BLIde 0.9.x Release Candidate 1

BlitzMax Forums/BlitzMax Programming/BLIde 0.9.x Release Candidate 1

ziggy(Posted 2007) [#1]
EDIT: New version available here: http://www.blide.org/blide-0-9-x-rc2.rar

There is a first Release Candidate version of BLIde QW 0.9.x with the new BMX dedicated parser available for download. this version is OPEN to anyone wishing to test it.
Featuress:

* There is support for C++, C, HTML, XML and LUA files (BLide Plus required)

* Folding regions are updated on a separated thread, this can introduce some little delay updating folding regions. Nothing important once you get used to it, and it provides a huge parsing speed improvement.

* New Print options, much more complete including page size and printing options dialog.

* If sentences have folding, even on single line Ifs

* Using complete modules hilighting doesn't introduce any performance hit

* BLIde Professional Published directly included on BLIde for BLIde Plus Users

* Completely new Define Editor Colors and Look dialog. Now you can customize the editor colors and look for BMx files, LUA, XML, HTML, C, C++ and any available parser on BLIde

* Define editor colors and look is not a modal dialog any more, so you can define your color schema while you try it.

* New design for the Welcome page (it looks much better now IMHO)

* Parenthesis matching hilighting is now working on a 'temporal' hilighting mode

* Disabling folding makes BLIde parser work at nearly 0 CPU cost

* Vast improvement on parsing speed and real time AST nodes updating

* New Window menu with some additional arranging functions

* Some little memory leaks fixed

* And a lot of additional little changes I can't remember right now...

You can download the release candidate here :

* http://www.blide.org/blide-0-9-x-rc1.rar

This Release Candidate version can be installed alongside with current official stable release. It will not overwrite it.

If you have any other BLIde Beta Version, you will be requested to uninstall it before installing the RC1

It would be great to have feedback regarding usability and parsing speed, in addition to any BUG you get.

NOTE TO BLIDE PLUS USERS:
A new username and password is required for this BLIde Release Candidate version, if you're a BLIde Plus user and you want to test all the features of this BLIde version,please send me an email with your username and activation code, and I will send you the new activation code. I'm sorry for this, but the was a little security issue with the old activation algorithm.

GfK(Posted 2007) [#2]
I've only given it a ten-minute run with a fairly small project I recently started, but this is a massive improvement on the 0.8.x versions.

If I wasn't completely broke just now I'd send a few beer vouchers over.

SebHoll(Posted 2007) [#3]
Hi Ziggy,

Can you please e-mail me the updated BLIde Release Candidate username and password for my account?

Thanks

Seb

AlexO(Posted 2007) [#4]
Does this version still open up every .BMX file when you open a Blide project? For larger projects it's really annoying as I'd rather have it just open the last files I had open on the last save. Not sure if there's an option to turn this off or not.

ziggy(Posted 2007) [#5]
@Gfk: Thanks for the feedback!

@Seb: Mail sent. Once you register for version 0.9., older versions will be unregistered, so keep your old username and activation code in case you need to roll back to BLIde 0.8.17 b

@.Alex: This version only opens the main BMX file of every program in a project. It doesn't remember your last opened tabs when reloading a project, but this is subject to change very very soon.

SebHoll(Posted 2007) [#6]
Heh Ziggy,

Thanks for the e-mail, just downloaded and installed BLIde QW RC 1 and activated BLIde Plus, but I'm getting that problem with loading projects again that you fixed in 0.8.17b. It eventually loads (after a few minutes) probably because of the mammoth speed increase of the parser you were telling us about but it's still annoying.

So looks like I'm sticking with the stable 0.8.17b for now. Oh, and I know this is really lazy but could you add the default BlitzMax editor color scheme (like in 0.8.17b) to the default list included as that is still my favourite, and it would mean I could change quickly to it... :-)

Cheers

Seb

SebHoll(Posted 2007) [#7]
The other thing that I should mention is that the Online Bug Analyser can't seem to understand one line methods/functions, e.g.
Method SayHello();Print "Hello";EndMethod
This was a problem in previous releases of BLIde too.

Thanks

dmaz(Posted 2007) [#8]
tabs seems to be broken... it doesn't change no matter what I set it to.

Filax(Posted 2007) [#9]
Hi Ziggy :)

Did you receive my email for the blide 0.9 key ? Can't wait
to play with this :)

Thanks !

Paul "Taiphoz"(Posted 2007) [#10]
Does anyone else have problems running this on XP 64?

ziggy(Posted 2007) [#11]
@dmaz: Tab size is fixed at 4 spaces, I'm fixin it for the next RC.

@Filax: The email has been sent.

@Seb: I'm fixing the single line declarations on the online bug analizer, and them will be added on next versions. I'm also adding the same fix that was available on 0.8.17 b. I will send you a 'fixed' EXE just to confirm it is fixed, becouse I can't reproduce this bug here.

