BLIde 0.9.0 BETA 1 available

BlitzMax Forums/BlitzMax Programming/BLIde 0.9.0 BETA 1 available

ziggy(Posted 2007) [#1]
---------------------------------------------------------------------
EDIT second Beta Available here: http://www.blide.org/blide-0-9-1-beta.rar
----------------------------------------------------------------------

There a first BETA version of BLIde 0.9.0 with the new BMX dedicated parser available for download. This version has not 100% of the functionalities found on version 0.8.17b (current official stable release), but it provides a huge improvement on parsing speed.

Restrictions:
-Preferences dialog: some preferences are ignored by the new parser, this will be done in the BETA 2 version.

-Define editor colors and fonts: This section is being completly re-written, and it is not yet available. If you open it, you'll get a wonderful crash. Don't report it, it is a known issue we're fixing now.

-Split Views: Intellisense is only present on the main split view.

-Ctrl+Space is not suported yet. It is being rewritten to support some additional features.

-BLIde Plus is not suported. There will be a major BLIde Plus update soon with new security fixes and additional features

Diferences:
-There are some (very little) missing keywords such as DebugStop, and compiler directives such as ?Win32, ?MacOs, etc. Them willbe added on the BETA 2

-There is support for C++, C, HTML and XML files (this support is now available for beta-testing, but it will be restricted to BLIde Plus users). LUA is not yet supported in this first BETA

-Folding regions are updated on a separated thread, this can introduce some little delay updating folding regions. Nothing important once you get used to it, and it provides a huge parsing speed improvement.

-New Print options, much more complete including page size and printing options dialog.

-If sentences have folding, even on single line Ifs

-Using complete modules hilighting doesn't introduce any performance hit :D

-New (better) find and replace dialog with easier regular expressions and automatic detection of find replace window overlaping the found word (like in visual studio)

-Pressing Ctrl+k and then a number from 0 to 9 lets you create numbered bookmarks

-Loading of project has been speed up about 5 times, additionally to the new parsing speed

You can download the beta here:

server: ftp.blide.org
username: scy4250
password: beta

This BETA will not install in your current BLIde folder, it will be insalled on a different folder. both the BETA and the official latest stable release (0.8.17 b) can be installed in the same computer.

The first time you run the beta, it will tell you that the BLIde database is corrupted, so BLIde will restart and fix it automatically. That ok, becouse there's no database supplied with this BETA version. Don't report it as a bug, please.

It would be great to have feedback regarding usability and parsing speed, in addition to any BUG you get. Remember that as a BETA version it is recomended to try it using copies of your source code.

Damien Sturdy(Posted 2007) [#2]
I'll try this later.

is it safe to do so with v17 running?

ziggy(Posted 2007) [#3]
Yes, It safe. The only thing you can get is BLIde fixing internal databases more often (not always) when switching from one version to the other.

I would recomend not to use them at the same time. It should be safe, but it has not been tested.

Damien Sturdy(Posted 2007) [#4]
Ok, I'll try on another system first. good work :)

Derron(Posted 2007) [#5]
"BLIde.net 2.0 problem occoured and has to be shut down."

(or in my language: "BLIde.net 2.0 hat ein Problem festgestellt und muss beendet werden.")

So I'm not able to start the application, your former parser-test-applications worked fine.
My question: is some special (dated, like the different directx 9.0c versions floating around the internet) net2.0-framework needed? Or is it just a "alpha"-thingy?

If not... feel free to provide me with a "debug"-version which prints out some errors to catch the part making the app crash.

bye
MB

ziggy(Posted 2007) [#6]
It was a deployment bug (missing a DLL). Please, download it again.

ziggy(Posted 2007) [#7]
New Deployment of the BETA available with this compatibility issue fixed. It was a stupid and silly missing DLL error.

Now the BETA is available as a SETUP program, Installing the beta version of BLIde will not overwritte the current official one, so it is still safe to have both of them installed.

Let me know if it works as it should.

Once it is installed, you'll have a new subfolder in your start menu called BLIde QW Beta, launch the BETA from there.

This new release of the public beta can be downloaded in the FTP provided at first post, or directly here:
http://www.blide.org/blide-0-9-0-beta.rar

Derron(Posted 2007) [#8]
Some things (next to the working really well parts of the app).

Project Dependencies Tree: clicking on [+] of a file, opens the file in the mainwindow.

First load of my project files (8-9 files get opened on start): graphical glitches, some lines are drawn between normal textlines. Opening a new file and switching back to this files removes the glitch, if not opening a new file and just scrolling around keeps them. So I think its the "textarea" making problems when being redrawn.

