Vista Aero border possible?

BlitzMax Forums/BlitzMax Programming/Vista Aero border possible?

AlexZ(Posted 2007) [#1]
Ok, I have rummaged through the forums here and couldn't fine a working way how to retrofit an executable by BlitzMax to use Aero frames.

Currently, when I launch my game in Vista, it complains about not being able to run Aero theme and switches back to basic theme. While not a show stopper, my publisher wants it resolved asap.

Outside of Blide purchase... which I did but still have not recieved my login/code... is there a way to do this?

This must be done asap and help would be greatly appreciated.

Dreamora(Posted 2007) [#2]
Did you try to simply place a manifest file into the applications folder?

Without that, Windows theme will not work on any executable.

If that does not work, then you are out of luck, as BM bases on WinAPI UI calls (pure 2D through GDI), not .NET and DX like the Vista surface

Damien Sturdy(Posted 2007) [#3]
er. What? Has the behavior changed then? When I first used max in a beta of Vista, it worked fine in Aero... Hmmm.

AlexZ(Posted 2007) [#4]
Cygnus, can you post your manifest file and let me know which items to change for my exe? I have found some samples and they did not work.

My executable is jewels.exe, so I created a sample manifest file called jewels.exe.manifest that resided in the same directory as jewels.exe. But, Windows still switched over to Aero Basic from 3D.

Thank you.

Dreamora(Posted 2007) [#5]
What kind of window is it? ie is it using OpenGL drivers?

AlexZ(Posted 2007) [#6]
No, 2D game initialized by calling

Graphics 800, 600, 0, 60, GRAPHICS_BACKBUFFER

So I assume DX7 DirectDraw.

AlexZ(Posted 2007) [#7]
Ok, resolved. I got my BLIde license key and the publisher options take care of it for me.

Dreamora(Posted 2007) [#8]
strange ... so most likely a real manifest issue? ...

SebHoll(Posted 2007) [#9]
I made the XP manifest a resource object file, so you can quickly compile the manifest *within* your executable by simply calling Import "xpmanifest.o".

Download and put this file in the same directory as your source, then compile like normal.

NB: This is pretty much what BLIde Professional Publisher does automatically, except it allows you to add Product Name, Author, Publisher etc. details too.

dmaz(Posted 2007) [#10]
I'm not using a manifest and I don't have a problem with anything I've compiled on vista.... I have had a problem with some BMax programs I pulled over from my last computer. In my case I was suspecting the difference may be compiling with MaxGUI or not. I will do some testing when I get home if nobody else gets to it.

JazzieB(Posted 2007) [#11]
I've got no problems with the Aero interface either. I get it just fine. I also use BLIde (the free version) and MaxGUI,

Picklesworth(Posted 2007) [#12]
. (Ooops)

dmaz(Posted 2007) [#13]
ok, I can't get it not to work... gui or non-gui builds from vista run just fine for me. both were compiled using the CE edition of the IDE. But again, I have seen that problem where is turned off the Areo effects and that was from something I built on XP.