Windows Vista Compatibility

BlitzMax Forums/BlitzMax Programming/Windows Vista Compatibility

Chugs40(Posted 2007) [#1]
Recently I have discovered from a source that all of my Blitzmax apps have graphics issues running in windows Vista. Similar to problems I had experienced before with white blocked images and or blotchy images.

I have compiled using all of the bmax drivers available as well as no driver at all. To which all cause problems.

Has any one else had these problems? If someone can shed some light on this subject please let me know.

The Games are:
Attack of the Techno Mutant Space Bees
Huck's Rocket Boot Hero
Jack-o's Revenge
Burgeroids

If anyone has Vista please play test these for any errors and let me know the results. I would like to
resolve these issues.

Downloads can be found on my home page here: http://www.hsretrogames.com

*(Posted 2007) [#2]
testing Elite Multiplayer on a Vista laptop and one of me alpha testers machines my game seems to run at 60fps (as expected :) ) on Vista.

Dreamora(Posted 2007) [#3]
No problem with BM on any REAL Vista system!

Vista Capable by the terms of definition means: to trashy for Vista but the builder wanted to sell it anyway. (No idea who at MS came up with this rating which is clearly inacceptable)

Thats what I learned from my tablet which is vista capable but with a GPU in it, that is no full WDDM conform and therefor does not get WDDM drivers -> no OpenGL forever (just as an example. any bm opengl and MiniB3d sample just bomb out)

Chugs40(Posted 2007) [#4]
Just so every one knows I wasn't trying to bash BM at all, my words came out wrong. It's just a graphics issue.

I wanted some input on what I might be doing wrong....

I just need some people to run a couple of the games I mentioned under Vista and let me know what they see so I can correct it :)

JazzieB(Posted 2007) [#5]
The first thing you need to do is get the specs of the machines that your apps don't appear to be running on. Just because Vista is installed, doesn't mean it's Vista's fault. Ask for graphics hardware, VRAM and driver versions.

I develop in BMax under Vista and don't have any problems at all, nor have I experienced any problems with other peoples' games/apps that I have tried in the past. I don't really have time to test your games right now, but I'm pretty sure I won't have any issues with them.

The only thing to note with Vista is that it is more important than ever (especially at the moment) to ensure that a user is aware that their graphics and sound drivers need to be up to date. I suspect that this is where your users are having problems.

Dreamora(Posted 2007) [#6]
Sadly there are chips like Intel GMA900 that don't meet the gpu sheduling needed for WDDM signification and therefor they don't have any real vista drivers at all.
Yet those GPUs (is it fair to call this CPU to VGA adapter a GPU?) still lead to Vista capable systems although they are clearly incapable of handling Vista.

Chugs40(Posted 2007) [#7]
Thanx for the input guys.

I worked out all the graphics bugs in the programs in the past and haven't had any problems. The case usually is old drivers and/or wrong hardware settings. which is what I told the guy.

The guy is friend of mine I will have to take a look at his machine again and maybe update some drivers or settings :)

Any one know of any external drivers I could find?

The bottom line is I have never had them tested In Vista yet and need a little feedback incase there are any inconstistancies :)

Dreamora(Posted 2007) [#8]
External drivers? whats that?

If you want to link the common graphic card drivers, link nvidia.com, the ati download page as well as intel support page (more specific is only of partial help)

Chugs40(Posted 2007) [#9]
Bad choice of words again...

I meant updated drivers for graphics cards for ATI or Nvidia etc. Not BM drivers at compile time. I guess I will look them up myself.