Trouble with debugbuild

BlitzMax Forums/BlitzMax Programming/Trouble with debugbuild

xMicky(Posted 2007) [#1]
With my current project (21 modules, 3,99 MB sourcecode) I am experiencing increasing problems with the .exe done with option "Debugbuild =TRUE" : always once in a while the exe stops running, just vanishing without any error messages either in a message box or in the Max IDE's Output-Tab. This behaviour is not restricted to a single combination of PC/Graphic card/RAM-combination as I tested out. Building the exe with Debugbuild =FALSE causes no problems, the program runs under all of its features (its an engine project) without problems.

I searched the forum under the keyword "Debugbuild" and "Debugmode", but so far nobody else seems to have made similar experiences. Therefore I would like to ask the express question, whether also other users have this made the same experience.

FlameDuck(Posted 2007) [#2]
Nope. However sometimes when I quit an .exe (Release or Debug, doesn't seem to make any difference) Explorer will crash.

SebHoll(Posted 2007) [#3]
I have had this problem too. It occasionally happens when I introduce a bug that would usually throw an exception error (e.g. attempting to access a field or method of a null object) however in debug mode, it just seems to silently terminate itself without highlighting the problematic line of code or starting the debugger. The IDE responds as if 'End' has been called, i.e. you programatically planned for the program to close.

It doesn't happen all the time, but in some bizarre instances it does. I haven't said anything so far because, well, I can't construct a simple source file that exhibits the probelm - it only occurs in random cases in my large project! :-(

Raph(Posted 2007) [#4]
Usually when this happens to me, it's a crash somewhere inside a DLL.

Gabriel(Posted 2007) [#5]
Any chance you could run it on another IDE? I used to have issues like this with MaxIDE but I've never once had such an issue with Blide.

xMicky(Posted 2007) [#6]
Thanks for the response.

What SebHoll said is my problem too: It happens by chance and without a hint from the program it is nearly impossible to guess the cause, if your project reaches a certain size. But I will have a look for possible access attempts to Null objects now.

I also shall try out Blide, up till now I have avoided the effort to get familiar with a new development environment, since MaxIDE was enough for my purposes ;)