Vista and FreeAudio

BlitzMax Forums/BlitzMax Programming/Vista and FreeAudio

Pragun(Posted 2007) [#1]
For the record, I've tried searching =P.

I noticed a post or two about approximately a one second lag in sound in Vista. As I am getting a game published very soon, it needs to be Vista compatible. I am currently using BMAX's internal sound functions, which I believe someone referred to as FreeAudio. I really need to get this working soon. Is there a fix available or must I resort to completely rewriting any of my code that is related to sound? Thanks in advance!

Pragun(Posted 2007) [#2]
i said freeaudio directsound worked just fine...i retract that statement from this post. its SO crackly!

however, when i call audiodrivers, the only choices i am given are:
freeaudio
freeaudio multimedia
and freeaudio directsound

even after calling the openAL-enabling command, it doesnt show up on the list. any ideas? i'd like to use that instead. thanks!

skidracer(Posted 2007) [#3]
If you have done a syncmods in the last few months and are not using framework (or explicitly importing brl.directsound if you are) you will be able to select the DirectSound audio driver (not to be confused with the freeaudio directsound software mixing driver):

SetAudioDriver "DirectSound"

I'm hoping this driver will be set as the default device in the next BlitzMax update for Windows users.

re openal, to add a little to the confusion, you need to call EnableOpenALAudio() to enable the openal driver...

Pragun(Posted 2007) [#4]
hi skidracer, thanks for the reply. I did call EnableOpenALAudio() beforehand but it still hadn't shown up in the list. and as per the other stuff, I was using the framework command but ill try what you said.

FlameDuck(Posted 2007) [#5]
I did call EnableOpenALAudio() beforehand but it still hadn't shown up in the list.
You also have to actually have OpenAL installed.

Grey Alien(Posted 2007) [#6]
Yeah you need the OpenAL Dll files (x2) in the same folder as the game (or installed in windows) for EnableOpenALAudio() to add the OpenAL options to the list AND you have to have Syncmodded. I've found a bug in OpenAL which I'm trying to make a test app to see if I can get it fixed before I make it standard for Vista (yes DirectSound is noisy and FreeAudio has a huge delay).