v1.24 woes?

BlitzMax Forums/BlitzMax Programming/v1.24 woes?

MGE(Posted 2007) [#1]
WTF? I do some simple straight forward demos using standard 2DMax stuff and already users are saying they can't run the demos? Am I missing something or is there known issues with 1.24?

MGE(Posted 2007) [#2]
I've tested my demos on 3 machines, each with a different video card. So far the only weird thing is some mouse lag (mousex,mousey) on one of them.

Azathoth(Posted 2007) [#3]
are the modules up to date? I thought the mouse lag got fixed.

MGE(Posted 2007) [#4]
Yep, up to date.

tonyg(Posted 2007) [#5]
What are the machine specs and where can we get the demos? It's tricky to suggest anything without this info.

MGE(Posted 2007) [#6]
On my machines they work fine, no probs at all. I don't have any specs from the users that said there was problems. One user said all they get is a screen with no movement, another said it just hangs, etc. Again, I'm just shocked because the code is just basic 2DMax, nothing fancy at all. The demos mentioned are available from my sig.

Dreamora(Posted 2007) [#7]
up to date means you used sync mod. the download is not up to date, just to mention that.

several issues have been fixed since 1.24 release and added to the modules to be synced

MGE(Posted 2007) [#8]
Yep, I've clicked on "Synchronize Modules" from the ide and it downloaded/installed a bunch of updates. That's it..right?

Grey Alien(Posted 2007) [#9]
yeah that's it.

MGE(Posted 2007) [#10]
Cool. Thanks!

coffeedotbean(Posted 2007) [#11]
try running the demo in OpenGL and DX see if 1 of the render is the issue.

MGE(Posted 2007) [#12]
Yah, that could be it. I was (and I'm still) shocked that there could be any problems so soon after buying the dev kit and just coding some simple demos. I would expect some quirks if I was doing custom mods, using external dll's etc, but jesh..I'm just throwing around some sprites with 2DMax and already I'm getting incompatibilitiy reports? Doesn't make me over excited to be honest.

SculptureOfSoul(Posted 2007) [#13]
You've got to remember Max2D is really 3D in 2D, and so really old machines with old video cards may not be able to run it at all. One of the computers at my workplace has an old integrated intel video card, and it bombs on anything running in OpenGL, and runs sluggish at best in DirectX.

Karja(Posted 2007) [#14]
If it's not a case of old machines: try posting some of the code - that's probably the best way to determine whether there's a specific bug somewhere, if there's a driver issue, or if you toss those sprites around in a strange and/or unintended manner.

After all, many games developed in Max have been published. If there was a general 2D compatibility issue I suspect (hope?) that people would be more vocal about it...

Grey Alien(Posted 2007) [#15]
I found that when it comes to old PCs, OpenGL is definitely flakey so my framework defaults to DX.

MGE(Posted 2007) [#16]
I realize 2DMax is utilizing 3D hardware. No need to panic yet, there's been quite a few downloads of the demos, if there was a stable problem or if something was broke I'm sure I would hear about it. I was just wondering if there was any offical bugs about 1.24. With PCs, I can live with the fact that a few percentage will have problems. ;)

Dreamora(Posted 2007) [#17]
There is no general bug.

Most bugs like that arise from 3 paths:

1. Unofficial (modded) graphic drivers for NVidia and AMD graphic cards. While they are a good idea, most of them removed the DX7 support from the drivers -> straight crash (on Omega Drivers for example) if you don't use OpenGL

2. Stone Age hardware which is just not able to do 2D through 3D on a level that does not go wacky or worse: hardware that makes DX think it is able to and is not (some older intel onboard as well as some SiS onboard)

3. OpenGL
Onboard in general disliked it heavily until 2 years ago (especially a problem as most of them are still used as intel onboard were and are the most sold graphic chip today with over 50% marketshare) and SiS still seems to have problem with it.

MGE(Posted 2007) [#18]
Thanks Dreamora!

TaskMaster(Posted 2007) [#19]
MGE Dev: Are you talking about the two demos of your framework on your site?

If so, then the first one (older one) that I am guessing you made with the free trial has the DirectX mouse lag issue.

The second one (I am guessing you made it with the release version of BM), does not have the mouse lag issue.

MGE(Posted 2007) [#20]
TaskMaster - Thanks for helping me realize that. That is the demo with the reported problems. The fact that it didn't happen on 2 out of 3 machines in my house threw me for a loop!! Thanks again. :)