How to - limited day trial executable

BlitzMax Forums/BlitzMax Programming/How to - limited day trial executable

Boulderdash(Posted 2007) [#1]
This is not a tutorial LOL, im hoping you can help me.

I want to make a BlitzMax limited time trial

popcade(Posted 2007) [#2]
!!NOTE!!
Methods I talked about is Win32 only, and I don't touch Linux/Mac currently.

Many people here using Armadillo with good result.

Search Armadillo you should see many way to integrate it.

I'm using MoleBox + Obsidium, that's about same budget, plus MoleBox has packing abilities.

Filax(Posted 2007) [#3]
What the better ? Molebox or Obsidium ?

Amon(Posted 2007) [#4]
It looks a bit amatureish. How does it compare with Armadillo?

Boulderdash(Posted 2007) [#5]
I only briefly tested EXEPROTECTOR :-)

Boulderdash(Posted 2007) [#6]
It will be a week or two before I get round to it knowing me

MGE(Posted 2007) [#7]
The more you worry about piracy the less time you have for writing your next awesome project. ;)

Boulderdash(Posted 2007) [#8]

Torrente(Posted 2007) [#9]
The average (Non-criminal) user won't mess around with assembly to hack your software, like that link shows.

Boulderdash(Posted 2007) [#10]
True

SLotman(Posted 2007) [#11]
Any standard solution to protect something, will have a standard solution to un-protect it.

The best thing is to do a limited (feature-wise) demo - not a time trial, and then just sell the full version on a separated download.

Nothing will stop people from copying and distributing serial keys or your full version, so there isnt much you can do about it :(

dmaz(Posted 2007) [#12]
what about something like this? have the demo not contain all the needed data or even just have a different exe. then instead of sending a key when payment arrives, have the demo patch itself or just send the buyer a new package. you could even set it up to compile a new "personal" (keyed (hidden)) exe for every purchase...

the only time it's hacker proof is when it's free.

Boulderdash(Posted 2007) [#13]
you can de-protect most commerical protections like armillido

Boulderdash(Posted 2007) [#14]
Perhaps I should use the shareware maker

computercoder(Posted 2007) [#15]
I actually like the feature restricted approach myself. But I can understand and see why you'd want to make it the time based trial ware. One download, and a registration vs two downloads and a registration.

I haven't gotten (yet) to the point where I need to concern myself with this type of stuff, so I appreciate the efforts you are making now, and to all those posting for their input.

Boulderdash(Posted 2007) [#16]
The nature of my particular program is that restricting features could be determental.
Thanks.