Latest MinGW and Vista?

BlitzMax Forums/BlitzMax Programming/Latest MinGW and Vista?

Gabriel(Posted 2007) [#1]
Has anyone managed to get the latest version of MinGW working with Vista for building modules? I can't build the TV3D module without using the latest version of MinGW, so I'm kind of stuck otherwise.

Dabz(Posted 2007) [#2]
I cannot get it to work too Gabs mate, one reason I thought was that I duel boot XP and Vista, and Vista is on drive j:

Though it works perfectly when doing it on XP, which is drive C:!?!

I currently dont need MinGW, and if I ever did need to build a module, I'd just go back into XP and build from there.

Dabz

Matthew Smith(Posted 2007) [#3]
Don't know about using any other version of MinGW except the version Mark has suggested, but if you want to compile modules on Vista follow the instructions in the first post here:

http://www.blitzbasic.com/Community/posts.php?topic=67202

Dabz(Posted 2007) [#4]

Don't know about using any other version of MinGW except the version Mark has suggested, but if you want to compile modules on Vista follow the instructions in the first post here:

I have, about five times! :)

It did work when I first used Vista (With them instructions), but I reinstalled it along side a new installation of XP.

Then Vista was on C:, now its on J:... And I've done nothing different!?!

EDIT:Or so I thought... Just done what Amon mentioned, moved cc1,ccobj and ccplus to the bin folder... Works a charm now! D'oh

Dabz

Gabriel(Posted 2007) [#5]
I've done everything in that thread, and it doesn't help. I still get a simple yet vague "failed to compile tv3dwrapper.cpp".

Dreamora(Posted 2007) [#6]
does it depend on some windows stuff not present on vista at all?

Gabriel(Posted 2007) [#7]
I wouldn't have thought so. It would probably report what was missing instead of just saying "failed to compile blah.cpp"

Gabriel(Posted 2007) [#8]
Ok, here's a random thought. Would this work?

Suppose I forget about building it as a C++ module altogether. Suppose I compile the C++ section of the module in Dev C++ and create a static library. Then I rewrite the module to import the static library, so now the module only has BlitzMax code, no need for GCC to be there at all for it compile the module. Would this work?

Dreamora(Posted 2007) [#9]
If DevC++ uses a compatible MingW Version (GCC version), then yes, should work.

But still does not solve the problem if the vista problem comes from something not existing on vista anymore (some DX components or something similar)

Gabriel(Posted 2007) [#10]
Cool, it should be ok then because I can use a precompiled module just fine. I have the precompiled copy I send out to everyone and that is fine. It just won't get GCC to compile any C++ code, so if I compile it as a static lib and import, I think that should work around the problem until someone from BRL sorts this out properly.

EDIT: Ok, I can get DevC++ to compile the C++ side of the module into a static library, but when I come to import that library into the BMX side of the module, although it too compiles, I get undefined references to all the C++ stuff ( the classes within the DLL, not my static library. )

My Dev Project imports the lib.a that accompanies the DLL, but this doesn't seem to do anything. Any ideas what I'm doing wrong here?