MPEG movie playback working

BlitzMax Forums/BlitzMax Programming/MPEG movie playback working

PantsOn(Posted 2007) [#1]
Hi

Just thought I would let you know that I've managed to get movie playback working.

Its still in its infancy days.
-There is no sound playback and probably will never be. In the example there is a way around this.
-No memory clean up.
-Movies can only start at the beginning.
-No fullscreen mode.
-Movies have to be in true MPEG format (otherwise decompression noise will exist)

you can download the module and examples at
http://www.pantson.com/mods/index.php

I will keep you updated with the progress of this.

Kev(Posted 2007) [#2]
works fine here under windowsxp, i wrote a module some time back for mpeg playback but could never get the sound working. it worked by adding each frame to a pixmap and storing them for later use, hence with large movies it became very slow at processing the frames.

good look with this :)

kev

PantsOn(Posted 2007) [#3]
this just streams mpegs so memory is minimal

plash(Posted 2007) [#4]
I always wondered, why doesn't blitzmax have official support for directshow movie playback?

xlsior(Posted 2007) [#5]
I always wondered, why doesn't blitzmax have official support for directshow movie playback?

Most likely because DirectSho is windows only, and so far everything in Blitzmax is cross-platform.

mongia2(Posted 2007) [#6]
thanks it works in win xp!

PantsOn(Posted 2007) [#7]
This has been tested on Windows XP and Mepis (not all versions of linux). All looks good so far...

Once I get this finalised.. I'll look at Theora playback support

jhans0n(Posted 2007) [#8]
It looks like there's no Mac version included. Any possibility of one in the future?

PantsOn(Posted 2007) [#9]
This is still in beta and have only compiled it for Linux and Windows... hopefullt it will work no problem on MAC when finished.

PS my dad is called J Hanson (spooky), unless of course you are my dad ;-)

jhans0n(Posted 2007) [#10]
I'd be happy to compile it on my PowerPC Mac for you, if you don't have one available. I've been hoping for something like this to come out for a while and would love the chance to try it out.

As for your dad being J Hanson too, I'm pretty sure we're not one and the same. You'd have to be pretty young, since I'm in my 20's. :)

degac(Posted 2007) [#11]

Movies have to be in true MPEG format (otherwise decompression noise will exist)

What do you mean?
With the media test you provided it works perfectly, I've tested with mine but nothing - only a garbage image.
I've changed size (width and heigth) and put FPS=25, some better results but not a full image...
Suggestions?

jhans0n(Posted 2007) [#12]
Maybe he means you need to follow MPEG-1 guidelines - 352x240 resolution, 29.97 fps, 1.5Mbps

degac(Posted 2007) [#13]
Oh! ok - I found the problem: I have a mpg-2 352x288 (25 frame per second) with more than 1.5 Mbps....
Thanks

jhans0n(Posted 2007) [#14]
Well, MPEG-1 352x288 with 25 fps should work too, since that's the PAL spec. The one I quoted was the NTSC spec.

degac(Posted 2007) [#15]
Mumble-mumble...
after messing up my hard drive for some movie, downloading all the software to encode to mpg-1 I just discovered that the supplied test movie is MPEG 2 format!!!
So...I have made some test in mpg2 format and voitlĂ  - it works (and setting FPS doesnt' affect the playing...I don't understand).
To be honest I changed a little bit the source adding Pixmap to Image conversion to allow scaling to a proper size (viewing a movie 328x576 pixel is not so interesting...)

By the way it's working...
Many thanks