@Yavin: I think you're the only user reporting this issue. I'm not sure what can be causing this. If you can provide more information, I could take a deeper look.

Filax(Posted 2007) [#12]
Many thanks ziggy :)

GfK(Posted 2007) [#13]
Quick Q: What's the "online bug analyser" actually for? Every time I install a new version of BLIde, I just get rid of it because I don't know what it does.

GfK(Posted 2007) [#14]
Um... slightly embarrassing this. I found a typo in the BLIde tips (actually there's a few here, but one main one!):
You can comment a block of text, just [by] pressing Crtl [Ctrl] + M, and you can uncomment a Block of selected text, [by] pression [pressing] Shit [Shift]+Ctrl+M

Should probably fix the one in bold, at least. ;)

Damien Sturdy(Posted 2007) [#15]
Oooh, Can't wait to try this!

ziggy(Posted 2007) [#16]
Yes!
hahahah
I'm sorry for this. Please feel free to correct my english, I'll fix it for next release. This typo has been there for about a year...
:D
Thanks Gfk

ziggy(Posted 2007) [#17]
@Gfk: This window informs of duplicated type declarations and unclosed / unmatched blocks, unmatched parenthesis or opened literals in the code.

Copy and paste this code, and take a look to the online bug analizer
Type Hello
    Method DrawSomething()
    End Method
End Type
Type Hello
End Type
Type BugCode
   Field Var1:int = 5
   Method DrawThis:String(Name:Test
        Local A:String = "Hello world! + self.Var1
        Drawtext("This is a piece of text",5,5)
   End MEtod
End Type

In current version, this window doesn't show much information, but this will be improved on next versions

GfK(Posted 2007) [#18]
Oh I see. That's quite good. :)

Damien Sturdy(Posted 2007) [#19]
GfK, can't believe you missed this feature :D

GfK(Posted 2007) [#20]
Well, like I said, I didn't know what it did.

My laptop (that I do most of my dev work on now) only goes up to 1024x768, so I tend to close as many BLIde panels as possible so I get more space for editing.

Damien Sturdy(Posted 2007) [#21]
Ziggy, if you want typos, I've found lots and lots ;)

Like in the console window when compiling a program. (i'm not there now and can't remember whats misspelt.) hehe.

ziggy(Posted 2007) [#22]
Send me an email (or 100 emails) and I will be more than pleased to correct them. I'm not native english so I'm sure there are tones of them!

Muttley(Posted 2007) [#23]
Initial impressions are very good. The whole thing seems a lot faster overall. One problem I have spotted is that the command tooltips and info lines don't like Functions statements that are spilt onto different lines. For example, with the following the tooltip only shows the first variable:

Function Create:TLogFile( filename:String="logfile.log",..
description:String="Log File",..
LogLevel:Int = LOG_ERROR,..
timestampFormat:Int = LOG_TIME,..
Overwrite:Int = True,..
MaxLogFileSize:Int = 104857600 )

This existed in 0.8 too but I was waiting to see if you'd fixed it in 0.9 before reporting. :)

Cheers

Muttley

ziggy(Posted 2007) [#24]
@Muttley: I know this issue, and it will be improved for next versions.

dmaz(Posted 2007) [#25]
no problem here with vista 64.

2 requests though...
function tips only seem to popup when you use a ( following the function name. it would be great if it would do that for a space as well. I only use ( when I'm getting a value back from the function.

tooltips... they can get in the way... it would also be great if we had the option to have turn off tooltips under the mouse but show the information in a static location as a new panel.

well, one more that's much harder. I was in the process of doing this for my codebox that I stopped working on. how about instead of intellisense you have the option of inline completion like a cell phone? the token would be completed in a different color while the cursor would stay at it's location until you pressed the completion key. so say I type "func" the completion would insert "tion". I could continue typing over or just hit return to complete the word?

ziggy(Posted 2007) [#26]
@dmaz: I will take this suggestions for next versions. I think they are good ideas. Anyway, I'm focusing development on fixing issues to release the final BLIde 0.9.x, when BLIde 0.9.x gets stable enough, I will start making new features, or improving existing ones.

Paul "Taiphoz"(Posted 2007) [#27]
I have it installed in the max directory, that and it running on windows XP 64 are the only things I can think of that is causing problems..

Iv got duel core 64 bit amd, and a GF 7600 GS so power should not be an issue.

ziggy(Posted 2007) [#28]
@Yavin: That's weird...
Can you try making a full installation in the BLIde default install location? I don't think it has something to do with this issue, but it would be great to discart it before looking into anything else.

Paul "Taiphoz"(Posted 2007) [#29]
I did an install in a diff location outside of the max path and it works now.

ziggy(Posted 2007) [#30]
mmm... that's weird... !!!!! Anyway, I'm glad to see it is working now.

SebHoll(Posted 2007) [#31]
Hi Ziggy,

The version you sent me seems to load the project fine, although the main source file appeared and then closed as you said it would. I could then open any of the project files and it would open lightning fast.

