Wishlist (my go?)

BlitzMax Forums/BlitzMax Programming/Wishlist (my go?)

tonyg(Posted 2007) [#1]
Official versions of :
1) Icon support
2) Render-To-Texture/Imagebuffers
3) Textured Poly
4) Streaming audio
5) Video
Bmax is already super to use but, imo, these would make it the best 2D Programming Language around.

FlameDuck(Posted 2007) [#2]
1) Multithreading.
2) Python bindings.

tonyg(Posted 2007) [#3]
1) Multithreading

Answer by Mark

FlameDuck(Posted 2007) [#4]
I know, thanks. It's still the only thing I feel is really missing in BlitzMAX, that I can't get through a third party, and that I really, really NEED.

ImaginaryHuman(Posted 2007) [#5]
Should we be asking what each of us needs, or should we be asking what would be best for BlitzMax? ;-)

Personally I'd like to see big improvements to Max2D and many more drawing functions plus some textures polygons and function folding/auto-complete type stuff in the ide.

H&K(Posted 2007) [#6]
I would like some acreditation of acceptance for the 3rd party Mods, so that (For example), we dont have to wait for a BRL render to texture, Indiepaths (or who-ever), get an official thumbs up.

In fact a thread board just for third party mods would probably solve most of this. Except for the mutithreading and new GC etc. But definatly Icon support, and the like

Raph(Posted 2007) [#7]
Having a single gathering place for mods would be really crazy valuable. I ended up scouring the net to find everything, and mods regularly vanish and stop being available. I now make it a habit to grab whatever I see show up here and keep a local copy in case it goes away later.

Grisu(Posted 2007) [#8]
Isn't there another wishlist topic already?

Perhaps we should make a sticky one only.

tonyg(Posted 2007) [#9]
Isn't there another wishlist topic already?

There is and Mark replied to the author's wishlist and none of the others. Thinking I might have a chance if I got in quick I posted my own.

degac(Posted 2007) [#10]
I agree for a Mod's thread - only one place to looking for possible solutions...it could be a good idea.

Multithreading

Can someone explain me HOW it should works - if it could be possible of course! - in a plain blitzmax source code?
I mean: I know (if I'm correct) that base concept of multithreading is the possibility to create 'parallels processes' that (can) share a work (or do something different) in (quite) the same frame-time.
But from source code this means that you need to check and sync all the works?

imaginative-code
t1:tthread=CreateThread()
t2:tthread=CreateThread()

'one thread for loading image/movie 
UseThread(t1)
image:timage=LoadImage(url...)
'the second one thread for loading sound/music
UseThread(t2)
sound:tsound=LOadSound(url...)

and then?

Yes! I can't imagine how it should could work...In my opinion (execept for some specific cases) multithreading is only a mess.

FlameDuck(Posted 2007) [#11]
Having a single gathering place for mods would be really crazy valuable.
Good idea. However until this happens:
I would like some acreditation of acceptance for the 3rd party Mods
I don't see the later standing much of a chance. Sorry.

Can someone explain me HOW it should works - if it could be possible of course! - in a plain blitzmax source code?
Sure.
Type LoadImageASync Extends TImage Implements IRunable

Field resNme:String
	Field isDone:Int = False

Method Syncronized Run() 'The whole object is considered a critical section
		isDone = False
		resource = load(resName)
		isDone = True
	EndMethod

Method setName(sName:String)
		Syncronized(resNme) ' This is a critical section
			resNme = sName
		EndSyncronized
	EndMethod
EndType
You would then invoke it like so:
lias = new LoadImageASync
lias.setName("myImage.png")
lias.Start() ' Invokes the "Run" method.
' Do other stuff, while Image is loading in seperate thread.
DrawImage lias.getImage(),0,0
The getImage method can be done either blocking (ie. it waits until the Run method is finished, and the image is loaded completely) or non-blocking (with a slightly modified Run method) where it simply returns Null if the Image hasn't loaded completely.

Ofcourse to do this safely you would need to have Interfaces, and preferably private/public access modifiers.

degac(Posted 2007) [#12]
ok - thanks. It seems a little bit complicated...

Brucey(Posted 2007) [#13]
This is fun :-)

1) Generics
2) Interfaces

A mods section sounds good to me too. At least to get an idea of what other mods are available out there. (Sure you can search the forums, but more often than not, you miss one).

:o)

Dreamora(Posted 2007) [#14]
There is a mods section, its called "BlitzMax Module Tweaks"

Brucey(Posted 2007) [#15]
BlitzMax Module Tweaks - A private forum for sharing source code modifications to the official BRL modules.

I suppose, if BRL took on all my modules, I could rename them BRL.xxxxxx then that would be the perfect place :-)

BRL, what d'ya think? :-)

Dreamora(Posted 2007) [#16]
why not check if you can get an official modserv access at the brl modserver for brucey ... at least for the cross plattform ones? :)
would make sync mode simpler through blide ;-)

Grey Alien(Posted 2007) [#17]
Auto-centre windowed mode (non-Max GUI)

Raph(Posted 2007) [#18]
There is a mods section, its called "BlitzMax Module Tweaks"

The description for that section specifically says that it is for modifications to the official modules, not for collecting new modules written by users. I imagine that most people don't post their mods there for that reason.

popcade(Posted 2007) [#19]
Doubt if Mark/Skid will ever read this, and how many on the list can be realized officially...

Boulderdash(Posted 2007) [#20]
@Grey Alien

I had to have the window centred in my Non-GUI window so I had no choice to modify the Module, Im prepared to write a standalone executable to "patch" the problem for users who want a way to centre the window

you could then just download the patch, run it, then rebuild your modules.

Grey Alien(Posted 2007) [#21]
Gav. It's OK thanks I know how to modify the module and how to centre externally from the module (but it flashes up non-centred for a millisecond or so). I just wanted an official module tweak that's all.

Dex(Posted 2008) [#22]
A texturePoly function would be great, still looking for a decent one

Ked(Posted 2008) [#23]
Way to resurrect.

Warpy(Posted 2008) [#24]
Dex- this works flawlessly for me.

smilertoo(Posted 2008) [#25]
Render/Draw to texture.
Chip sound support.

Dex(Posted 2008) [#26]
Thanks for the help warpy. Is ideal function and works fine for me until I try using SetScale, then it fails to scale correctly? any ideas? Guess this should be in different area of forum, kinda left the 'wish list' topic..