But the rest: niiiice... parsing feels really like "not needed to do, just opening the file and present it to the user".

bye
MB

ziggy(Posted 2007) [#9]
The lines are the code separators visible at any end function or end method command. They are not updated when you switch from a document to another, unless the document is shown (and then parsed) for the firs time. I'll solve this, but it is a little visualization issue that automatically fixes if you start coding on the file.

To the project tree [+] I'll fix it, it was fixed before and I add it again by mistake.

Thanks for reporting, and let me know anything else you find :D

AdrianT(Posted 2007) [#10]
hey ziggy, just purchased Blide plus. Was wondering if it would be possible to let people add file types that blide can load?

Reason being that .XML files come with many file extensions.

Flow which currently uses CEGUI for UI stuff has XML script files withthese extensions:

.looknfeel
.Scheme
.layout
.imageset
.font

Plus LUA support :)

Thought it worth asking, since I cant get BLIDE to open them using the right click menu 'open with...'

I'll post in the forum when my account is activated :).

ziggy(Posted 2007) [#11]
@Evak:
Was wondering if it would be possible to let people add file types that blide can load?
It is not possible, but I will add this feature for next release. LUA support is there in the official version 0.8.17 b, and will be there in the next update with this new parser, but it is not yet available in this first BETA version.

Obviously I will make BLIde not to register this file types on windows, so you will need also to make the 'Open with' trick, but you can assign a fixed open with on windows if you want. the real trick is to let BLIde know wich parser it has to activate for any unknown extension (by default it uses the txt parser, but it would be great to tell BLIde that (in example) files with extension .myprefs uses the XML parser)

Michael Reitzenstein(Posted 2007) [#12]
Hi Ziggy,

Works great! I did (of course) encounter the bugs you mention but everything seems to be nice and snappy.

I did have a few feature requests...

It would be really cool to have a window that displays the expanded node of your current 'local shortcuts' for the currently open code file. Right now if you're editing more than one file its a bit cumbersome to expand all of that info, since you have to scroll up and down to open new files.

Secondly, it would be great to have a 'lock' mode, like the windows 'lock the taskbar' thing, that will disable moving windows around, changing settings etc. I often mess up the alignment of the toolbar or move the console or local shortcuts by accident.

Not sure how important these are in the scheme of things, but they'd be very nice to have.

ziggy(Posted 2007) [#13]
@Michael Reitzenstein: I will take a look to this two requests.
t would be really cool to have a window that displays the expanded node of your current 'local shortcuts' for the currently open code file.
I think the best way to do this would be to make the current local shortcuts node be selected, shown, expanded and scrolled to automatically when you enter the editor window of a speccific file.
it would be great to have a 'lock' mode, like the windows 'lock the taskbar' thing, that will disable moving windows around, changing settings etc
I think I could implement a 'lock windows' feature, but I'm not sure of what you mean by 'change settings'. Also, if BLIde locks windows, it has to be possible to open windows without having to 'unlock' and then 'lock again'. As an example, if I have the console closed, and run an application that performs an Input, the console has to be automatically opened to let the user enter information, if not, the application would be locked waiting for user response... I need to take a deep look to this, and find a practical way to develop it without loosing functionality. but, obviously, I will implement it. It is a very good Idea. Maybe the lock feature coud be addresed by disabling panels floatability?

Michael Reitzenstein(Posted 2007) [#14]
Hi Ziggy,

I think that's a great way, but could it auto close them as well (so you can chose other files more easily)? Also, it would be good if it scrolled the window down automatically to center the newly selected code file so all of its functions etc are on screen (although I think this is less important).

That's a good point about the locked windows stuff... I guess the answer is that if blide needs to open up the window internally, then it would act just as it does now or as it would in unlocked mode, it is only the user moving the windows around that will be ignored.

By settings I meant misc stuff like rearranging the menu toolbars or closing the console or another view window accidentally. Maybe I'm just really clumsy but it happens every time I use the editor and it's frustrating setting things back the way they were again.

Thanks for looking into them!

ziggy(Posted 2007) [#15]
well, I have a 'Lock Windows' ready for the next beta release, and a first approach to the local shortcuts thing. I think the next BETA will be ready next week or so. I really like the Lock Windows feature.

Muttley(Posted 2007) [#16]
Hi ziggy,

THis is not anything to do with the beta, but just to say that I've just registered BLIde, as although I've had a few niggles with previous versions which meant I stopped using it for a while, I think it's really coming together nicely now. Good work. :)

Cheers

Muttley

ziggy(Posted 2007) [#17]
Thanks Muttley, Versions prior to 0.8.x were very unstable becouse of some GDI issues with the text rendering engine used. Since then, everything is working much better, and this new parser will bring a performance boost to BLIde.

