Call Python from BlitzMax?

BlitzMax Forums/BlitzMax Programming/Call Python from BlitzMax?

Picklesworth(Posted 2007) [#1]
I really, really like the Python bindings for certain libraries, so I came up with some extra features possible with Python to justify such a ridiculous move, and now I want to access Python scripts from BlitzMax!

I don't need Python functions to talk back to BlitzMax (except sending simple things in return values), but I would like to access Python somehow...

Even creating a shared library with Python would do, but Googling hasn't given me much. Is that possible?

Standard input and output spring to mind, but I am hoping for something more elegant.

Does a Python integration module exist? What would such a system entail?

skidracer(Posted 2007) [#2]
I started one, can't find the crossplatform version I got up to but this win32 version which links to static lib libpython24.a seems to still work:

mod/axe.mod/python.mod/python.bmx:
Rem
bbdoc: Python Programming Language
about:
Python is an interpreted object-oriented programming language.
End Rem
Module axe.python

ModuleInfo "Version: 2.4"
ModuleInfo "Authors: Guido van Rossum"
ModuleInfo "License: Python Software Foundation License Version 2"
ModuleInfo "Modserver: BRL"

Import "libs/libpython24.a"

Extern "C"
Function Py_Initialize()
Function PyRun_SimpleString(script$z)
Function Py_InitModule4:Byte Ptr(name$z,methods:Byte Ptr,doc:Byte Ptr,PyObject:Byte Ptr,apiver)
Function Py_Finalize()
Function PyArg_ParseTuple(PyObject:Byte Ptr,name$z)
Function Py_BuildValue:Byte Ptr(numtype$z,value)
End Extern

Const PYTHON_API_VERSION=1012

Const METH_OLDARGS=0
Const METH_VARARGS=1
Const METH_KEYWORDS=2
Const METH_NOARGS=4
Const METH_O=8

OnEnd Py_Finalize
Py_Initialize

Function Py_InitModule:Byte Ptr(name$,methods:Byte Ptr)
	Return Py_InitModule4(name,methods,Null,Null,PYTHON_API_VERSION)
End Function

test.bmx:
Import axe.python

PyRun_SimpleString("print~qpython thays hello!~q")

Print "hello!"

Beaker(Posted 2007) [#3]
Skid - have you had any joy getting PyRun_SimpleFile() to work? or any other call to run blocks of python code?

N(Posted 2007) [#4]
I tried this (writing a module) a while back, and honestly I have to say that Python's C interface is horrifying. It's a real messy system, and it's not that surprising since it's a very complex program behind the simple language. Anyway, I might give this a shot again later, although there might be some handy libraries out there to simplify the process.

I'll take a look, I suppose.

Beaker(Posted 2007) [#5]
I almost got PyRun_SimpleFile() to work but it looks like the code it tries to compile is a garble of non-readable characters. Can't really see why.