Unfortunately though, I have many long source files in the project and after opening about 11 of them simultaneously in the different tabs, when opening the 11th, BLIde crashes pretty much like it does when the project opens, and has yet to recover after 5 minutes. :-S

Thanks

Seb

ziggy(Posted 2007) [#32]
What do you mean by 'long files' ? Is there any chance to get this source code to make some tests? Can you tell me if disabling the folding (preferences) fixes it?

dmaz(Posted 2007) [#33]
yeah, that's all I was hoping for. thanks.

Damien Sturdy(Posted 2007) [#34]
Absolutely awesome Ziggy! When that debug error used to popup that the program was no longer running, and then crash- is no longer an issue in this release. The error pops up BUT blide happily continues on its way afterwards. :-)

Might be worth making that error pop-up happen just once if you can ;)

ziggy(Posted 2007) [#35]
@Cygnus: I'm working on this for the RC 2. What's the text of the message exactly?

@Seb: Any chance to get more info on the blide freezing bug with your project?

SebHoll(Posted 2007) [#36]
Hi Ziggy,

Only just saw your reply. I've tried to recreate the problem but I can't get it to happen again. Sorry - I know it's hard to find bugs when you don't know exactly under what circumstances they occur. Will let you know, if it happens again.

One tiny thing is that when you start up BLIde or close a project, the window title is:

' - BLIde Plus QW...' (i.e. there is an unnecessary ' - ')

Only a minor thing though, (oh and Blitz color scheme too please) ;-)

Thanks

Damien Sturdy(Posted 2007) [#37]
Ziggy: I'm not home but I think it says:

"Cannot debug because the application is no longer running." Will confirm when I get back.

ziggy(Posted 2007) [#38]
@Cygnus: As it is a little bit complicated to handle this issue due cross thread interoperation, I've changed this message and now it is displayed on the console window, so you won't have to close all that warnings when the application stops at the middle of a debug operation. I will improve this, but by now, it makes the trick.

@Everyone:
Next BLIde version will remember opened tabs and cursor position of each tab for all the files in a project. Anyway, BLIde project files will be, as always, backwards compatible with older versions. And it will solve all this little still remaining bugs on RC1

Big&(Posted 2007) [#39]
Great work again ziggy.

I get an error when I try to load a single blitzmax file while I have a project loaded. The error is:

There was an error loading this file. Cannot access a disposed object. Object name:"LoadingProject"

This works fine when there is no project loaded.

Damien Sturdy(Posted 2007) [#40]
Excelent Ziggy, thanks :)

ziggy(Posted 2007) [#41]
@Big&: Does it happens always with all projects and all single blitzmax files? I can't reproduce it here, but I've been solving some issues on the project loading code for the RC2, so maybe It was a side effect of something I've already fixed... Any additional info?

Big&(Posted 2007) [#42]
Yes ziggy, it seems to. I tried creating a couple more projects and it does the same thing. The other projects I created where with different source files too.

Muttley(Posted 2007) [#43]
Found another minor bug. The BlitzMax help button doesn't do anything. :)

ziggy(Posted 2007) [#44]
It was reported and it will be fixed for the RC2, also the back and forward buttons are broken and have been fixed.

Thanks for reporting.

ziggy(Posted 2007) [#45]
New RC version available (RC1 0003)

Changes and fixes:

* This version restores the coding session when a project is re-loaded, that is, all the opened tabs and cursor position for each tab.

* Fixed a bug that when a big project with big files was loaded could make BLIde become irresponsive.

* Improved Online Bug analizer to understand properly the ; operator

* Fixed: Tab size is again properly customizable from the preferences dialog

* Multiline function and method declarations are now understood by the AST engine.

* Mouse over word tooltips can be turned off in the preferences dialog

* Fixed a Debug message box when the debug engine was recursivelly called and the application had eneded.

* Fixed a bug loading a single BMX file when a project was already loaded

* Blide Plus now supports VBScript with an advanced AST parser

* BLIde Plus now supports JavaScript with an advanced AST parser

* BLIde Plus now supports SQL with an advanced AST parser

* BLIde Plus now supports J# with an advances AST parser

* BLIde Plus now suports Python with a regular parser

* BLIde Plus now suports Assembler source code with a regular parser

To install this new RC version:

-Uninstall any previous BLIde BETA (you can still leave the official BLIde 0.8.17 b)

-If there's a file called parser.blif in your BLIde Beta installation folder, please, delete it

-Install the new version (download here: http://www.blide.org/blide-0-9-x-rc2.rar )

Please report any unspected behaviour or bug

Note that the first time you load a project created with a previous BLIde version, there will not be any opened TAB after the project is loaded. That's desired behaviour as BLIde project files saved with previous versions are not reporting any opened TAB.

As always, BLIde project files are backwards compatible with previous BLIde versions.