Hope you enjoy coding with it, and let me know any issue or whatever you find.

AdrianT(Posted 2007) [#18]
the real trick is to let BLIde know wich parser it has to activate for any unknown extension (by default it uses the txt parser, but it would be great to tell BLIde that (in example) files with extension .myprefs uses the XML parser)

In my experience with XML 90+% of files have a header at the top that identifies them as XML files. Here's the only 3 variations I found in about 30 files picked at random from a .xml system search. The header being the first line of text at the top of the page.

Either:
<?xml version="1.0" ?>
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
<?xml version="1.0"?><CERTIFICATECHAIN><CERTIFICATE>P

ziggy(Posted 2007) [#19]
@Evak: In current BLIde architecture, I need to know the parser to use before opening the file. Anyway, I'll let you know any progress on this matter.

ziggy(Posted 2007) [#20]
The Alpha2 testing has been already ended, so the BETA2 is ready for public download. There are still 2 important issues that will be missing (compared to version 0.8.17 b):

There will not be the color scheeme and font editor available on version 0.8.17 b, becouse it is being also rewritten to support the whole set of parsers available for version 0.9.x (that is XML, HTML, C, C++ and LUA). The list of available parsers will be increased on future releases. We're working on a INI parser and a VBScript parser with folding. All this parsers will require a BLIde Plus license.

Major changes on this version:

1.-Project Dependencies Tree: Single click on the project dependencies tree was selecting the clicked item, that was causing problems when a node in the tree was expanded.This has been solved to work in the same way it was working on version 0.8.17 b

2.- A new ultrafast mode is available. This mode disables folding, but enables the edition of very big sourcecode files at nearly 0 CPU cost.

3.-Parenthesis matching hilighting is also performed in this version

4.- LUA support is back there for all BLIde Plus users.

5.- There is a Lock window mechanism that prevents users to un-arrange the BLIde Layout by mistake

6.- The file being edited is automatically chosen in the local shortcuts tree to make navigation throug source code easier.

7.- Additionaly C++, C, XML and HTML hilighting is enabled on this BLIde BETA

8.- There is a new Window menu, with a list of all the opened documents (selectable) and some visualization options, like 'new horizontal tab group' or 'new vertical tab group' like in visual studio 2005. There is also an 'auto hide all windows' mechanism.

9.- The preferences dialog is working again, with the new parser

10.- Also the default welcome page has been redesigned to a more simple and IMHO better looking way. It also loads the news channel a lot faster making all the website access and download in a separated thread to 'fake' it is instant.

11.- There has been also a major update on the wizards, updating the wizard control to a new underlaying system that (in further versions) will conform the Vista Wizard specification. Now BLIde conforms the Wizard 97 specification by Microsoft. Also, all the drawings in the wizard control, have been updated to work with the GDI+ architecture, so they look a little better.

IMPORTANT NOTE TO BLIDE PLUS USERS:
This version has a new security system for the BLIde Plus recognition and activation, so any BLIde Plus user that wish to test the BLIde Plus features in this beta, will have to send an email to get a new speciffic activation username and password for version 0.9.x.

You can download this beta version here: http://www.blide.org/blide-0-9-1-beta.rar

Dreamora(Posted 2007) [#21]
Copy Paste with :type is broken, seems to be bound to the popup information (Beta 1 and 2)
After copy paste seems as well to create problems with the correct cursor position for shift selecting of a block afterwards. Need to test further for a specific reconstruction.

ziggy(Posted 2007) [#22]
@Dreamora: Confirmed, when a pop-up information window or autolist is displayed, the edit actions are disabled. This will be fixed. To the other things (cursor position) I'm not able to reproduce it, if you could give some additional details, It would be great.

Dreamora(Posted 2007) [#23]
Have the problem.

With copy paste, the cursor blinks at the end of the copied in text. When pressing shift and clicking somewhere to select a block from the end upwards, it selects from the beginning of the pasted in block downwards.

Seems like the internal cursor position is not the same as the visual one

ziggy(Posted 2007) [#24]
Ok, I see what you mean, I'll fix it for next release (hope the first release candidate). It seems like an easy fix. thanks :D

Muttley(Posted 2007) [#25]
Oi, ziggy, can you approve my account on your Blide forum? I registered last week some time.

I have a couple of suggestions to make. ;)

Ta muchly

Muttley

ziggy(Posted 2007) [#26]
All pending accounts have been approved in the BLIde forum.
:)

Muttley(Posted 2007) [#27]
Cheers mate. :)