GUIs

BlitzMax Forums/BlitzMax Programming/GUIs

JoshK(Posted 2007) [#1]
Does anyone have a GUI lib where the menus can extend beyond the bounds of the parent window (using a child window for the menu), and that doesn't look too different from a regular Windows interface?

N(Posted 2007) [#2]
Why not use a regular menu? All you'd have to do is handle the input code to determine when to open it and then do so.

Chroma(Posted 2007) [#3]
WB Noel!

N(Posted 2007) [#4]
Ok... I've been here for quite a while.

plash(Posted 2007) [#5]
WB Noel!

lol..

Ontopic - Nope, don't know of any GUI lib that does that. But like cower said, why not use a regular menu?

tonyg(Posted 2007) [#6]
If I understand what you're after then I think MaxGUI does this either with a normal menu, a seperate window or a child window.

jsp(Posted 2007) [#7]
A childwindow is not allowed to have a menu, it should use the menu from the parent window and can't moved outside it's parent. But yes, any other window can may serve you with a menu to do the job. Not sure how it should look like for you. Try this:

Winni(Posted 2007) [#8]
Two ideas:

- "Re-direct" clicking on a menu item to a pop-up menu; popups don't care for the window size.

- Use "<<" and ">>" buttons to implement a scrolling menu. Or make it even nicer, as Flashers would do it - the mouse hovering in the left or right corners will scroll the menu 'automagically'.

BUT: If you need a menu size bigger than your application window, then -maybe- there is something wrong with your entire user interface. Sounds like the typical Microsoft Overkill to me. Many Mac applications don't even need a menu. For example, I almost never use the menu in Aperture. Popup menus, yes, but not the regular application menu. Just a thought. ;-)