here alright on Vista x64

Grey Alien(Posted 2007) [#4]
sooooo tempting. Must finish current game first...couple of weeks to go (really).

sswift(Posted 2007) [#5]
Grey:
I could wait a couple weeks. I could wait a month. But if you don't email me and someone else comes along then how would I know you were interested? :-)

Dabz:
Yeah it's using GL. There was some issue with Max taking a really long time to shut down in D3D and when the game starts it doesn't switch to fullscreen as cleanly. So I decided to default to OpenGL, but I guess I need some fallback code in there if OpenGL isn't installed.

Grey Alien(Posted 2007) [#6]
sswift: To be honest I'd only say yes if BFG didn't offer me another game after this one. I'd love to do it though but I've already said I'll do another project as my "hobby" project...If you don't get much luck, then talk to me late Sept.

Arowx(Posted 2007) [#7]
What is the going rate for BMax contract work at the moment ? ;o)

Dreamora(Posted 2007) [#8]
There is no going rate.
it depends on what you do and for who you do it.

sswift(Posted 2007) [#9]
Apparently there is no going rate as I haven't had anyone apply!

I would have thought there'd be a lot more young folks out there using Blitzmax who were just itching to get paid to do this stuff. I may have to look to C programmers instead. :-(

Dabz(Posted 2007) [#10]
I would love to take on contract programming work sswift, and as such, this would fit me down to a tee as I have made a few top-down shooter over the years.

But:-

1) I have no offical portfolio
2) I work during the day (maybe if it was posted a couple of weeks ago I would of worked with it for free)
3) I want to finish my first offical commercial game

So all in all, its a time issue, and I imagine thats the same for a lot of people.

Dabz

slenkar(Posted 2007) [#11]
I sent you a proposal.
I have a lot of experience with doing those kind of things in blitz3d but not so much in blitzmax.

www.ashfordgames.com
for past work

slenkar(Posted 2007) [#12]
so.....its a no then

sswift(Posted 2007) [#13]
Chunk:
I'm currently in discussion with someone else about doing it, and I was on vacation a few days this weekend. I was gonna get back to ya when I had time. :-)

But I just looked at your proposal and games and I don't think you have the neccessary experience to do a game of the complexity and quality I desire, so I'm gonna have to decline your offer.

Dabz:
I don't care about an official portfolio, I just want to see some games you worked on. :-)

maximo(Posted 2007) [#14]
So you aint gonna give a young chap a chance to prove him self swift? come on, he can do it

sswift(Posted 2007) [#15]
I'm sure there's plenty of other people who would like to hire him to write a game for them. He doesn't know how long it will take, but all he'd like is a copy of Blitzmax and World Creator 2.5 as payment. That's a great deal if you ask me. :-)