New IDE dog slow

BlitzMax Forums/BlitzMax Programming/New IDE dog slow

Boulderdash(Posted 2007) [#1]
just lost a chunk of code from the start of my project by bumping a key or SOMETHING, does anyone else find the IDE abit on the slow side highlighting text and such these days?

Boulderdash(Posted 2007) [#2]
Yes I tried Undo and nothing happened

Picklesworth(Posted 2007) [#3]
New IDE?

Oh, any these complaints are pretty irrelevant. Mark is already obviously working on a new IDE, and there are many others to choose from. (The community IDE - version 2 is quite good -, and BLIde).

Brucey(Posted 2007) [#4]
How much code do people generally type before saving?

On *any* platform/IDE/editor, I save often. You just never know.

As for the IDE... it works pretty well, generally.

LarsG(Posted 2007) [#5]
on the same note; any of you guys know when the new IDE, which Mark is working on, is going to be released?

GfK(Posted 2007) [#6]
How much code do people generally type before saving?
Personally, every 10 minutes or so. Also manually back up to another drive at the end of each day.

any of you guys know when the new IDE, which Mark is working on, is going to be released?
He said about a month (about a month ago). Or in other words, I dunno.

siread(Posted 2007) [#7]
But what are people using on Macs?

tonyg(Posted 2007) [#8]
Hmmm what IDE and what new version of it?
I've got the same query as everybody else... how can you lose 'days' of work? Surely you close the IDE and say 'Yes' to save at some point? What about the .bak file unless you turned that option off?

Chroma(Posted 2007) [#9]
Pretty sure it saves it every time you run it for testing right?

Fry Crayola(Posted 2007) [#10]

The community IDE for me, on all platforms. Although I mostly just develop on a Mac at the moment.

I've had issues with IDEs before that can lose you a lot of work if you haven't backed up, the problem being that they garble entire files. I've not had such a problem since switching to the community IDE though.

GfK(Posted 2007) [#11]
Don't know, don't care. Haven't got a mac.

plash(Posted 2007) [#12]
Don't know, don't care. Haven't got a mac.

That's why x-platform has little support, no one really cares about mac/linux as much as windows.

dmaz(Posted 2007) [#13]
I use a modified community edition and haven't had one of these "lost code" events happen. But it does get slow when I haven't restarted the ide in a few weeks. the mac version of the same doesn't seem to have either of those problems but I don't use it as often.

Fry Crayola(Posted 2007) [#14]
But it does get slow when I haven't restarted the ide in a few weeks

You leave your computer on perpetually?

dmaz(Posted 2007) [#15]
yes I do. the only time it ever gets turned off is when I take it to a lan.

GfK(Posted 2007) [#16]
yes I do. the only time it ever gets turned off is when I take it to a lan.
Penguin murderer.

Dreamora(Posted 2007) [#17]
That's why x-platform isn't has little support, no one really cares about mac/linux as much as windows.

Why should they?
Apple decided it for themself to make a monopolistic closed OS, now they have to bite the apple they hatched.

And linux, no mather how much buzz they get, is still a tinkering OS as getting full hardware support running is a no go on most systems, haven't seen one where all the drivers where existing and worked without serious tweaking of system settings ...
So why support them? they have enough to do to make it a full desktop OS before they need some stuff to "play" and "take offtime" ...

beside that, casual gamers use Windows and OSX, not Linux, I fear ... So do the devs creating casual games and tools / libs to create such.

And no, please don't tell me BM can be used for serious applications. The UI module still needs a core rewrite to be taken serious, right now I'm forced to use PureBasic when I want UI stuff that works crossplattform and that does not just "pretend to do so"

Grey Alien(Posted 2007) [#18]
I keep hitting Ctrl+S on auto-pilot every few minutes, and as Chroma says it saves on compile. In fact I tend to use compile as a sntax checker quite often.

Fry Crayola(Posted 2007) [#19]
I'm pretty much the same.

I've actually started hitting Ctrl-S when typing out particularly long forum posts. Which just tries to save the webpage. Utterly useless there, but a fine habit elsewhere.

Grey Alien(Posted 2007) [#20]
haha yeah, for long posts I sometimes save off in notepad as I've had some epics crash out on me when the forum isn't being reliable or worse, I hit BACK or something.

Blueapples(Posted 2007) [#21]

Apple decided it for themself to make a monopolistic closed OS, now they have to bite the apple they hatched.

Excuse me? All their development tools are free and come on the OS DVD (compare to MS which charges $800 dollars for Visual Studio Pro), and the core OS is open source. They also allow (encourage) you to run Windows on their hardware if you want to.

Ah, and the price of the OS is a third ($129.00) that of Windows Vista ($399.99) but has all of and even more features than Vista.

How's that monopolistic?

I didn't know MS-fanboys actually existed until this moment.

slenkar(Posted 2007) [#22]
its still a monopoly but a 'friendly monopoly'

Blueapples(Posted 2007) [#23]
A monopoly (from the Greek language monos, one + polein, to sell) is defined as a persistent market situation where there is only one provider of a product or service, in other words a firm that has no competitors in its industry.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monopoly

That in no way, shape or form describes Apple, Mac OS, or their development tools.

(tu) ENAY(Posted 2007) [#24]
> But what are people using on Macs?

Ketchup!