FMOD: Improved Spectrum Analyser?

BlitzMax Forums/BlitzMax Programming/FMOD: Improved Spectrum Analyser?

Grisu(Posted 2007) [#1]
Hi guys!

Anyone here that ever made a Winamp(tm) like spectrum anaylser with fmod?

So far I have only managed to come up with this. But that's not half as good as it should be... :/

Example: (you need a tune and the fmod.dll inside your folder!)

Another problem is that when I turn down the volume of a tune the size of the spectrum bars shrinks accordingly. Any way to prevent that from happening? (So that the maximum width and height stay the same all time.)

Thanks in advance!
Grisu

Gabriel(Posted 2007) [#2]
Can you not just divide the values returned into your static bank by the current volume as you draw the bars? Thus keeping the bars relative to the total volume at all times?

Grisu(Posted 2007) [#3]
Not quite sure what you mean Gabriel. Let alone know how to implement that.

Why would i divide the value, wouldn't that decrease the total output. Sorry, I'm a newb in terms of this audio stuff.

Gabriel(Posted 2007) [#4]
What I mean is this :

If the volume is 1

OriginalBarheight/1= OriginalBarheight

If the volume is 0.5

Barheight/0.5 = Barheight*2 = OriginalBarheight

If the volume is 0.25

Barheight/0.25 = Barheight*4 = OriginalBarheight

If the volume doesn't come as a decimal fraction then yes, it would make it smaller, in which case you'd have to turn it into a decimal fraction. ( EG: If volume can be 0-50 where 50 is the highest you'd have to divide the volume by 50 to get the decimal fraction.

In which case you'd simplify and end up with

CurrentBarheight=OriginalBarheight/MaxVolume*CurrentVolume

Czar Flavius(Posted 2007) [#5]
What would happen if the sound was muted, or set to 0?

MrTAToad(Posted 2007) [#6]
For my game (http://www.nicholaskingsley.co.uk/FightTune), I use the following code :

Which produces 4 bars

For waveform, I used :

However, this will only work with the latest version of FMOD

Gabriel(Posted 2007) [#7]
What would happen if the sound was muted, or set to 0?

You'd do what ( I hope ) you always do when dividing by an unknown variable. Put an If..EndIf around it to make sure it isn't zero.

Grisu(Posted 2007) [#8]
Thanks everyone. Slowly getting there. Still looking for the winamp fading effect when the bars are displayed.

Big&(Posted 2007) [#9]
Is this what you mean Grisu?

EDIT:Pasted the wrong source first time :)

Grisu(Posted 2007) [#10]
Thanks a lot Andy! That is what I meant... :o)

LAB[au](Posted 2007) [#11]
Best is to run spectrum analysis on the playing sound buffer. It's not dependent from the volume settings, since it is outputted to the mixing buffers which are the ones which are affected by volume settings. So dividing by the volume level becomes useless.